Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314268 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1545 on: November 25, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

premiumnugz

« Reply #1546 on: November 25, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »
5 years ago this month

God it's vomit inducingly cringey

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1547 on: November 25, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »
Nice teeth Chris.  Ask a dog to get backers cash. Good going. I bet he is bringing Alpo to all the backers dogs tonight just like Santa Claus. Anything to keep this charade going another month.

nightfire

« Reply #1548 on: November 26, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
Q: How are NPCs coming along?
A: They’re still confined to the player hubs, but they make the hubs feel alive especially Levski.

Yeah, I can totally see that.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1549 on: November 26, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »
Q: How are NPCs coming along?
A: They’re still confined to the player hubs, but they make the hubs feel alive especially Levski.

Yeah, I can totally see that.

Ben and Lando glued at the waist, an elderly CRoberts taking advantage of an unsuspecting gamer or they got Kevin Spacey in the game. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:18:55 PM by StanTheMan »

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1550 on: November 30, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
5 years ago this month

How did I ever fall for this bullshit?

I guess I was five years younger back then. :nms:

Motto

« Reply #1551 on: November 30, 2017, 01:15:11 PM »
The reference to NMS is not correct. NMS was released as a game, and as promised. However prior to that, all the backers went completely overboard in their fantasizing about what it all would, could and should do. And Sean didn't do enough to correct them/that. So the backers created their own hype and went mad when their - not Sean's - visions weren't met. Nova Quark could await the same if they are not careful to constantly manage the expectations about Dual Universe.

Scruffpuff

« Reply #1552 on: November 30, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
The reference to NMS is not correct. NMS was released as a game, and as promised. However prior to that, all the backers went completely overboard in their fantasizing about what it all would, could and should do. And Sean didn't do enough to correct them/that. So the backers created their own hype and went mad when their - not Sean's - visions weren't met.

Finally someone else said this - I thought I was alone in the universe in spotting this.  Gaming communities are particularly adept at creating their own realities, even with near-infinite amounts of indisputable and rock-solid evidence right in front of them.

You see this shit everywhere:  Ultima Online was "killed" with PVE-PVP sharding.  (So killed that it's still going today.)  SWG was "killed" by the NGE.  (SWG was slated to be cancelled due to lack of profit - the NGE was a hail Mary pass.)  Theses opinions are repeated all over the net as fact, drowning out the actual events, until anyone casually researching years later only finds the wrong data, which gets repeated authoritatively until the truth becomes nearly impossible to find.

Meowz

« Reply #1553 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:11 PM »
The reference to NMS is not correct. NMS was released as a game, and as promised. However prior to that, all the backers went completely overboard in their fantasizing about what it all would, could and should do. And Sean didn't do enough to correct them/that. So the backers created their own hype and went mad when their - not Sean's - visions weren't met.

Finally someone else said this - I thought I was alone in the universe in spotting this.  Gaming communities are particularly adept at creating their own realities, even with near-infinite amounts of indisputable and rock-solid evidence right in front of them.

You see this shit everywhere:  Ultima Online was "killed" with PVE-PVP sharding.  (So killed that it's still going today.)  SWG was "killed" by the NGE.  (SWG was slated to be cancelled due to lack of profit - the NGE was a hail Mary pass.)  Theses opinions are repeated all over the net as fact, drowning out the actual events, until anyone casually researching years later only finds the wrong data, which gets repeated authoritatively until the truth becomes nearly impossible to find.

What was the real spark that lit the fuse was the holocron system. SWG had a rapidly growing subscription base until people found out you could unlock Jedi by randomly grinding out professions. That killed the fun for a lot of people, and the upward momentum. Everything after that was SOE's and Lucas' attempt to regain that upward momentum, but NGE did in fact "kill" the game, it was just the last of a thousand cuts for SWG.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaphKoster/20150417/241406/A_Jedi_Saga.php

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1554 on: December 01, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »
So, get this. Some dude took the Star Citizen vehicle, created it in UE4. And the results just put the Star Citizen version to shame. Physics and all

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Ghostmaker

« Reply #1555 on: December 01, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaphKoster/20150417/241406/A_Jedi_Saga.php
That Gamasutra article's fairly interesting.

One of the other things that I recall about SWG and the NGE was there was a stink about how it had invalidated a large chunk of a recent expansion -- I think it was Trials of Obi-Wan? I don't know if there were refunds, but there was a LOT of hard feelings regarding not only the loss of existing content, but the removal of content that had just been released (and not for free!) two weeks prior.

krylite

« Reply #1556 on: December 02, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
ObsidianAnt, the premiere yt fan of ED did a play review of SC in its current state presumably 3.0
Unfortunately he seems oblivious or uninformed that all he's seeing are cryengine demo levels and doesn't understand that all the glitches and low frame rate are fundamental years long issues. Hopefully that changes eventually. "test server, work in progress"(hope?)  :laugh:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:00:51 AM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1557 on: December 02, 2017, 12:32:44 PM »
No, this is good. Because I really want them to push 3.0 to live, so that the rest of the backers can see precisely how much of a disaster it is. But it's not likely that they will.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1558 on: December 02, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
Do they think it's going to improve much from the buggy picture show it is? They won't remain satisfied with this. At the worst things will continue in a slow decline. Fewer and fewer backers finding merit in playing the same limited jobs, ships not making it through the pipeline and serving no use in game. Fewer people wasting money on the latest flavor of fighter until staff cuts slow the already slow improvements to a glacial crawl.

Motto

« Reply #1559 on: December 02, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
Even on Reddit there's some serious shit being debated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk