Author Topic: GamesCom 2017 - The Hilarity Within  (Read 150698 times)

Motto

Re: GamesCom 2017 - The Hilarity Within
« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2017, 05:05:21 PM »
And that horror of a show got them 500K for today. Yeah, that's really happening right now. Face over IP is worth it. But, we predicted it. A massive spike in sales regardless of Chris' presentation...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
It's the 600i JPEG ship sale

Plus we know the tracker is shit and fraudulent, anyway.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
Still, some people are actually buying those pictures  :vince:

Kastenbrust

« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »
Holy shit, this FOIP technology isn't even new in games...

Orgetorix

« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »
As I've said before, I don't believe that it started out as a scam. It sort of evolved into one. However, when you consider things like malfeasance as it pertains to the money, Unjust Enrichment etc, it doesn't have to fit the bit for a scam in order for it to be legally actionable. e.g. Let's take F42-UK for example. A project for which, six years later, he has now raised over $156M, of which $75M+ was spent by a UK studio he built for his brother (who now makes £230K a year at a studio that's NEVER shipped a game; even as Braben at Frontier Dev which has shipped two massive games since 2012, and a third on the way, makes £180K), and which has NO reason to exist other to unjustly enrich his UK friends and family. The same studio, the largest of five, that's supposedly developing Squadron 42, and some major components for the engine that's powering both games.

That studio could have been built right here in the US and for less. But his UK friends and family wouldn't have benefited from it in the same way.

What about pay checks? If sources are to be believed, most of the money is going to The Nine. When you find that someone as unqualified as Sandi is making the sort of money that is higher than another VP of marketing would - and from crowd-funded money - it's easy to make the case for Unjust Enrichment.

There are so many ways that they are going to be in serious problems after this project collapses, that I'm not even going to bother listing them. All I know is that someone is going to jail over this project's failure.

And I fundamentally disagree with your first premise. Chris Roberts endeavor with Crowd Funding "Star Citizen" was always a scam. It could have never been anything other then a scam, because that's Chris Roberts nature. In my humble opinion he's a psychopath.

Psychopaths never create anything but illusions. Their egocentric and grandiose personalities won't allow them to do anything but. That's their stock in trade, modus operandi, it's who they are,

"When another psychopath, in prison for a variety of crimes including robbery, rape, and fraud, was asked if he had any weaknesses, he replied, "I don't have any weaknesses, except maybe I'm too caring." On a 10-point scale he rated himself "an all-round 10. I would have said 12, but that would be bragging. If I had a better education I'd be brilliant."

... Psychopaths often come across as arrogant, shameless braggarts--self-assured, opinionated, domineering, and cocky. They love to have power and control over others and seem unable to believe that other people have valid opinions different from theirs. They appear charismatic or "electrifying" to some people.

Psychopaths are seldom embarrassed about their legal, financial, or personal problems. Rather, they see them as temporary setbacks, the results of bad luck, unfaithful friends, or an unfair and incompetent system.

Although psychopaths often claim to have specific goal, they show little understanding of the qualifications required--they have no idea how to achieve their goals and little or no chance of attaining them, given their track record and lack of sustained interest in education ...

Psychopaths feel that their abilities will enable them to become anything they want to be. Given the right circumstances--opportunity, luck, willing victims--their grandiosity can pay off spectacularly. For example, the psychopathic entrepreneur "thinks big," but it's usually with someone else's money."
-p. 38-39 "Without Conscience, The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us" by Robert D. Hare. PHD

Does that excerpt not relate with pinpoint accuracy to croberts? And that's just one, I could do an entire thread relating the similarity's of croberts behavior (Hand gestures and all) to Robert Hare's excellent book. Hare's book is certainly worth the read. I would recommend that everyone who reads this post, buy a copy and read it at least yearly. Mainly for your own self protection, and preservation. 

My main interest in the SC scam is for my own personal understanding, it's another case study I'm doing so that I can better prepare myself in the future, for dealing with people like this, eg... avoid being scammed...

Derek I commend you for your relentless assault on this travesty that is SC. It's gotten into the realm of absolute absurdity. Hopefully it won't be long now before the walls come crashing down.

In other words if you're in for a dollar or 30000 times that much, GET A REFUND!!!

In closing here's my favorite Aesop's Fable,

"A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the
scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The
frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion
says, "Because if I do, I will die too."

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream,
the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of
paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown,
but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"

Replies the scorpion: "Its my nature..."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:43:19 PM by Orgetorix »

N0mad

« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2017, 04:01:33 AM »
$156 million well spent I think   :lol:   :laugh:

NIDTechnology

« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2017, 04:34:35 AM »
Well, damn. Those animation transitions...or lack thereof.  :woof:

One of the YouTube comments got it right.

"This looks like something an indie dev team prepped in 6 months."  :dance:

I have a new theory, and humour me for a second. This is in fact a huge MONEY LAUNDERING operation. I have to believe that the idiots buying these ships don't actually exist to such an extent. They are in fact pumping physical wads of drug money into international affiliates who are then posing as customers and investing into this overstated project with their credit accounts. Rinsing them greens. Most of the studios are probably just empty buildings with ghost employees.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:40:40 AM by NIDTechnology »

Motto

« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2017, 04:59:52 AM »
You know, as much fun as it is to watch the idiots go happy around, I think it's time this stops. Enough money wasted already. No more.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:01:32 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2017, 06:44:35 AM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:48:42 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »
Still, some people are actually buying those pictures  :vince:

Part of what we have here is a bunch of ex MMORPG players that have grown up (or were income earners when the likes of Warcraft became massive hits) who like the idea of another MMORPG but also know (perhaps onl;y at a subconscious level) that they actually don't have the time to invest in actually playing such a game if it came out.

To these people buying JPEGS for Star Citizen is the game.  It is their MMORPG and the fact it isnt yet released, and makes lofty claims to be doing things new, better and to be saving the PC gaming industry all benefits these people.  They get to pretend to be playing an actual MMORPG and can show progression by buying more JPEGS and attending these sorts of events or otherwise being involved.

They can dip in and out, open their wallets when they want and carry on with the rest of their lives.

It is nothing like spending 5-18 hrs a day over years to get serious hardcore MMORPG laurels but they get something of that feeling.

They are simply not interested in waking up and smelling the coffee.

On top of that we have new people getting introduced to SC all the time and going through the cycle most backers go through .

So here we are .. CR can lie and put out the shit we saw yesterday and enough people are still buying it.

StanTheMan

« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
As I've said before, I don't believe that it started out as a scam. It sort of evolved into one. However, when you consider things like malfeasance as it pertains to the money, Unjust Enrichment etc, it doesn't have to fit the bit for a scam in order for it to be legally actionable. e.g. Let's take F42-UK for example. A project for which, six years later, he has now raised over $156M, of which $75M+ was spent by a UK studio he built for his brother (who now makes £230K a year at a studio that's NEVER shipped a game; even as Braben at Frontier Dev which has shipped two massive games since 2012, and a third on the way, makes £180K), and which has NO reason to exist other to unjustly enrich his UK friends and family. The same studio, the largest of five, that's supposedly developing Squadron 42, and some major components for the engine that's powering both games.

That studio could have been built right here in the US and for less. But his UK friends and family wouldn't have benefited from it in the same way.

What about pay checks? If sources are to be believed, most of the money is going to The Nine. When you find that someone as unqualified as Sandi is making the sort of money that is higher than another VP of marketing would - and from crowd-funded money - it's easy to make the case for Unjust Enrichment.

There are so many ways that they are going to be in serious problems after this project collapses, that I'm not even going to bother listing them. All I know is that someone is going to jail over this project's failure.

And I fundamentally disagree with your first premise. Chris Roberts endeavor with Crowd Funding "Star Citizen" was always a scam. It could have never been anything other then a scam, because that's Chris Roberts nature. In my humble opinion he's a psychopath.

Psychopaths never create anything but illusions. Their egocentric and grandiose personalities won't allow them to do anything but. That's their stock in trade, modus operandi, it's who they are,

"When another psychopath, in prison for a variety of crimes including robbery, rape, and fraud, was asked if he had any weaknesses, he replied, "I don't have any weaknesses, except maybe I'm too caring." On a 10-point scale he rated himself "an all-round 10. I would have said 12, but that would be bragging. If I had a better education I'd be brilliant."

... Psychopaths often come across as arrogant, shameless braggarts--self-assured, opinionated, domineering, and cocky. They love to have power and control over others and seem unable to believe that other people have valid opinions different from theirs. They appear charismatic or "electrifying" to some people.

Psychopaths are seldom embarrassed about their legal, financial, or personal problems. Rather, they see them as temporary setbacks, the results of bad luck, unfaithful friends, or an unfair and incompetent system.

Although psychopaths often claim to have specific goal, they show little understanding of the qualifications required--they have no idea how to achieve their goals and little or no chance of attaining them, given their track record and lack of sustained interest in education ...

Psychopaths feel that their abilities will enable them to become anything they want to be. Given the right circumstances--opportunity, luck, willing victims--their grandiosity can pay off spectacularly. For example, the psychopathic entrepreneur "thinks big," but it's usually with someone else's money."
-p. 38-39 "Without Conscience, The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us" by Robert D. Hare. PHD

Does that excerpt not relate with pinpoint accuracy to croberts? And that's just one, I could do an entire thread relating the similarity's of croberts behavior (Hand gestures and all) to Robert Hare's excellent book. Hare's book is certainly worth the read. I would recommend that everyone who reads this post, buy a copy and read it at least yearly. Mainly for your own self protection, and preservation. 

My main interest in the SC scam is for my own personal understanding, it's another case study I'm doing so that I can better prepare myself in the future, for dealing with people like this, eg... avoid being scammed...

Derek I commend you for your relentless assault on this travesty that is SC. It's gotten into the realm of absolute absurdity. Hopefully it won't be long now before the walls come crashing down.

In other words if you're in for a dollar or 30000 times that much, GET A REFUND!!!

In closing here's my favorite Aesop's Fable,

"A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the
scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The
frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion
says, "Because if I do, I will die too."

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream,
the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of
paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown,
but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"

Replies the scorpion: "Its my nature..."

My Brother is a Consultant Psychiatrist.   He wouldnt make a diagnosis based on what can be read , watched of CR but I am sure he would agree with some of your analysis.  We are all on these scales - it is a question of where on those scales and how that manifests in behaviour.

Orgetorix

« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
My Brother is a Consultant Psychiatrist.   He wouldnt make a diagnosis based on what can be read , watched of CR but I am sure he would agree with some of your analysis.  We are all on these scales - it is a question of where on those scales and how that manifests in behaviour.

Certainly your brother wouldn't make a clinical diagnosis without first doing a thorough review of the patients history, interviewing them, and administering a PCL, at the very least.

I'm only bringing this subject up, because I haven't seen anyone else bring it up in the many thousands of pages I've read on this ongoing train wreck of a video game. In my view this pretty adequately explains why croberts has done what he has done, and still continues to do the same to this day, over, and over, and over again.

In my opinion, he has a fundamental internal disconnect with reality that has enabled him to continue to perpetrate, and perpetuate this situation, even after full exposure of what it really is.

After my own investigation of this situation I fully agree with Derek on 2 key points,

1) Croberts isn't going to run, he's going to stay at the helm of this project until the walls come crashing down and the ship sinks,

2) People are going to jail over this, because of the sheer amount of money involved.

Of course this is only my opinion, and I'm not, nor ever will try to offer a clinical diagnosis. I'm nothing more then a layman expressing my own personal views. Though I would still encourage everyone to pick up a copy of Dr. Hare's book, and read it thoroughly. It will give you a functional understanding, that will be of benefit when trying to understand how a situation like this can start and continue on for so very long.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
The follow-up article that I am writing has a lot of video snippet references. For example:

If you noticed here at the 1:29:07 mark when the Mobiglass appears, the arms are different. Someone on Discord thought it was a suit change. It's not a suit change. I believe that second arm is the model that has the mobiglass attached, and it doesn't match the actual player model suit. It's like a weapon switch. This means that the arm with the mobiglass is separate from the player model. Just like how we do high (1st person view) vs low (3rd person view) weapons in fps games.

And the view color change could be due to the fact that they are applying a full-screen filter to the fps view when you have a helmet/visor on.

Compare 1:29:09 to 1:29:10 and look carefully at the arms.

1:29:09

1:29:10

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:39:45 AM by dsmart »

Motto

« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »
I think there now just is too much to tell the world in one posting. You'll risk drowning in words and getting so much text out there that many might dismiss it just by sheer length. Maybe you can split it into multiple segments? One that basically describes the current state and the foreseeable future and stuff, and a more technically one where you point out all the errors and the little details et cetera. Making it more readable, more to the point, might help others to start talking and seeing it in a different light too. It would be a shame if using those huge blunders by Chris could be swiped aside as "just another rambling madman with a personal grudge".

I do see momentum now. There are people on Reddit actually openly discussing the current state and discussing the fact that any negative wording gets downvoted like hell. I'm engaging in a lot of topics and people still react. So, troll I might be, but just ignoring me, they can't. Even the cultists now feel they have a right to say negative things and be heard. It would be best to feed that properly and steer this train wreck to it's final collision at Shitizen Con. I'd love to see that. It's time this thing stops.

Kribbel

« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »
The follow-up article that I am writing has a lot of video snippet references. For example:

If you noticed here at the 1:29:07 mark when the Mobiglass appears, the arms are different. Someone on Discord thought it was a suit change. It's not a suit change. I believe that second arm is the model that has the mobiglass attached, and it doesn't match the actual player model suit. It's like a weapon switch. This means that the arm with the mobiglass is separate from the player model. Just like how we do high (1st person view) vs low (3rd person view) weapons in fps games.

And the view color change could be due to the fact that they are applying a full-screen filter to the fps view when you have a helmet/visor on.

As for the vid link, "The arms are different"? That's your vector? Check the background. The guy on the right turns invis (goes puuf) and in general the colors change. Those are obviously 2 different settings. If that's the orginal vid then imho they could have hired a script kiddy to do better.
And the visor should not make chars disappear or change colors because it was on before the mobi activation.
As for the arm model, come on... do you really think they created a special arm and then screw up the time (night day) and the 2nd person on screen ? Sure they have money but if they did that then a lighter would be an easier way to burn it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:22:08 PM by Kribbel »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk