Author Topic: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs  (Read 319155 times)

CatEars

Re: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs
« Reply #510 on: October 24, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »
LoL's finances solved. Add Battle Royal game mode?

Shoot ‘em Up
Preview a new high-octane game mode coming to Star Citizen

At 5pm during CitCon there is a strange presentation titled shoot'em up.

GaryII

« Reply #511 on: October 31, 2019, 02:18:56 AM »
 Like Star Marine was COD killer :D
 high-octane = just lol

P.S.
COD just made 600m in 3 days :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 04:35:58 AM by GaryII »

N0mad

« Reply #512 on: November 23, 2019, 02:25:28 PM »
So...

Just watching the CitizenCon stuff. The Theatres of War features seems like a really good idea: a game mode built to be fun and fast by a guy who knows how to make games.

BUT is this game mode too good? It looks like much more fun that the PU. Will Chris allow it? Especially if it proves more popular than his dream screenshot / walking simulator?

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #513 on: November 23, 2019, 04:49:11 PM »
So...

Just watching the CitizenCon stuff. The Theatres of War features seems like a really good idea: a game mode built to be fun and fast by a guy who knows how to make games.

BUT is this game mode too good? It looks like much more fun that the PU. Will Chris allow it? Especially if it proves more popular than his dream screenshot / walking simulator?

To be fair, it did look pretty good didn't it? Looks like a game. A fun game at that. Worm tunnel things looked fun too. Could be worth keeping an eye on this Star Citizen thing.

Motto

« Reply #514 on: November 23, 2019, 04:53:15 PM »
Do not feed the troll!

N0mad

« Reply #515 on: November 24, 2019, 04:17:13 AM »
Do not feed the troll!

My point is that the ToW sub game could easily overshadow the PU (and SQ42 for that matter). If people only play ToW then what incentive do they have to buy JPEGs? Perhaps they'll run it on laggy servers to make it less popular, just as they cancelled the preview at CitizenCon when the queue got too long and they worried not enough people would attend the talks.

Motto

« Reply #516 on: November 24, 2019, 05:01:08 AM »
There is no game and there never will be. If anything, Citizen Con showed clearly no progress at all. No news, no updates, no new jpgs, nothing of substance according with the 500+ devs working a whole year. And Chris showed it too. It is game over and he knows it. There won't be a Citizen Con 2020. His "this is it, the end" was in regard to the whole SC fiasco.

N0mad

« Reply #517 on: November 24, 2019, 05:09:59 AM »
Nah, I think they've done enough to convince the whales to keep it going for another year.

Although, I thought it was interesting that there wasn't a brand new ship to sell this year. Come to think of it: there seemed to be fewer new JPEGs to buy this year, apart from the minelayer. Either I haven't been following it or perhaps CIG are concentrating more on the whales via private channels to raise funds.

PS. and no sign of Sandi on stage - unless I missed it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:53:31 AM by N0mad »

wiser3754

« Reply #518 on: November 24, 2019, 03:36:00 PM »
Where the hell was Squadron 42? The game has 10 months left in development until beta release.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #519 on: November 24, 2019, 03:46:38 PM »
There is no game and there never will be. If anything, Citizen Con showed clearly no progress at all. No news, no updates, no new jpgs, nothing of substance according with the 500+ devs working a whole year. And Chris showed it too. It is game over and he knows it. There won't be a Citizen Con 2020. His "this is it, the end" was in regard to the whole SC fiasco.

Would love to bet on that with you. I'm pretty sure it's not the first time that claim has been made. Next year's conning of citizens will happen. €50 says so.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #520 on: November 26, 2019, 10:36:47 AM »
So...

They basically went out and made Line Of Defense  :emot-allears:

This is the thing, as long as they keep expanding the scope of the game, while not completing previous promises, they never - ever - have to finish it.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #522 on: April 26, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
Star Citizen scope creep and the legacy of failure

Great amount of good information presented and refreshers, with it never ending and broken promises its impossible to remember it all.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #523 on: April 28, 2020, 06:19:55 AM »
They literally dropped what they were working on, saw that Battle Royale was a big thing, and not having much to show for the annual CitizenCon backer whaling, came up with this travesty.

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/star-citizen-theaters-of-war-hands-on-a9ZF25X8i7v2

https://www.polygon.com/pc/2019/11/24/20980517/star-citizen-release-dates-pc-theaters-of-war-squadron-42-anvil-carrack-citizencon-2019

I mean, watch the presentation and video play through. All that work. All those resources. All that time. Wasted.

That was Nov 2019. By April 2020, they had shit-canned it in favor of yet another unannounced "feature". Prison gamplay.

"The idea was that we give a 30 minute experience that was chock full of combat right in your face, straight away. I'm pretty happy with it now" - Sean Tracy, Nov 25th 2019

By Jan 2020? Crickets. They basically, again, put resources into an endeavor designed to milk the whales while giving a patently false sense of progress. And it's not the first time either.

As to parallel dev, that's not how that works. You can do things in parallel as long as they are within the original design and scope. Allocating resources to a feature that either useless, not in the design docs and which serves no purpose, is scope creep - and I would argue is fraudulent if done with the intent to mislead (publishers, investors, backers etc)

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #524 on: April 28, 2020, 04:30:03 PM »
I forget its been so long since they announced Tow.

While I'm kind of thinking it was something they had a chance of achieving, a sub standard space battlefield, it is interesting it seems to have been dropped or kicked into the long grass. What a waste of resources again. Their lack of focus is amazing to behold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk