Author Topic: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs  (Read 331366 times)

Bubba

Re: Star Citizen Scoops, Musings and Blogs
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2018, 02:13:16 PM »
I played the twitch video whence the transcript comes and showed it to someone not following SC at all. The comment: "Four times his face and ears turn red like he's lying"

StanTheMan

« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
Those interview transcripts are remarkable.  I understand that when people talk off-the-cuff in response to questions the answer, for most people untrained to it, is most likely to be a "stream of consciousness". 

But "consciousness" means "the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings" and I see precious little of that in his remarks. 

So maybe I'd call it a kind of circumstantial speech or disordered thoughts - or maybe just "stream of fantasy".

Whatever it is it is certainly not conducive to getting a game out.

Yes.  He talks like someone that hasn't been asked many probing questions and had to reply honestly.

He waffles and his thought processes are disjointed.

He has never really had to discipline himself because he has had a relatively easy ride through life.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2018, 07:48:41 AM »
Those interview transcripts are remarkable.  I understand that when people talk off-the-cuff in response to questions the answer, for most people untrained to it, is most likely to be a "stream of consciousness". 

But "consciousness" means "the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings" and I see precious little of that in his remarks. 

So maybe I'd call it a kind of circumstantial speech or disordered thoughts - or maybe just "stream of fantasy".

Whatever it is it is certainly not conducive to getting a game out.

That's the mark of an inexperienced con man. Also, zero accountability means that he never has to be concerned about the shit he is saying. If he had a publisher or investors to answer to, things would be different.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2018, 06:33:05 AM »
My latest Star Citizen blog is live.

http://dereksmart.com/2018/01/star-citizen-the-fall/

With this nonsense (Chris Roberts on Multiplayer, Single Player and Instancing) from 2012.

Excerpt:

"In Star Citizen there is going to be one persistent universe server that everyone exists on. So you will never be separated from your friends, and if you want you’ll be able to join up and adventure together, you can. Due to the fidelity of the dogfighting and physics simulation we can’t however handle thousands of players in the same area of space. Even if you had enough internet bandwidth to handle the data going back and forth and a super computer for the server there’s no PC, even with quad SLI that could render that many spaceships with Star Citizen’s fidelity.” – Chris Roberts, Nov 11, 2012

And this word salad below from Feb 2016:

Q: What type of work is being done to increase the server population capacity? Should we expect to see 24 or 32 player instances in the near future?

A: The answer to that is ABSOLUTELY, I think, ah, if you've been watching some of the chatter on the recent, ah, PTU RELEASES, and, ah, you know, what's gonna be in 2.2... eh, it is, ah, gonna be 24 players, so we've been working, ah, ah, HARD on sort of optimizing areas so we can sort of scale more, I think I've mentioned before that the, you know, the biggest issue that we have is uhm, uh, just the overhead that the ships have because they're very complicated, they have multiple... items that have all this functionality, they need to talk to each other over the network... they're attached to SHIPS, a ship isn't just one entity you know, in the case of a HORNET it can be fifty or sixty, in the case of a BIGGER ship it's a lot more than... fifty or sixty, so they're very heavy, ah, sort of PROCESSING WISE and the SERVER in terms of just SIMULATION and also in... in network, um, sort of TRAFFIC... So, in general, that's, em, you know, more the limiting... FACTOR which... we've been WORKING ON, so we're... we're REFACTORING a lot of things to... make it much more, ah, SMART about when it has to UPDATE, ah, and all the other things and that sort of ties into the work that we've done in the past on the ZONE SYSTEM, we're doing sort of a, uh, whatever you wanna call it, a NETWORK LOD and an UPDATE LOD that sort of scopes depending on, you know, whether you can SEE THINGS, how FAR AWAY they are, whether they are ACTIVE, whether it's another PLAYER, whether it's relevant to YOU and... so hopefully all that stuff em, you know, helps... increase the load that we can do and we're doing things like we're... we're... you know, pushing more and more into MULTIPLE CORES, more... MULTI-THREADING to, you know, be able to do more... you know... PHYSICS PROCESSING at the same time as we're doing more sort of entity updating and simulation. So ehm you know, part of the benef... part of the result of that is moving to more players in, eh, CRUSADER, we'll continue and we're expecting to continue to sort of push that over time, eh, to get more and more and uh, you know we're actually working on... some ah, BACK END SERVER MESH TECH uhm, that will allow us to ah, sort of MESH A LOT MORE... players all in essentially what will be kind of sort of the same, ah, INSTANCE, uhm so but that's sort of ah, you know a LITTLE further along, but, eh, it's ahh... yeah, I think EXCITING so I think we'll be able to DELIVER probably more players than we were thinking originally... in concurrent areas... ah... so... when I think, actually there's a question about that so... I maybe talk a bit more about it then...

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

lurker_404

« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2018, 02:54:17 AM »
Star Citizen development is like driving toward the sun at sunset: we are cruising, the journey is awesome and it will never end by reaching the horizon, but when we run out of petrol.

David-2

« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »
Star Citizen development is like driving toward the sun at sunset: we are cruising, the journey is awesome and it will never end by reaching the horizon, but when we run out of petrol.

Running out of gas?  I'm anticipating it being more like Vanishing Point.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »

jwh1701

« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
My latest musings

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/980886181641678848.html

That is not surprising, but I honestly thought they would have put every resource possible into getting everything crytek out now at least considering the lawsuit. 

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »
That is not surprising, but I honestly thought they would have put every resource possible into getting everything crytek out now at least considering the lawsuit.

Apparently they are trying, but they are still in a no-win situation.

The Crytek lawsuit is particularly dangerous because if the court finds that they had no right to switch, but did, they're screwed. If it finds that they do have a right to switch, but they didn't, they're screwed.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #206 on: April 04, 2018, 08:20:25 AM »
The "sale" vs "pledge" discussion continues

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/981532232497147905.html

jwh1701

« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
The "sale" vs "pledge" discussion continues

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/981532232497147905.html

The whole sale vs pledge is so crazy, I do not remember a gaming company having to clarify the two words.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
The whole sale vs pledge is so crazy, I do not remember a gaming company having to clarify the two words.

That's what happens when you have to keep lying.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »
When it rains, it pours. Something is happening at CIG, so I took the opportunity to issue a recap ahead of what's coming.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/981930410673360896.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk