Author Topic: Board Discussions  (Read 48494 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Board Discussions
« on: November 21, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »
OK, so finally I got around to installing stand-alone forum software on the server. The bbPress plugin forum for Wordpress (which my blog site uses) is awful - and not just in performance. It's good for posting articles (e.g. my scoops and musings) and light discussions only. 

Anyway, most options are in your profile, and are self-explanatory.

You can also chose which theme you want to use if you don't like the default one. Some are "responsive" (works well on mobile).

There is a special Goon only "Smarties" group which is "approval only". Go to your profile and request it via the  Group Membership link. If you're a known Goon, it will be approved. Once approved, you will have 6 (the highest) Yellow stars in your display name, as well as certain other perks (e.g. ability to read/leave profile comments etc)

INSTALLED MODS

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:39:58 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Board Discussions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
@Fooma are you still having trouble posting images? Attachment uploads are disabled, but you can still post external image links.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

orcinus

• Smarties
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:21:04 PM »
I'm dumb and cannot find the Group Membership link.
AFAIK, normally on SMF forums, it shows up after Buddies/Ignore List in the Modify Profile menu.

But there doesn't appear to be one there.

Fooma

• Smarties
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »

Works now I think.  I have to use the posting icons and not manually [ IMG ] [ /IMG ]

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »

You can't image BB code if you are using the WYSIWYG editor (the default). So to switch, just click on that "Toggle View" arrow.

You can also change your profile to disabled WYSIWYG editor by default.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 06:59:02 PM »
Weird. I just reset it. Try it now.

AFAIK, normally on SMF forums, it shows up after Buddies/Ignore List in the Modify Profile menu.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:00:34 PM by dsmart »

orcinus

• Smarties
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 07:02:59 PM »

Now it's there.
Thanks.

DapperDon

• Smarties
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 08:36:25 PM »
I am here to stand in solidarity with the Internet Warlord. I hope the rest of the SA superstars that were regular posters on your sub migrate over here as well. Thanks for the invite.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 08:42:37 AM »
I have enabled post attachments. Try not to go crazy with it please. You can still use external in-line links to imgur etc as that saves bandwidth on the server.

Also remember that the WYSIWYG post editor is disabled by default. This will allow you to use BB code.

ideate

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »

Also dumb here, can't find it. I wonder if I need to make a post first.

Edit: yes that did it, just make a post first.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:28:00 AM by ideate »

iron buns

• Smarties
  • Fidelity!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »
The board notifications are being signed by "The The Smart Community Team". :what:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »
Thanks. Will fix.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »
I have installed a bunch of useful mods. Most are pretty straightforward. But if you want to read up on them, the list is below. Check the OP.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:03:07 PM by dsmart »

iron buns

• Smarties
  • Fidelity!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
Is the Profile Comments mod enabled? I'm not seeing the comment section on the profile pages.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:57:40 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »
Is the Profile Comments mod enabled? I'm not seeing the comment section on the profile pages.

Only admins can see those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk