Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1226051 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1170 on: September 10, 2017, 02:02:26 PM »
I can't imagine there being a viable exit strategy though. Surely Chris isn't thát stupid, to think that there is a possiblility to get away with Star Citizen without releasing the game?

Why not? Businesses fail all the time. If he no longer has the money to complete development, what a
should he do? And having made that determination, why would they spend the remaining money on a lost cause, when they can wind down, and keep some of it as per the exit strategy? That's how that works.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1171 on: September 10, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »
That would apply for a regular business and of course some of them fail. But Chris is going to get his ass sued off his buttocks if he doesn't deliver. Does he honestly think that every backer is gonna think "well, he tried, too bad it didn't work out but hey, at least I spend my money well on his efforts"? And that he can hide behind some legal constructions?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:18:55 PM by Motto »

nightfire

« Reply #1172 on: September 10, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »
I can't imagine there being a viable exit strategy though. Surely Chris isn't thát stupid, to think that there is a possiblility to get away with Star Citizen without releasing the game?
If he no longer has the money to complete development, what a should he do?
On a side note, the timely coincidence between his rumored efforts to raise $75m in investment money, and the setting up of the new shell company makes me wonder. It just doesn’t compute yet… on one hand, the search for this kind of money suggests that CR would like to keep the company afloat until around 2020. On the other hand, the creation of the shell company suggests that he has plans to jump ship long before that. Is he exploring and preparing for both possible outcomes? But that would mean that he really doesn’t have a clue himself as to where SC is going (quite disturbing by itself, given that he is the founder). It isn’t quite clear to me what’s going on at the moment.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1173 on: September 10, 2017, 02:30:44 PM »
That would apply for a regular business and of course some of them fail. But Chris is going to get his ass sued off his buttocks if he doesn't deliver. Does he honestly think that every backer is gonna think "well, he tried, too bad it didn't work out but hey, at least I spend my money well on his efforts"? And that he can hide behind some legal constructions?

He won't deliver because he can't. That's a foregone conclusion. All that's left now, is to speculate on what will happen post-exit.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1174 on: September 10, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
On a side note, the timely coincidence between his rumored efforts to raise $75m in investment money, and the setting up of the new shell company makes me wonder. It just doesn’t compute yet… on one hand, the search for this kind of money suggests that CR would like to keep the company afloat until around 2020. On the other hand, the creation of the shell company suggests that he has plans to jump ship long before that. Is he exploring and preparing for both possible outcomes? But that would mean that he really doesn’t have a clue himself as to where SC is going (quite disturbing by itself, given that he is the founder). It isn’t quite clear to me what’s going on at the moment.

It doesn't matter. The project is already badly tainted, and the community around it is toxic. Plus, nobody is going to give money to a guy who got $160M in free cash, but still couldn't ship a product after 6 years.

He's fucked.

Orgetorix

« Reply #1175 on: September 10, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »

It doesn't matter. The project is already badly tainted, and the community around it is toxic. Plus, nobody is going to give money to a guy who got $160M in free cash, but still couldn't ship a product after 6 years.

He's fucked.

Can't argue with that, it really doesn't matter what he does.

Whatever exit strategy he try's to implement, will only further serve to highlight the fraudulent activity that he has endemically committed throughout every stage of this, his, farce of a game project.

Somehow he might conceivably escape from this swindle with a whole skin. Not that such an outcome is even remotely likely at this point, but stranger things have happened.

I'm still of the firm opinion, that we only have a few more months to wait before the final collapse. After that happens, all bets are off as to when the ending of all litigation, both civil and criminal, is going to be complete.

nightfire

« Reply #1176 on: September 11, 2017, 05:24:19 AM »
I'm still of the firm opinion, that we only have a few more months to wait before the final collapse. After that happens, all bets are off as to when the ending of all litigation, both civil and criminal, is going to be complete.

At this point, I’m even wondering whether they’ll manage to get one more update out of the door before the lights go out.

Motto

« Reply #1177 on: September 11, 2017, 05:42:53 AM »
My best guess right now is that pushing out the 3.0 build will be the lights out event. They don't have the time to get that build ready to be decent enough as to show progress so when they push it, it'll be crap and the backers will respond to that in kind. So Chris will have to have everything in place for his exit when 3.0 hits the backers. Or better, be gone before they release 3.0. It wouldn't surprise me if they now hold off on anything that might get backers angry. It's gonna be fun to watch how they handle Shitizen Con this year.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1178 on: September 11, 2017, 06:43:36 AM »

At this point, I’m even wondering whether they’ll manage to get one more update out of the door before the lights go out.

I am certain that whatever happens, they will

1) make it to CitizenCon

2) release a scaled down version of what was 3.0

As I said before, anyone giving them money now, is just funding the exit strategy - whatever form it takes.

There is a LOT going on right now behind the scenes, and it's so compartmentalized that very few people at the company are aware of it. Only Chris friends and family, as well as heads like Sean Tracy, Tony Zurovek, Brian Chambers know the details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1179 on: September 11, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »

nightfire

« Reply #1180 on: September 11, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »
Tweet storm

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/907291388441751552

About the „no more refunds“ issue: how does CR plan to get away with it? There is a reason why he’s more or less forced to issue refunds today (he has already tried to stop them in the past without success), so how will his legal position change all of a sudden with the release of „3.0“? Is it because it’s now called „Early Access“? If so, how are consumer rights for EA customers different from those for current backers?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1181 on: September 11, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
No idea. But how do you refund money if you don't have it? :c00lbert:

Motto

« Reply #1182 on: September 11, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
I know that, I know that! You give them pictures of money!

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1183 on: September 11, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »
About the „no more refunds“ issue: how does CR plan to get away with it? There is a reason why he’s more or less forced to issue refunds today (he has already tried to stop them in the past without success), so how will his legal position change all of a sudden with the release of „3.0“? Is it because it’s now called „Early Access“? If so, how are consumer rights for EA customers different from those for current backers?
There is no difference. Steam's refund system allows you to refund EA games until 14 days after actual release. The 2 hours timer resets on release day.

If you want to defend from refunds, you need to honestly sell what you have actually ready: "I want $60 from you and this 70 GB PoS 2.6 with one crap chariot to fly is what you get", not "BDSSE ... 42 ships ... 100 star systems ... 50 cinematic missions ... dozens of hollywood actors ... somewhere in the future yadda yadda". If you sell something which isn't in, the EU 14 days refund period doesn't start until all of it is delivered.

And of course MVP 3.0 has to go through honest reviews as well.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1184 on: September 11, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk