Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1313204 times)

krylite

Re: Star Citizen - General
« Reply #2235 on: August 05, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »
If the new 2019 season for Elite:Dangerous is called "4.x" and CIG's '3.4' is pushed to Q1/2019, then I'd bet they'll rename it '4.x' just as they have been for some time pretending to be close on the same racetrack as Frontier,  :eonwe: .
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:07:19 PM by krylite »

N0mad

« Reply #2236 on: August 09, 2018, 12:02:37 AM »
Saw your Tweet:  https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-07-novaquark-signs-usd3-5-million-funding-deal-for-dual-universe

So let me get this right: Novaquark have not only made more progress with their massive go anywhere, fly anything, BUILD anything MMO than SC. But they've done it in 4 years so far with about $12 million and 40 people?

And people still wonder why we think SC has become a scam.

David-2

« Reply #2237 on: August 09, 2018, 07:52:51 AM »
So let me get this right: Novaquark have not only made more progress with their massive go anywhere, fly anything, BUILD anything MMO than SC. But they've done it in 4 years so far with about $12 million and 40 people?

Now we know what the next generation of SC jpegs will look like ....

dexatron

« Reply #2238 on: August 14, 2018, 04:11:21 PM »
I just wanted to make a quick comment about Chris Roberts talking about figuring out the ships control systems, that just blew my mind that this late in the game something so straight forward is not nailed down!   This is the first thing I would have done.
 Jeeze his though process is so muddled!

Was the 2012 demo just a a video?  Was anything playable at that point?  If not it's all just a pack of lies, from beginning to end.

And hi btw, I've been lurking here for a few years, I finally realized that the registration emails were going to spam on my email server!

Greg
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2239 on: August 14, 2018, 04:50:29 PM »
Was the 2012 demo just a a video?

Yes. That much has already been verified and proven. That's why NONE of what you saw in the pitch video exists today. Crytek made that demo. They said so in their lawsuit.

Was anything playable at that point?  If not it's all just a pack of lies, from beginning to end.

Yes, it was playable because it was made that way. They just recorded it using the movie maker within CryEngine

And hi btw, I've been lurking here for a few years, I finally realized that the registration emails were going to spam on my email server!

Yeah, hate it when that happens
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #2240 on: August 14, 2018, 04:57:00 PM »
I just wanted to make a quick comment about Chris Roberts talking about figuring out the ships control systems, that just blew my mind that this late in the game something so straight forward is not nailed down!   This is the first thing I would have done.
 Jeeze his though process is so muddled!

Was the 2012 demo just a a video?  Was anything playable at that point?  If not it's all just a pack of lies, from beginning to end.

Greg

Hindsight we find out that even from the very get go of the ks the lies started.

The interesting part is on the KS, direct quote:

"We know it may not look like this, but we do!

What you've seen was put together by a very small team over the past year. We felt that this vision needed to be shown rather than talked about so we invested our own money to build the technical and visual prototype that shows just how Star Citizen is going to push the limits of PC games."

Second is this:
David Haddock states Chris was working on the game back in 2010.

dexatron

« Reply #2241 on: August 14, 2018, 04:58:25 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Derek,

it's funny that all CR had to do was deliver a new Wing Commander/Freelancer with upgraded graphics to be successful. He had everything he needed to entertain and build an engine that you could keep on developing and the community would have piled on the enthusiasm! that's my idea of a developers paradise... it would have been an instant hit with what he had shown.

I was also an early backer, and now looking back I have to ask was there ever any sincerity to his pitch?   
Wing Commander games were my favorites (after Stellar Trek on the Apple ][)!

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do

dexatron

« Reply #2242 on: August 14, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »
@jwh

28:44 -> back in 2010 - he had a very 'loose' idea of kind of what he wanted to capture... the feeling he wanted to capture...

lol how things haven't changed!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2243 on: August 14, 2018, 06:04:15 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Derek,

it's funny that all CR had to do was deliver a new Wing Commander/Freelancer with upgraded graphics to be successful. He had everything he needed to entertain and build an engine that you could keep on developing and the community would have piled on the enthusiasm! that's my idea of a developers paradise... it would have been an instant hit with what he had shown.

I was also an early backer, and now looking back I have to ask was there ever any sincerity to his pitch?   
Wing Commander games were my favorites (after Stellar Trek on the Apple ][)!

That's the game we all thought he was actually making. That's why we backed it. Once he figured out that he could sell scope creep, he lost the plot.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dexatron

« Reply #2244 on: August 17, 2018, 06:40:44 AM »
So going back in time,

Chris Roberts approaches Crytek, and convinces them to create the demo game that he crowdfunds.   This demo was a huge effort materially and financially on the part of Crytek.

Crytek takes a huge risk on Chris Roberts while no one else will.  Their demos must have cost a fortune, and they really worked.

CR's deal with Crytek involves collaboration so that both parties will gain.  Crytek gets an enhanced engine, experience, visibility and prestige.  CR gets to use a leading edge game engine at a discount to make Star Citizen and to make lots of $$$  Also there is a huge transfer of knowledge that takes place from Crytek to CIG/RSI, incuding the base space sim engine that Crytek developed.

The crowdfunding works out too well, and the CR scam is on.  With a half-assed effort to develop Star Citizen, and focusing on extracting money from suckers, CIG and RSI give Crytek pretty bad heartburn over the past several years of headless non-development.

Crytek is very concerned because their name is now attached to a scam and they have absolutely no ability to bring Chris Roberts back to the ground.  The jpeg storm is in full progress.

The moment when CIG/RSI jumps to Lumberyard is an Alleluia moment for Crytek, they finally have a way out and a way to deal with Chris Roberts.  The history is there, they have the proof.

Along comes Derek, shines a megawatt spotlight on the whole affair,  cuts through the bullshit and tells the real story.  For this he is attacked nonstop.

The Shitizen zombie army swarms like angry hornets trying to protect their nest from a baseball bat, but like the hornets they are doomed.  Disinformation reigns supreme.

Crytek has its moment in court, and pastes CIG/RSI to the wall.(if justice carries)

It seems to me that Crytek could finish Star Citizen /SQ42 given a chance, seeing as how it is their engine and their demo in the first place.

-----------------------------------
 --> you nailed it Derek -- they are so screwed, Crytek ends up owning CIG/RSI.  I can't wait to read what you have to say about the second filing!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:06:20 AM by dexatron »

N0mad

« Reply #2245 on: August 17, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
That seems to be a good summary, but I'd add the following:

Star Citizen & SQ42, the best damn space sim ever to be made with a Hollywood cast to rival Star Wars, has always been Chris's dream. So when he miserably failed in the game industry after Freelancer, which was originally an attempt to achieve this, he shopped this idea around the game studios. As I understand nobody would touch him until Crytek game him a chance and built the demo for him (which he has claimed as his own work all these years). The mixture of Wing Commander nostalgia, Chris's name and the graphics in the demo brought out many of the fans of Chris's old games who by now had enough disposable income to throw at his kickstarter project.

The problems was: Chris really isn't very good at managing game projects. He's a salesman at heart who gets carried away with his ideas of his dream game. Nor is he very original, he has a long history of trying to copy better ideas. So when he realised that people would throw money at him for his dreams, all he had to do was increase the scope and ask for more, then sell JPEGs, then land etc. I think he really wants to make the promised game, they all do. But Chris can't make or manage games, he expects too much to be done in too little time, and even if it is done, it's never done to his satisfaction. He's also more of a movie man at heart, he cares more about the visual fidelity than other things like the underlying technology and gameplay.

All in all: Chris Roberts sold his dream, got surprised when people kept giving him money but then got greedy and kept asking for more. Walking away from the Crytek deal was probably done for greed as well: no license fee to pay (plus access to the Amazon servers).

Please correct me if I'm wrong with that summary. I Can't wait to see what happens next.

Penny579

« Reply #2246 on: August 19, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »
Chris Prmosied to build a game without evil publishers to cut out the middleman.

Next day hired other studios to build his game, just like a publisher.

Then pulled the rug out of the studios he hired for making the game exactly as he wanted, or progress fast enough just like a publisher.

Tried to make the game himself, with more people and a bigger budget and but has even less to show for it. To support this huger effort Now has all the evil micro and invented the macro pre-order transaction, setting new levels of evil for even for a publishers.

8 years later, he is well off but has made 2k videos on how great he is at making games, 4 web pages and a law suit but still no games....

Re-watching the original pitch video I reckon he is being sincere about his desire to make a game, then he got given millions and thought he was a rockstar developer who knew best, in Hollywood people throwing money at his feet, hanging with Mark Hammil.  8 years later its got to be dawning on him he is a fraud who fluked it. Hope he skimmed enough from the project, i'd be shocked if he finds backing for another game or movie after this.

jwh1701

« Reply #2247 on: August 21, 2018, 01:30:07 PM »
If you would like to see some terrible analogies that are lol and has Derek taken totally out of context this thread is for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9950p9/my_personal_opinion_about_socalled_star_citizen/

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2248 on: August 21, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »
If you would like to see some terrible analogies that are lol and has Derek taken totally out of context this thread is for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9950p9/my_personal_opinion_about_socalled_star_citizen/

Jesus  :negativeman-55f:

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #2249 on: August 22, 2018, 01:28:32 AM »
A shame that he likes to post his drivel where only his fellow cultists can pat him on the back in the universal echo chamber.  What does it matter if NMS was lacking much of it's hyped gameplay, they fixed it (so I hear). These other games dont matter either we are not talking about other titles, we are talking about a game with AAA budget and hasnt hitalpha status. Hasnt even gotten 25% of the games lelments working, no worse. Hasn't even got a decent fucking flight model yet. What is that shit? Ships act like they weigh nothing, have no mass, move like paper mache on a string. Sad.

I dont want ignorant innocent people buying in, expecting to have a great time only to find a janky buggy mess. Then they figure it's their PC at issue. After a few weeks, buying a better SSD and newer video card they realize it's not them, the game is shit and now they cannot get a refund. This happens over and over. Is this the part of belonging he is referring to? That wonderful feeling of getting commually fucked over?

Some people are just dense, not even worth arguing with.
 I hope he makes an allotment and gives 10% of his gross pay to Robbers as a tithe to CIG.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk