Author Topic: Spectrum is a reskinned Slug  (Read 13422 times)

Narrenbart

Spectrum is a reskinned Slug
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:58:15 AM »
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/rsi/static/tavern/bundle.js

Scroll down to the Last lines and you will find the slug community links that they forgot to edit out.

Edit: would post it on somethingawful but I don't have an account there :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:00:52 AM by Narrenbart »

Narrenbart

Re: Spectrum is a reskinned Slug
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:04:15 AM »
for archiving purposes :)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
Whoa!! great catch! Do you have a link to the actually slug community page? I can't find it.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Narrenbart

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
Forget it, can't find it anymore I was under the impression that Slug was the Webclient version of Slack, but I guess they just reimplement the adress stripping there.

the Stuff is written mainly by Jed Watson, do a search in the source bundle.js and find:

/*!
  Copyright (c) 2015 Jed Watson.
  Based on code that is Copyright 2013-2015, Facebook, Inc.
  All rights reserved.
*/

---------------------------

Basically it is against all odds that they were able to pull out a chat client that connects 1000s of users without a problem on day one ... something that discord and slack took years - there has to be one of the base engines in the background - but except the visible JS code I have no proof anymore :(
The Facebook stuff seems to be more than just the emojis and there is alot MIT license stuff in there (which would be fine) (facebook stuff maybe not so fine)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:57:42 AM by Narrenbart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »
It looks like it's built on this open-source framework. So you are right in a sense.

There's a Reddit thread about it now as well.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
I know you guys are into this stuff, but as a web developer, this is a non-story.

I haven't really looked at it, but the 'slug' you're seeing is a common term for url naming (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_URL#Slug). I don't know React but ":community_slug" and all the related stuff you've highlighted looks like part of whatever url routing they're using. Totally benign.
And yeah, React is just one of many javascript development frameworks that are totally normal to use. React happens to be maintained by Facebook/Instagram as well as individual developers.

And of course for back end things like a whole chat system it makes sense to reuse existing technologies. No sense in reinventing the wheel for something as common as a chat system.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »
Yeah, we know about that, and have moved on past it. He was basically referring to the open-source project they used to build it. The context was lost I think.

Narrenbart

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
I know you guys are into this stuff, but as a web developer, this is a non-story.

I haven't really looked at it, but the 'slug' you're seeing is a common term for url naming (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_URL#Slug). I don't know React but ":community_slug" and all the related stuff you've highlighted looks like part of whatever url routing they're using. Totally benign.
And yeah, React is just one of many javascript development frameworks that are totally normal to use. React happens to be maintained by Facebook/Instagram as well as individual developers.

And of course for back end things like a whole chat system it makes sense to reuse existing technologies. No sense in reinventing the wheel for something as common as a chat system.

That's what I meant with address stripping.
Sure they are building on an existing engine, but don't forget on their own inhouse show they did a 1+ hour demonstration on how cool it is to have a reskinned forum/chat engine and the people paid many money to attend, this is like having a 1 hour demonstration how to reskin Wordpress on your main event ...
And the Shills are celebrate it like it is hot cakes on the moon.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »

That's what I meant with address stripping.
Sure they are building on an existing engine, but don't forget on their own inhouse show they did a 1+ hour demonstration on how cool it is to have a reskinned forum/chat engine and the people paid many money to attend, this is like having a 1 hour demonstration how to reskin Wordpress on your main event ...
And the Shills are celebrate it like it is hot cakes on the moon.

Exactly. They spent all that resource building something that, for all intent and purposes, appears to be buggy and patently useless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk