Author Topic: Buying into the hype to quickly  (Read 16194 times)

StupidCitizen

Buying into the hype to quickly
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
So basically, i just recently backed the game star citizen based on.... well pretty pictures and "good" marketing. I didn't research too much into it. And now i have a Vanguard warden and put in a little over 250$ into this "project" since i joined in febuary 2017 is there a way to get a refund, and if its possible how should i word my reason for asking for a refund?

It was stupid of me to buy into it since i was sceptical before i joined, the game might have been started with good intentions
But any rational thinking person should see red flags popping up all over the place, and ironically due to /r/starcitizen i managed to find this place.

My experience with the community of SC is also pretty negative, they don't take even the slightest of critism very good. They defend the project with zeal, some have even gone far enough to create entire setups to play the finished product. It's insanity.

But i do still wonder if they will be able to find a publisher before everything goes to shit. I just don't see CR blow off his feet with a 12g like that  :allears:

But anyway. That i put over 250$ into a project i knew barely anything about in less than a month was extremely retarded. Thanks for opening my eyes, and reminding me of why i tend to only buy games that has an actual publisher.

nightfire

Re: Buying into the hype to quickly
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:25:26 AM »
So basically, i just recently backed the game star citizen based on.... well pretty pictures and "good" marketing. I didn't research too much into it. And now i have a Vanguard warden and put in a little over 250$ into this "project" since i joined in febuary 2017 is there a way to get a refund, and if its possible how should i word my reason for asking for a refund?

You might want to take a look at www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds. The tab on the right side has instructions for getting a refund.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »

It was stupid of me to buy into it since i was sceptical before i joined, the game might have been started with good intentions
But any rational thinking person should see red flags popping up all over the place, and ironically due to /r/starcitizen i managed to find this place.

My experience with the community of SC is also pretty negative, they don't take even the slightest of critism very good. They defend the project with zeal, some have even gone far enough to create entire setups to play the finished product. It's insanity.

But i do still wonder if they will be able to find a publisher before everything goes to shit. I just don't see CR blow off his feet with a 12g like that  :allears:

But anyway. That i put over 250$ into a project i knew barely anything about in less than a month was extremely retarded. Thanks for opening my eyes, and reminding me of why i tend to only buy games that has an actual publisher.

As long as they have failed to deliver what was promised, you can get a refund. They are no longer covered under legal crowd-funding guidelines since they are selling goods on their own website.

So go to that Reddit, read the instructions, and put in for a refund. It's easy now.

Read this blog to understand why that is.

Also read this recent CA case brought by the State Attorney over the crowd-funded Lily drone.

There’s also a slightly technical issue that forms a second front in the DA’s lawsuit: the fact that they went with an independent “pre-order” strategy rather than an established crowdfunded development site like Kickstarter. That makes Lily’s money qualify more on the side of internet sales than investment in an idea (something Kickstarter and its projects are always careful to explain), which exposed the company to certain consumer protection laws.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:22:38 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StupidCitizen

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »
I got my refund after three days of waiting, which is not terrible at all, customer support was nice and helpful (Although they did ask me for an ID)
After this weeks ATV it seems like more of the community is becoming more and more impatient, the fall will come soon surely

nightfire

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:30:34 AM »
I got my refund after three days of waiting, which is not terrible at all, customer support was nice and helpful (Although they did ask me for an ID)
After this weeks ATV it seems like more of the community is becoming more and more impatient, the fall will come soon surely

Congratulations!! That's $330 which can be put to better use now. :thumbsup:

Also, interesting to note that they no longer seem to close accounts automatically after refunding. There was some discussion about this from a marketing and PR point of view some time ago, and they seem to have taken a cue.

StupidCitizen

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »

Congratulations!! That's $330 which can be put to better use now. :thumbsup:

Also, interesting to note that they no longer seem to close accounts automatically after refunding. There was some discussion about this from a marketing and PR point of view some time ago, and they seem to have taken a cue.

Yeah, i also heard of it. But i assumed it was just for people who might have bought stuff on the greymarket, but true, closing peoples account after a refund seems like a really terrible idea  :smuggo:
But then again, CIG will eventually be responsible for their own downfall. They have the most patient backers ever, but they decided to start the shitshow last year with their "3.0 by the end of the year" comment.
But then again, only time will tell  :D

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »
Closing an account after someone refunds, was the dumbest thing ever. I guess they figured that part out quickly enough.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

AllenFil

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »
I got my refund after three days of waiting, which is not terrible at all, customer support was nice and (Although they did ask me for an ID)

At least the customer support honour refunds. They seem like good people.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:29:58 AM by AllenFil »

Kastenbrust

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »

That's because this zendesk part of the customer service refund process is outsourced to an outside company  :D CIG would never be so nice.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:02:21 PM »

That's because this zendesk part of the customer service refund process is outsourced to an outside company  :D CIG would never be so nice.

LOL!! Nah, it's all in-house. It's just some of the CS staff are nice; while others are just dicks. And if Sandi happens to be at work that day, well then - it all goes to shit.

Serendipity

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:24:37 AM »
To be fair, the Vanguard is overpriced anyway. Nice to hear refunds are still happening. Some bloke on the internet was saying they'd be stopping them in the next 30 to 45 days, so perhaps you're just in time.

Maybe see you in game when there's a game to play...at some point in the future.

Good luck and have fun.

nightfire

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
To be fair, the Vanguard is overpriced anyway. Nice to hear refunds are still happening. Some bloke on the internet was saying they'd be stopping them in the next 30 to 45 days, so perhaps you're just in time.

Maybe see you in game when there's a game to play...at some point in the future.

Moeis

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 02:22:55 AM »
It is good you got the refund.  I always tell people when being a part of a crowd fund, never put more into than you are willing to lose, cause there is no guarantee any crowdfunded game will ever be released.  Also to make sure you know what you are putting your money into and think about the reason why you want to.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
It is good you got the refund.  I always tell people when being a part of a crowd fund, never put more into than you are willing to lose, cause there is no guarantee any crowdfunded game will ever be released.  Also to make sure you know what you are putting your money into and think about the reason why you want to.

The reason that crowd-funding, especially for video games, has taken a hit in the past few years is specifically because people didn't bear the above in mind. Aside from the fact that a lot of creators just abused the system by taking money and never actually shipping the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk