Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1227862 times)

ecg

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1245 on: September 15, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »
Their biggest advancement with "3.0" might just be the patcher.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1246 on: September 15, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »

Oh wait! You're thinking it works, just because croberts said so?  :lol:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

ecg

« Reply #1247 on: September 15, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »

Oh wait! You're thinking it works, just because croberts said so?  :lol:

Guess, I thought it would be pretty difficult to FUBAR a patcher. Yea, what was I thinking.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:31:50 PM by ecg »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1248 on: September 15, 2017, 07:10:33 PM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Serendipity

« Reply #1249 on: September 16, 2017, 06:56:07 AM »
So this 'huge' news that CIG set up a company in the UK named with 'rights' in the title. It finally opened my eyes to what's going on.

Any news regarding CIG made public in any fashion is immediately discussed in Derek's private discord channel with a group of smarties in a bid to spin it in the most FUD worthy way possible. Facts be damned.

It's impressive to be honest.

There were posts about CIG trying to sell their technology recently, (and that somehow being a bad thing?), so doesn't this new company gel with those rumours quite innocently? There will be developers interested in a Cryengine derivative capable of creating maps the size of whole planets/star systems I would think.

Still no ELE. Only 6 weeks from a Citizencon that was never going to happen, according to you guys, where we shall hopefully learn a lot more.

Looking forward to it. I'm guessing 3.0 to Evocati, flyable reclaimer, squadron trailer, (possible verticle slice), demo of another profession.

I'm not predicting any extinction
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:02:35 AM by Serendipity »

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #1250 on: September 16, 2017, 07:29:24 AM »
So this 'huge' news that CIG set up a company in the UK named with 'rights' in the title. It finally opened my eyes to what's going on.

Any news regarding CIG made public in any fashion is immediately discussed in Derek's private discord channel with a group of smarties in a bid to spin it in the most FUD worthy way possible. Facts be damned.

There were posts about CIG trying to sell their technology recently, (and that somehow being a bad thing?), so doesn't this new company gel with those rumours quite innocently? There will be developers interested in a Cryengine derivative capable of creating maps the size of whole planets/star systems I would think.

Still no ELE. Only 6 weeks from a Citizencon that was never going to happen, according to you guys, where we shall hopefully learn a lot more.

Looking forward to it. I'm guessing 3.0 to Evocati, flyable reclaimer, squadron trailer, (possible verticle slice), demo of another profession.

This sounds like CIG is operating like a fairly large, well-developed software company with products past and present. And not at all like a small, independent and experimenting crowd-funded group in the process of creating their first game.

N0mad

« Reply #1251 on: September 16, 2017, 07:41:08 AM »
This sounds like CIG is operating like a fairly large, well-developed software company with products past and present. And not at all like a small, independent and experimenting crowd-funded group in the process of creating their first game.

I assume you're being sarcastic  :smuggo:

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #1252 on: September 16, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »

I assume you're being sarcastic  :smuggo:
Yes, both sarcastic and highlighting a point. Them acting like a big company seems to be used in defense of CIG by its supporters, while I think it is a lack of humility towards its supporters.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1253 on: September 16, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »

Are you high? Like right now?

What FACTS do you have that shows :

- The new UK shell company is in ANY way related to "selling technology"?

- They have technology (what would that be exactly) to sell?

- They do need another shell company to sell technology which already belongs to the parent (RSI-UK) shell company?

And no, they CANNOT sell Star Engine because 1) The CryEngine license (which I have access to, since I have a CryEngine license) forbids it; as does the LumberYard license (which I also have access to). So that bullshit you guys are spreading about this, is just that: bullshit. Fucking lol if there is any dev who is going to license and engine to a game that's a horrific mess, unreleased, and doesn't work.

And which developer would want to license a CryEngine derivative for the reasons you stated when 1) there is currently NO proof their derivative change works 2) those same changes can be made in both UE4 and Unity5 with less hassle AND continued support from those companies.

Need I even go into the part whereby if that were the case, then Amazon - which already has a CryEngine derivative - would be the party most interested in such a thing if it did exist?

There currently NO games that require a 64-Bit world addressing because a "floating origin" solution is quicker, far more efficient, and can be implemented in ANY game engine.

And once again, your abject ignorance (which is magnified by your continued need to be repetitive - which is only going to get you banned again) comes into play. An E.L.E isn't a single event, and it never was.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:11:23 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1254 on: September 16, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »
Meanwhile over at SA

Gorf:

Erin Roberts posted:
When I was doing the Lego games for 10 years, it was so easy. There was no tech change. It was literally, ok this time we’re going to do Lego Batman, so reskin it all and put in 2 or 3 new gameplay features, bang, we could knock those out every 4 to 6 months. This is an order of magnitude more complex."
The world's most ambitious game is in the hands of a guy who hasn't made a game since the early 2000s and a guy who reskinned Lego games for the last decade. I see no reason for concern...

/S

Isn't it interesting to listen to Erin in that Burndown, though. The ad hoc panic-scramble that has typified their Game Dev process for years is manifestly obvious from his bizarre pep talk with the befuddled LA Devs.

If I'm understanding him right, it sounds like he's right there admitting the priority of future 3.x features aren't even nailed down and will be decided in consultation with Todd (Papy?) after they bugsmash and crap out 3.0. And yet again it conjures up the ATV from January of 2016, which saw the Austin team admitting they didn't yet have a PU feature roadmap for the year because the brain trust hadn't met and decided their next priorities.

Over 5 years in and there's still no true Master Plan. They're constantly improvising priorities in the moment, with no real roadmap. Even the prioritization of PG planets you could land on was a rash impulse and deviation from plan. Brian Chambers described how one of his devs had some experience with it, and really wanted to work on it and not tell Chris and Chambers and the Frankfurt team effectively shielded him from close management scrutiny while he worked on it in private. Then apparently it was shown to leadership, they spazzed out and made it a top priority, then we got the "from Pupil to Planet" trailer, Squadron had to get redefined to include full scale planetary landings, and for nearly two years, CIG has been trying to make it work in the game.

What should be a long marathon to an agreed upon destination hitting known milestones along a fixed route is instead a constant series of panicked sprints to the next short term target. Upon arrival, after the winded puking, eyes scramble across yon horizon for the next target to set. Even if it means running over old ground, even if it means going backwards half the time.

At this point they might as well just make Star Citizen a big ass Lego game. THAT they might be able to deliver and it might run the risk of being mildly fun, too.

nightfire

« Reply #1255 on: September 16, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »

And still no 3.0, how about that?

Looking forward to it. I’m guessing 3.0 with minimal bug fixes, and maximum bug-fixed TOS.

As far as I’m concerned, I’m not predicting any 3.0.

Serendipity

« Reply #1256 on: September 16, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »

Are you high? Like right now?

What FACTS do you have that shows :

- The new UK shell company is in ANY way related to "selling technology"?

- They have technology (what would that be exactly) to sell?

- They do need another shell company to sell technology which already belongs to the parent (RSI-UK) shell company?

And no, they CANNOT sell Star Engine because 1) The CryEngine license (which I have access to, since I have a CryEngine license) forbids it; as does the LumberYard license (which I also have access to). So that bullshit you guys are spreading about this, is just that: bullshit. Fucking lol if there is any dev who is going to license and engine to a game that's a horrific mess, unreleased, and doesn't work.

And which developer would want to license a CryEngine derivative for the reasons you stated when 1) there is currently NO proof their derivative change works 2) those same changes can be made in both UE4 and Unity5 with less hassle AND continued support from those companies.

Need I even go into the part whereby if that were the case, then Amazon - which already has a CryEngine derivative - would be the party most interested in such a thing if it did exist?

There currently NO games that require a 64-Bit world addressing because a "floating origin" solution is quicker, far more efficient, and can be implemented in ANY game engine.

And once again, your abject ignorance (which is magnified by your continued need to be repetitive - which is only going to get you banned again) comes into play. An E.L.E isn't a single event, and it never was.

I put a question mark in there for a reason. You see I don't presume my musings are actual fact but just a proposition.

Rumour was they were trying to sell their technology at Gamescom. A rumour perpetuated by yourself. What do you suppose they were attempting to sell to other developers?

Motto

« Reply #1257 on: September 16, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
That's what we are all wondering about ever since that rumour first started. CIG does not have a license to sell CryEngine or Lumberyard, so there is not much to sell. Besides that, the things they have done with Cryengine and Lumberyard don't work. And even if they did, it still would be a much safer bet for any other game developer to try to build that same technique themselves - if not already available in newer versions of game engines, than using a license from CIG. Since CIG isn't the most trustworthy company at the moment, for one.

The only reason to split of the IP rights, is to create what we call a "sterfhuisconstructie". It's impossible to translate, literally it would say "dyinghousecontruction"; the best translation sofar is: leveraged die-out (form of financial reorganization of an insolvent company). Basically, you take a (shell) company and transfer all the bad parts (debt, pensions, staff, whatever) of a company to that shell while the main company remains holding only the good parts. The shell then files for bankruptcy and the main company can keep on operating without all the bad stuff. A "sterfhuisconstructie" is legal, but is has to be done very carefully to avoid it being fraudulent conveyance. It's a very thin line between those two.

Now, the latest actions by Chris with that 4th shell suggest to me that he's trying to setup a leveraged die-out.

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #1258 on: September 16, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
That's what we are all wondering about ever since that rumour first started. CIG does not have a license to sell CryEngine or Lumberyard, so there is not much to sell. Besides that, the things they have done with Cryengine and Lumberyard don't work. And even if they did, it still would be a much safer bet for any other game developer to try to build that same technique themselves - if not already available in newer versions of game engines, than using a license from CIG. Since CIG isn't the most trustworthy company at the moment, for one.

The only reason to split of the IP rights, is to create what we call a "sterfhuisconstructie". It's impossible to translate, literally it would say "dyinghousecontruction"; the best translation sofar is: leveraged die-out (form of financial reorganization of an insolvent company). Basically, you take a (shell) company and transfer all the bad parts (debt, pensions, staff, whatever) of a company to that shell while the main company remains holding only the good parts. The shell then files for bankruptcy and the main company can keep on operating without all the bad stuff. A "sterfhuisconstructie" is legal, but is has to be done very carefully to avoid it being fraudulent conveyance. It's a very thin line between those two.

Now, the latest actions by Chris with that 4th shell suggest to me that he's trying to setup a leveraged die-out.

:rip: new shell company

Motto

« Reply #1259 on: September 16, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
I actually think it's the other way around for this one. Put the "good parts" in the IP shell and let the current CIG production die out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:04:18 AM by Motto »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk