Games > All Gaming Chatter

Elite Dangerous

(1/31) > >>

Rogerio:
Hi folks, does anyone here play Elite Dangerous and can give me some feedback if its worth starting it now?

I used to play EvE since 2004 and I quit some years ago and that was one type of game that if you left, you could literally never catch up with people who continued it.

So, is it easy to get into ED?

Do we even have a "community" there that people play together, etc?

Also, do they have any referral system as I am thinking in getting it, so might as well help a fellow member here. :)  :snoop:

dsmart:
Check the kermits_pad_a_terre channel on my Discord server. If you don't have access, let me know.

Beexoffel:
My message here, it has disappeared. Lost in the refactoring of the forum?
Anyway, let me reiterate:
I've been playing Elite:Dangerous a couple of days per week most weeks since November 2014. I'm good at grinding.

Kyrt:

--- Quote from: Rogerio on December 02, 2016, 05:15:46 AM ---Hi folks, does anyone here play Elite Dangerous and can give me some feedback if its worth starting it now?

I used to play EvE since 2004 and I quit some years ago and that was one type of game that if you left, you could literally never catch up with people who continued it.

So, is it easy to get into ED?

Do we even have a "community" there that people play together, etc?

Also, do they have any referral system as I am thinking in getting it, so might as well help a fellow member here. :)  :snoop:

--- End quote ---

Elite....IMO....is a decent game. Not great, it has problems and issues of its own.....but I still play it and have fun.

It is vast....but much of that vastness does feel a bit empty
It has a lot to do...but there is a lot of grinding

Frontier have made a number of decisions that i think were mistakes and there are many areas which could be improved.

Again, IMO.

But....I still play it....I still have fun....it looks beautiful and has great sound....the flight model feels 'right' to me...

And if it is unstructured and vast today, Frontier are still developing it and have ambitious plans to add new features and gameplay aspects, and are continuing to improve those already in the game.

Don't expect ED to be the BDSSE. But there are player groupings...ED could do with some better Clan/Guild systems though...and it isn't impossible to catchup with the front ranks. Time consuming perhaps but not impossible.

Is it easy to get into? For the basics? Yes. It could be better but it's devent enough if you know the type of game.

And no...no referral system.

If you like this type of game I'd say give it a go. You'll want the basic game and the Horizons pass for the full current experience but there is no subscription fee.

dsmart:
Yeah, I am a big fan of ED as well, though they have made some questionable decisions. What is concerning to me is that it looks like, aside from maybe space legs, they are probably not going to take it as far as they possibly could.

What we space simmers need is a triple-A quality capital ship game with the visuals and audio direction of ED which, to me, has set the bar very high in that regard. Into The Stars totally blew it. So it looks like only Universal Combat remains in that arena; but the last time I released a title in the series was back in 2009.  :cripes:

In fact, I decided to start small by doing some visual and backend upgrades to Universal Combat CE, gauging the response, then branching out to multiplayer and then fps inside stations and capital ships like we have in Line Of Defense via DLC updates down the road.

The genre has always been niche, and indies really don't have that much money to spend on such a title. In fact, to do what I want to do with UCCE would cost north of $5 million, easy. I don't think Battlescape Infinity or Dual Universe are going to make a dent in the genre either because more titles isn't the answer; more quality titles with a broad scope is where I believe the future for the genre lies. Which is precisely why I had backed Star Citizen, thinking that it was going to cross that threshold. But alas, here we are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version