Games > Star Citizen

Chris Roberts - A Legacy Of Failure

(1/10) > >>

dsmart:
Much has been written about this "visionary", Chris Roberts, despite the fact that, aside from Wing Commander, all his legacy amounts to is a string of failed or games he wasn't directly involved in, failed movies and studio, and various other failed enterprises - all of which started and finished which him playing with, and losing, other people's money. And it started right after he left EA to form Digital Anvil.

Recently a post appeared on FDev forums which highlighted some comments (see page 45-46) from the Strike Commander manual. A game which, like Freelancer, echoed the same traits that we're now seeing with Star Citizen. Except this time, it's not publishers money; but money from gamers, investors and banks.

As is now known, Microsoft, after investing in Digital Anvil, ended up buying the company, and booting Roberts, Zurovec and others out shortly thereafter in 2000. In 2005, Microsoft eventually shutdown Digital Anvil and sold off some of it's game IP.

Here is a GameSpot interview which sheds some light on how the move to Microsoft came about.

--- Quote ---GS: In a time when a developer's freedom is fast becoming scarce, why would you choose to make Digital Anvil a division of the world's largest software company?

CR: It's very difficult to build wildly ambitious games without the financial security of a larger company, especially when their development cycles are so unpredictable. Freelancer was meant to take three years - it will probably be four and a half years by the time it is done. It's very tough for an independent developer to weather that kind of slip, and it's not just Digital Anvil. I believe all A+ games require severe patience and funds - witness Team Fortress 2 and Black & White.

--- End quote ---

An interview about the death of the celebrity studio:

--- Quote ---Digital Anvil Hammered

The next high profile collapse was to be Digital Anvil, co-founded in 1997 by the brothers behind the Wing Commander and Privateer series, Chris and Erin Roberts. The company soon had four seperate titles under development, not to mention the truly awful Wing Commander movie helmed by Chris Roberts.

Four years later their sole release to date is a rather unremarkable space combat sim called Starlancer. In fact, most of the actual work on the game had been done by a British developer called Warthog, so arguably Digital Anvil still haven't released anything of their own after four years. With the company still soaking up money and no end in sight for many of its more ambitious titles, something had to give.

In November publisher Microsoft announced that they had pulled the plug on space strategy game Conquest, apparently because it didn't meet their high expectations. It was already two years late. This proved to be the end for Digital Anvil, as just days later Microsoft announced that they had bought out the ailing company. Loose Cannon, another long overdue title, was also canned, with the designer leaving the company and eventually striking up a deal with UbiSoft to complete work on it. Chris Roberts will be leaving the company as soon as he has finished his work on Freelancer.

--- End quote ---

The History of Wing Commander

Back On The Flight Deck: An Interview With Wing Commander’s Chris Roberts

We are seeing history repeating itself with Star Citizen, and by all accounts, it's not going to end well.

Kyrt:

--- Quote from: dsmart on November 28, 2016, 09:56:00 AM ---We are seeing history repeating itself with Star Citizen, and by all accounts, it's not going to end well.

--- End quote ---

And I sincerely hope you are wrong.

I can see the concerns you have raised - but I really like the idea, concept and vision behind Star Citizen.
I want to play it.

Not enough to make me hand over my money to support development but I really want to buy the game when it is released.
So - I want it to be released. I want it to fulfil Chris Roberts' vision. I want it to fulfil the promises made. I want it to be good enough to buy.

So I really, really, really hope you are wrong.

Sadly - while I believe a game will probably be released, I think it won't meet the promises CIG has made. It might still be a good game - but I don't think it can match the hype and expectations.

helimoth:

--- Quote from: Kyrt on November 28, 2016, 10:28:20 AM ---
--- Quote from: dsmart on November 28, 2016, 09:56:00 AM ---We are seeing history repeating itself with Star Citizen, and by all accounts, it's not going to end well.

--- End quote ---

I can see the concerns you have raised - but I really like the idea, concept and vision behind Star Citizen.
I want to play it.

Not enough to make me hand over my money to support development but I really want to buy the game when it is released.
So - I want it to be released. I want it to fulfil Chris Roberts' vision. I want it to fulfil the promises made. I want it to be good enough to buy.

Sadly - while I believe a game will probably be released, I think it won't meet the promises CIG has made. It might still be a good game - but I don't think it can match the hype and expectations.

--- End quote ---

I want to see a release too but that's just because I'm an awful person and I just want to see an SC where the people who have spent thousands finally realize their 'investment' bought them zero in-game advantages. Should it release, RSI are going to be very thirsty for new cash and will immediately set about depreciating any ingame value or purpose of the currently pledged-for ships. I'd almost guarantee it. The thousand-dollar tears shed on that day will be the saltiest of them all and I intend to bottle them to be sold as a vintage.

Stan:

--- Quote from: Kyrt on November 28, 2016, 10:28:20 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I want to play it.

--- End quote ---

A game isn't going to be released.

CR seems to have learnt NOTHING other than how to rob people.

Propaganda Machine:

--- Quote from: helimoth on November 28, 2016, 10:45:36 AM ---I want to see a release too but that's just because I'm an awful person and I just want to see an SC where the people who have spent thousands finally realize their 'investment' bought them zero in-game advantages. Should it release, RSI are going to be very thirsty for new cash and will immediately set about depreciating any ingame value or purpose of the currently pledged-for ships. I'd almost guarantee it. The thousand-dollar tears shed on that day will be the saltiest of them all and I intend to bottle them to be sold as a vintage.

--- End quote ---

You know, I have never, ever wanted to spend money on, much less play, Star Citizen, but you make a good point here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version