Author Topic: Newish-oldish Former-backer  (Read 10839 times)

mixalot

Newish-oldish Former-backer
« on: May 14, 2017, 09:08:27 PM »
Hey all, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Apologies if this isn't the correct forum but I couldn't find a new member area to post in.

So I was a backer in 2014, saw all of the changes in the TOS and the de-evolution of management as well as the 2016 debacle. I applied for my refund about 3 months ago in early 2017 and got 1200 back which was pretty nice, but they still kept another 230 or so for my subscription. And another 250 for a Redeemer I'd gifted to a friend. The gifting is my fault which I acknowledge but I'm still peeved about the sub fee that wasn't refunded.

The more I look at this Kickstarter project and how promising it used to be versus now, the more it depresses me. I really wanted it to succeed but every single alarm bell in my body is triggered when I look at how this company is operating. I originally thought Derek was crazy with his initial claims about the project being unfeasible, but he was absolutely correct.

Anyway, just want to talk about this sham of a game with all of you and share some of my stories. As bad as things are coming from CIG, there's also a lot of messed up internal stuff going on from various orgs as well.

Thanks!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Newish-oldish Former-backer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 04:59:00 AM »
Welcome! You can post anywhere; it's fine.

We ALL wanted this game to succeed. Even those who aren't even space combat fans. It was a chance to be part of something truly ground-breaking, and an industry first (massive crowd-funded game that succeeded). It was a huge mistake giving Chris all this money without holding him accountable for it. That is secondary to the fact that the game he pitched simply can't be made. Like at all. Especially not with the chosen engine, and a team of people who had never before worked a game of this scope, let alone and all-encompassing space/planetary combat game.

Anyway, there are lots of good conversations on the /r/StarCitizen_Refunds Reddit. Those clowns have no control over there. And if you haven't yet caught up on that OldSchoolCmdr's posts, oh boy, you have no idea what you're missing. Start here.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

mixalot

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Derek. I'm happy to be here with you guys.

I'm not sure why I care so much but I think you hit the nail on the head in that Roberts is fleecing everyone while knowing deep down inside that there's not a chance in hell he can pull off what he promised. And rather than scale the scope of the project down and be honest with backers, he keeps lying to them in order to raise more money for his dream.

SC has turned into quite possibly the best example of why video game publishers exist: to prevent crap like this from happening and to hold people with money accountable. The longer Roberts continues down this road, the more it will be apparent to people why publishers do what they do and what the consequences are if a project is allowed to run unchecked.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Derek. I'm happy to be here with you guys.

We have a LOT more action and hilarity on my Discord channel. Invite code: https://discord.gg/7nUXA9u

I'm not sure why I care so much but I think you hit the nail on the head in that Roberts is fleecing everyone while knowing deep down inside that there's not a chance in hell he can pull off what he promised. And rather than scale the scope of the project down and be honest with backers, he keeps lying to them in order to raise more money for his dream.

It got completely out of control in 2015, right around the time I started getting on their case. It hasn't stopped. Now that it's time to pay the piper, people are beginning to see that the emperor really had no clothes.

SC has turned into quite possibly the best example of why video game publishers exist: to prevent crap like this from happening and to hold people with money accountable. The longer Roberts continues down this road, the more it will be apparent to people why publishers do what they do and what the consequences are if a project is allowed to run unchecked.

Yes. And to think that he got this whole thing started via his "publishers are evil!' bandwagon.

It's going to crash very hard. It's not if, but when.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk