Author Topic: Wouldn't It Have Been Funny...  (Read 12527 times)

SteveBox

Wouldn't It Have Been Funny...
« on: December 15, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
I can't help but put this idea out there:

Imagine if Derek, once he began to see the setbacks (and I am sure that others would propose using other terminology for the situations that CIG has gotten themselves / others into) on Star Citizen, secretly began work on his own version of Star Citizen 1.0 (the one that was completely feasible) and then released it as donationware with all of the profits going to CIG to help them fund their version. I figured that would have been a sick burn within the gaming community.

At any rate, thank you for speaking out about this situation. Adverse gaming news is rarely (if ever) covered in the mainstream press and I am glad that it is being brought to light, at least here.

Bonus idea: Would a bake sale help? Couldn't resist.

somedude

Re: Wouldn't It Have Been Funny...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
Tbh that is my hope aswell. That the gaming industry takes note of the succes of this crowdfunding and make a similar game. I fear that is the only way we'd ever get to play a game like SC.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:52:32 PM »
Yeah, but the thing is that the Star Citizen game pitched is seriously insurmountable with anything less than a $100 million budget. And that's just for a medium sized team. My most expensive game to date, being Line Of Defense, is so far less than $15 million. So yeah, no way I would have attempted to do anything in the scope of what Star Citizen promised. At least unless someone else was funding it.

Remember back in July 2015 when I said the game pitched would require a custom engine, an experience team, and $150 million - minimum?
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Kyrt

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 03:31:49 AM »
Tbh that is my hope aswell. That the gaming industry takes note of the succes of this crowdfunding and make a similar game. I fear that is the only way we'd ever get to play a game like SC.

Such as Elite....NMS....CODIW....MEAndromeda...SWTOR....and others.

SC isn't the only game of its type that is available. And if it is promising a lot...other games are as well.

SC is ambitious in that it is promising to launch as a "complete" game...one with all or most content already avaiable.

Elite is planning character creation...atmospheric flight and landings....FPS and boarding....and more.

But SC is promising to launch with everything in one package.

True...Elite has its own problems and issues. It can feel empty at times, there are few tools for multiplayer clans/guilds and there is plenty of room for improvement but it is also released, with a viable working game model and is continuing to undergo development and expansion.

NMS also has issues but it also is continuing to be developed

SC is promising to launch with all this in one go. Personally, I think trying to do everything at once is going to cause its own set of problems but who knows?

But...other than that ambition, SC isn't doing anything other games aren't. And while you can hope it will do it better, look at all the disappointing games that have been released in the past
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 06:37:25 PM by Kyrt »

somedude

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 05:55:14 AM »
NMS, elite are games that have no story. Big part of me getting into a game is the story. I bought elite, played it for 2 hours and havent touched it since. Not because its a bad game, but because there is no story to suck me in.

oops! I hit modify instead of quote  :dance: - dsmart
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:47:47 AM by dsmart »

Kyrt

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
NMS, elite are games that have no story. Big part of me getting into a game is the story. I bought elite, played it for 2 hours and havent touched it since. Not because its a bad game, but because there is no story to suck me in.

Yeah, that's why they are called sandbox games.

So where is the story for Star Citizen coming from? You do realize that it too is pitched as a sandbox game, right? And that those repetitive missions they have atm are just filler to test those mechanics in SQ42?

AFAICT....there isn't one. The story...the single player mode...has been split off into Squadron 42.

Other that that, there looks like there be the same level of storytelling as in Elite.

Anyone able to correct me?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »

oops! I hit modify instead of quote  :dance:

Yeah, that's why they are called sandbox games.

So where is the story for Star Citizen coming from? You do realize that it too is pitched as a sandbox game, right? And that those repetitive missions they have atm are just filler to test those mechanics in SQ42?
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:48:55 AM »
AFAICT....there isn't one. The story...the single player mode...has been split off into Squadron 42.

Other that that, there looks like there be the same level of storytelling as in Elite.

Anyone able to correct me?

There isn't one. There never was. Star Citizen (aka PU) was the sandbox game; while SQ42 was the single player story based game.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 11:49:38 AM »
OMG!! Someone made a "Derek Smart was right" song!  :vince:

Motto

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 07:38:54 AM »
 :lesnick: :sandance:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk