Author Topic: GamesCom 2017 - The Hilarity Within  (Read 150695 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: GamesCom 2017 - The Hilarity Within
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »
This was an absolute DISASTER
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Kribbel

« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
This was an absolute DISASTER
Only if you still are a Citizen. Otherwise, comedy. That crash and "omg we have to replay the whole level because there is no method/function to switch pilots" pure gold!

Oh while you are at it, how about you buy some more ships?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:23:44 PM by Kribbel »

Kastenbrust

« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »

Kribbel

« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »

Is that the in game picture? If so then darn! I didn't expect that kind of detail and +1 that they went for non UK teeth :D

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »
From what I saw at the end it was pretty janky. they had two capital ships collide. There ought to have been massive damage from both ships. Both ships trajectories should have changed. Explosions should be on both ships. It was like a kid banging his toys together, then one moves aside and explodes.

Its no wonder why they closed off comments on the you tube feed.

The crowd did not appear to be very pleased to see that presentation. Let's see what they do.

Kribbel

« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
From what I saw at the end it was pretty janky. they had two capital ships collide. There ought to have been massive damage from both ships. Both ships trajectories should have changed. Explosions should be on both ships. It was like a kid banging his toys together, then one moves aside and explodes.

Its no wonder why they closed off comments on the you tube feed.

The crowd did not appear to be very pleased to see that presentation. Let's see what they do.

Did they collide? I thought the laser pew pew blew it up. They did a cut there (live of course) and that, to me, made it look like the turret killed the ship-I think of the kind of the last scene but I was laughing hard at that time so I might have missed the collision.

Kastenbrust

« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2017, 03:53:39 PM »
From what I saw at the end it was pretty janky

The whole thing just looked janky, and the graphics are shit, in 2012 it would have been mind-blowing but now they could skin other games in a couple of months and make something far superior.

Kribbel

« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2017, 04:02:12 PM »
From what I saw at the end it was pretty janky

The whole thing just looked janky, and the graphics are shit, in 2012 it would have been mind-blowing but now they could skin other games in a couple of months and make something far superior.

Sry no offence but the graphics are fine and way more than they should be. Just remember they have to host some serious amount of players given the size of ships they already sold. If you want to get a feel for what is possible at the moment when you have to host 500+ players in the same instance/battle then take a look at Camelot Unchained. They gfx is shitty but they can host that kind of players each casting spells which travel from one server to another.

In essence I do like pretty graphics but I would like to have more than 15 players on my Javelin. If they aim for 150 people per server means at this point an increase of 1000%. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:04:55 PM by Kribbel »

Motto

« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2017, 04:04:09 PM »
They were running this on a LAN with rigs having specs that nobody has at home and it still performed like crap. How the hell are they going to run this as an MMO?

Kribbel

« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
They were running this on a LAN with rigs having specs that nobody has at home and it still performed like crap. How the hell are they going to run this as an MMO?

Be fair! They ran it on a nvidia 1080 client side. By the time it is released we will have 1580s or AMD 980s at least.

Kribbel

« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2017, 04:19:19 PM »
I thought a bit about the presentation and.... I still don't get it.

"We could show you some power point but let's look at some footage"
*Derek goons made too many memes*

"Most of what you saw won't be in 3.0. We are not going to say when it will be released"
*not going to do the same mistake a 3rd time after december and june,+2 weeks+2weeks aso*

"Here are some jpeg ads, buy those"
*you wanted more "shut up and take my money" you got it*

How is this project still alive?
And who buys tickets for that kind of thing? Yes, you had to buy tickets for it! The people paid money to watch a stream and applaud in the end.

edit: And how the hell can they afford to create a 5th studio which from the 1h *we have to stall" is only doing mocap or stuff that is done in filming?
@Derek, could you find out how this thing is tied up into the whole RSI thing? My guess is that no matter what CR and Sandy will be able to keep it for their movie ambitions. Just a "would be nice to know"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:33:59 PM by Kribbel »

Flashwit

« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
Overall kind of better than I expected, which isn't saying much.

The one thing that stuck in my mind was the ships and their flying around. They always felt like they were 10-inch models being moved around. They had no weight or momentum to them. When the ship was first landing to pick up the rover it was bouncing around positioning itself like it weighed 10 pounds. Then the Idris battles and things bonking into each other didn't feel right either.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »

They're not. Also 5 fps. That was hilarious.

Hey, remember when....

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #164 on: August 25, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
My post-show write up will be online later this weekend. I just need to bring myself to write it. In the meantime, the full YT is now online

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:55:20 PM by dsmart »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk