Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1316152 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »
In keeping with the tradition of ripping off other game art, someone found that Star Marine is a Master Chief ripoff

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:18:09 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2016, 04:41:53 PM »

Meanwhile, over there...

Darklegend1

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2016, 12:01:42 AM »
In keeping with the tradition of ripping off other game art, someone found that Star Marine is a Master Chief ripoff

Meanwhile, over there...

hey derek i am new to this scene could u tell me who this guy beer4god is ? his history??

btw it is very shameful act on cig part to have copied the legendary master chief, i know they had to copy from somewhere :laugh: but copying from the most known character in gaming industry.. :wtchris:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:05:44 AM by Darklegend1 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »
hey derek i am new to this scene could u tell me who this guy beer4god is ? his history??

Beer4theBeerGod is a Goon and one of the early backers and staunch supporter of the project. He has been seeking accountability from them since the early days. Then after he apparently became a thorn in their collective sides, without any justification, they banned his RSI forum account. Then accused him of corporate espionage after I gave him the name of a ship that they were going to put on sale without disclosing it to the backers  :laugh:

You can read the entire exchange with Sandi Gardiner Roberts and get a good laugh. That's the same exchange in which she told him that she was the most qualified person at the company. Seriously.

He was still holding on, hoping that they would - by some miracle - turn the project around. At this point, seeing as it's clear that's never going to happen, a few days ago he put in for a refund for what was left (a little over $500) of his account. He had in fact liquidated (to the tune of about $1,000) some of his game assets in the past months.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:44:39 AM by dsmart »

helimoth

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »
Its time for the 25 million stretch goal: International server during alpha

The 'Galactapedia' is surprisingly absent too;

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/51whkm/whats_the_status_of_the_galactapedia/
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13812-Letter-From-The-Chairman-42-Million

Whilst not as crucial as international servers for alpha testing, you'd think a mere website feature (especially one with a $42,000,000 price tag) would be simple enough for CIG to implement.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2016, 07:46:51 AM »
Yeah, that's another one. A lot of things are missing, will never get done etc.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2016, 10:03:04 AM »

mackjazno

« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2016, 10:40:42 PM »
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:44:09 PM by mackjazno »

Kyrt

« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2016, 01:17:19 AM »
More than four years into development Star Citizen changes game engine

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/23/14062698/star-citizen-amazon-game-engine

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/12/24/star-citizen-has-changed-game-engines

And discuss...

Well...they didn't want to upgrade to CE5 because it was too much work and the engines were too different following their reworking...
But effectively did it anyway, which suggests their attempts to fix the NetCode in their CE3 engine were less than successful.

Other than that....I'd be interested to know what this mean for the game.

Is the NetCode now "fixed"...or are CIG limited in how the an modify it
Are CIG now stuck with Amazon?
What are the new instance limits? Will we get the 200 players per instance CIG were wanting or is that still some time away?
CIG had reportedly stopping using CE patches because the code base had diverged so much...how does that work for Lumberyard? When they say all the changes made have been moved to Lumberyard, does that mean it's been tested and intergrated smoothly as well or does it mean we are in for a year of "testing" instead of development and progress?
When they say they have moved to Lumberyard...could that mean they may simply have licensed the Netcode and effectively merged it into StarEngine rather than vice versa? That is, kept as much of their own engine intact and made as few other changes as possible in order to fix the netcode?
Does Lumberyard offer CIG any other advantages?

More importantly....does this mean work on the Engine has "finished"? Can we expect quicker progress? Can we expect SOME progress?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:25:49 AM by Kyrt »

Scruffpuff

« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
Well...they didn't want to upgrade to CE5 because it was too much work and the engines were too different following their reworking...
But effectively did it anyway, which suggests their attempts to fix the NetCode in their CE3 engine were less than successful.

Other than that....I'd be interested to know what this mean for the game.

Is the NetCode now "fixed"...or are CIG limited in how the an modify it
Are CIG now stuck with Amazon?
What are the new instance limits? Will we get the 200 players per instance CIG were wanting or is that still some time away?
CIG had reportedly stopping using CE patches because the code base had diverged so much...how does that work for Lumberyard? When they say all the changes made have been moved to Lumberyard, does that mean it's been tested and intergrated smoothly as well or does it mean we are in for a year of "testing" instead of development and progress?
When they say they have moved to Lumberyard...could that mean they may simply have licensed the Netcode and effectively merged it into StarEngine rather than vice versa? That is, kept as much of their own engine intact and made as few other changes as possible in order to fix the netcode?
Does Lumberyard offer CIG any other advantages?

More importantly....does this mean work on the Engine has "finished"? Can we expect quicker progress? Can we expect SOME progress?

Lumberyard might be based on CryEngine, but it's Amazon's adjustments in it, not CIG's.  Every custom modification - years of work - from both CIG and Crytek employees are now reset to zero.

The netcode was never "broken" per se - it's that the built-in CryEngine netcode could not support what CIG was trying to do - it's not an MMO engine.  Lumberyard is also not an MMO engine.  So the netcode work also starts over.

There's no "merging" either - the changes to create "StarEngine" were too deep.  CIG's developers have gone on the record, in attempting to validate delays and lack of progress, saying that they've changed over 50% of the CryEngine code base.  Now those same people are claiming that it's a simple process to merge their changes into Lumberyard because it's so "similar."

Yeah, similar except for the 50% they've been crowing about for years.  They basically need to change 50% of the Lumberyard code now ("LumberStar?") and how long that will take is anyone's guess.  Not to mention that the results of their work were embarrassingly bad, and there's no guarantee that Lumberyard will do any better.  On top of that, there's no guarantee that Amazon will allow them to host a deeply modified version of Lumberyard on their servers without understanding the impact their changes will make to their infrastructure from a security and performance perspective.

If I was forced at gunpoint to contrive a positive spin on this, I would say that CIG's familiarity with their own changes to CryEngine over the years means that the migration to Lumberyard would take less time than it would to migrate to an entirely new engine, such as Unreal.  That's what I'd say at gunpoint.

Not at gunpoint, I'd say LOL.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 06:37:25 AM by Scruffpuff »

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2016, 07:05:02 AM »
Lumbering around the yard, how fitting.

Kyrt

« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2016, 10:04:32 AM »
Lumberyard might be based on CryEngine, but it's Amazon's adjustments in it, not CIG's.  Every custom modification - years of work - from both CIG and Crytek employees are now reset to zero.

As I understand it.

The netcode was never "broken" per se - it's that the built-in CryEngine netcode could not support what CIG was trying to do - it's not an MMO engine.  Lumberyard is also not an MMO engine.  So the netcode work also starts over.

I thought Lumberyard had an upgraded netcode attached?

But maybe I am wrong.

As it is...If I understand what Lumberyard is, I would say the advantages here are that it provides CIG with a ready made global server architecture, and the licensing (if not support) fees are reasonable. As in, non existent. That might be a decent saving for them depending on their license terms from CryTek.

As for how simple "merging" the code bases are, I don't have a clue. OTOH - maybe it is as simple as simply dropping Amazons netcode into StarEngine, on the assumption Amazon would be OK with that.

Mehlan

« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2016, 11:12:23 AM »
"Lumberyard might be based on CryEngine, but it's Amazon's adjustments in it, not CIG's.  Every custom modification - years of work - from both CIG and Crytek employees are now reset to zero."

Actually, according to Chris, it's already done...    Lol, of course the reality of the situation is another matter.

p.s....

"If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!"

Wait a minute Chris, according to gamescon you were 'hoping' to have both 2.6 AND 3.0 out before the end of the year...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:48:28 AM by Mehlan »

Darklegend1

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2016, 06:03:16 AM »
where did all the folks go??/ no new post on the site since 24th

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk