Author Topic: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs  (Read 330769 times)

Padrepapp

Re: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 02:20:31 AM »
Next thing you know, I'm being accused of doxxing, stalking, being the anti-Christ etc.

Surely you meant anti-Chris not anti-Christ  :wtchris:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 05:13:37 AM »
Next thing you know, I'm being accused of doxxing, stalking, being the anti-Christ etc.

Surely you meant anti-Chris not anti-Christ  :wtchris:

LOL!! I see what you did there!  :laugh:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 06:12:21 AM »
I've been in this industry for almost 30 years. I've seen many companies, teams and products, fail, succeed, disappear etc. I can tell you - with unbridled certainty - that whatever it is they end up "releasing"; MVP or not, won't make a dent. It won't be another ED. It won't be another Eve. Heck, it won't even be another COD:IW (which was considered a failure simply due to the metrics of previous versions in the series, and not because it was a bad game or a financial loss - which it wasn't).

And there is no chance in hell that it will even approach the likes of the upcoming ME:A (though that's more in competition with SQ42, than SC).

They had a chance. That chance blew past them back in Nov 2014. And that window of opportunity will never come again.

They gambled on money vs product. They chose and won the former. They gained from that because people got jobs, contractors made money, the creators and execs got rich. Off free money by trusting and gullible gamers.

All they had to do was ship the original vision 1.0 in Nov 2014; then use their financial windfall to build on that. It would have bought them a lot of goodwill, leeway etc, but not raise as much money because that "dream" would have been limited compared to the vision 2.0 hallucination. And the only reason they got this far with vision 2.0 and this much money, is because they continued to trade on lies, while abusing the goodwill of our somewhat deluded and gullible gamer friends.

I am going to say it again. They have missed the opportunity, made too many promises, and set unrealistic goals. As a result, there is simply no way on this God's Earth that this ends on any positive note. When the crash (that's slowly playing out behind the scenes) comes - and it surely will - it will be sudden, it will be swift, and it will be shocking. And we will all be here, frantically digging up posts, threads etc (that's why I use Evernote and ClipMate) and stifling the urge to keep copy and pasting our smug "I told you so" anecdotes.

The project is on life support, and there is no reviving it.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Stan

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »
The corvette was a bit moment for me.

It was always  seen to be a banker for CIG and since the Polaris was launched last year that indicated to me that  they needed more cash quickly.

They should be milking the merchandise a bit more and I wonder if we will see discounted in game currency vouchers being sold and much more in game clothing and other skins etc.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:01:43 PM by Stan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »
The only way they are going to be able to fully monetize in-game items, is if there is a use for them. Right now, there isn't.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
There is a rumor going around that  Amazon may be the new Star Citizen publisher. I wrote about it moments ago.

Flashwit

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »
That seems pretty crazy, although to be honest I was expecting at some point that a publisher would jump in to save them from themselves. I just didn't know if they would be able to find one with how ridiculous their situation is.

In good news, this means that they'll at least probably release a game at some point. Who knows what that game will be though.

nightfire

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
There is a rumor going around that  Amazon may be the new Star Citizen publisher. I wrote about it moments ago.

On a side note, is it only me, or are the posts in "Star Citizen - The Scoop" in seemingly irregular chronological order? (Top post is from Sep2016 – this Amazon post comes in second despite being more recent, followed by a couple of posts in order, then some chronologically out-of-order posts again). Just asking because I don't want to miss anything, and I habitually only check the top of the thread to see what's new.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »

On a side note, is it only me, or are the posts in "Star Citizen - The Scoop" in seemingly irregular chronological order? (Top post is from Sep2016 – this Amazon post comes in second despite being more recent, followed by a couple of posts in order, then some chronologically out-of-order posts again). Just asking because I don't want to miss anything, and I habitually only check the top of the thread to see what's new.

No clue. It's probably how they are displayed. The last post I made in that thread was on Jan 12, 2017. So it's below today's post. The Sept 16 one is just the header/sticky; as that's when the thread was created. As a sticky, it will always be at the top.

What are you seeing exactly?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »
That seems pretty crazy, although to be honest I was expecting at some point that a publisher would jump in to save them from themselves. I just didn't know if they would be able to find one with how ridiculous their situation is.

In good news, this means that they'll at least probably release a game at some point. Who knows what that game will be though.

LumberYard needs a boost because it’s not widely adopted. But using it to sell AWS is a tough call because contrary to popular belief the AWS costs can be prohibitive – especially for multiplayer games. And when those games stop making enough money to pay for AWS, well, it’s sunset time. So in the case of Star Citizen, I just don’t see how AMZ buying or publishing this game makes sense. It’s a massive financial and PR liability. And if that were to happen, the end result is that those acting like they are in a cult will just end up blaming AMZ for ruining Chris’s ‘vision‘ if they shipped anything less than what he has promised – even as all indications are that he can’t deliver on said promises anyway. With $145m (if you believe it) to date in liability, what exactly would AMZ be buying for them to even recoup that; let alone make any money? All that money is basically pre-orders with very little room for further monetization. Not even if it came to consoles. It makes no sense for them to do it; which is why I find it hard to believe this rumor. But if AMZ is going to do this as a way of marketing LumberYard + AWS for games, it’s one heck of an expensive spend – aside from it being completely nonsensical.

Motto

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
Nice try Derek, but of course the Shitizens will not blame the downfall on Amazon even if they would buy it (nobody in their right mind would do such a thing). The one and only blame for the downfall of SC is you, Derek Smart, of course. I'd be hiring several bodyguards if I were you when the downfall is there  :D

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
Nice try Derek, but of course the Shitizens will not blame the downfall on Amazon even if they would buy it (nobody in their right mind would do such a thing). The one and only blame for the downfall of SC is you, Derek Smart, of course. I'd be hiring several bodyguards if I were you when the downfall is there  :D

LOL!! Yeah, I'm already prepared. It was bad enough that croberts called me out and made me a target, but then Shitizens heeded the call and took it several steps further.

The project is FUBAR. There's no going back. All they have to do now is wait and see what comes next. It won't be the game they're expecting.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 01:01:42 PM »
My new blog, The Money Laundromat, is live.

Motto

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
And then you finish with "And from what I’m hearing, it won’t be long now." Oh man, the suspense is killing me. More, more, more  :allears:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 06:20:31 AM »
And then you finish with "And from what I’m hearing, it won’t be long now." Oh man, the suspense is killing me. More, more, more  :allears:

Just wait. It's hilarious in a sick kinda way. These people have no clue what's coming.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk