Author Topic: Fundraising Telethon Proposal...  (Read 9559 times)

SteveBox

Fundraising Telethon Proposal...
« on: December 21, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »
I know that my fundraising suggestions may sound insincere, however, all that I want for all parties is to achieve success. I want those backers who have spent a lot of money on Star Citizen to receive the product that they have paid for. I want CIG/RSI/Whatever they are named to produce a product that they can be proud of.

Even though I have no money invested in this endeavor, I am invested in the concept of computer games and computer game developers designing games that cater to niche demographics that may not be otherwise fulfilled by AAA game publishers and developers. The potential collapse and embarrassing underachievement of the Star Citizen franchise may well hamper such activities. In a way, we are all invested in Star Citizen's well-being, even if we are not monetarily so. Star Citizen, to use a phrase, is too big to fail.

Therefore, I propose that we organize a funding telethon, like the old Jerry Lewis telethons of the past, placed onto YouTube for everyone to see. Instead of telephone operators at desks, we could have developers working on the game as we watch. Since all transactions are done through the Internet, we wouldn't need telephone operators anyway.

For live entertainment, we could have celebrities and otherwise noted personalities play the latest build of Star Citizen. We could have taped messages of encouragement from such noted game designers such as John Romero, George Broussard, Phil Fish, Curt Schilling & Chris Taylor.

Originally, I would have thought that Derek Smart would emcee and host the event. Not to be too immodest, though, but he may not be enough of a "name" outside of the computer game industry. He wouldn't have enough mainstream appeal, which is what we need considering that a lot of the computer game playing public is fairly tapped out for giving additional funds to Star Citizen. We're going to need a mainstream draw. Someone who appeals to mainstream and computer gaming demographics. Someone with known "nerd" appeal, having been involved with contemporary franchises as well as renowned, non-fantasy franchises. Someone who appeals to both younger audiences as well as older audiences.

Does anyone know if Gary Oldman would be available for this? Or Gillian Anderson, perhaps?

Anyway, just another suggestion.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Fundraising Telethon Proposal...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
...and the purpose of this would be what exactly?
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Scruffpuff

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »

"noted game designers such as John Romero, George Broussard, Phil Fish, Curt Schilling & Chris Taylor"

That's a hint.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »

"noted game designers such as John Romero, George Broussard, Phil Fish, Curt Schilling & Chris Taylor"

That's a hint.

:vince:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk