Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1136797 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #900 on: August 27, 2017, 11:17:21 PM »
Latest 3.0 release prediction:

StanTheMan

« Reply #901 on: August 28, 2017, 01:23:50 AM »
A $156M game, 6 years in dev, can't figure out ramps. In pictures.

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DIKUMRBXcAA4ocO.mp4

Whatīs actually baffling isnīt that getting a rover up a ramp that is set in uneven terrain would cause problems; its that CIG didnīt seem to realize that it would be a problem, and simply add tiny thrusters that lift up the rover enough to clear ramps.

It all smacks of fire fighting with too little time or skill to put out the fires.

Backers force fit the evidence to suit their delusions.

It cant be a scam because if it was these issues would be sorted out. 

They are not sorted out because they are busy doing more important things and this is just a demo.

allison

« Reply #902 on: August 28, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »
The consensus here seems to be that the Star Citizen project will end in catastrophic failure. Jail terms, backers out for blood, etc.

What are the chances of a Freelancer ending? Chris Roberts ousted, game eventually completed under new management.

Motto

« Reply #903 on: August 28, 2017, 10:16:48 PM »
None I would say. There is so much money involved that nobody will want to take the risc. They rather start over from scratch. And, it is most likely technically impossible to make the game Chris has in mind why would they bother? The failure of Chris is a clear sign to stay away.

Aya Reiko

« Reply #904 on: August 28, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
The consensus here seems to be that the Star Citizen project will end in catastrophic failure. Jail terms, backers out for blood, etc.

What are the chances of a Freelancer ending? Chris Roberts ousted, game eventually completed under new management.
Freelancer, unlikely.

I'm thinking more like DNF.  CIG goes bust and someone else picks through its ashes.  If they think SC is salvageable enough, they'll just polish it up and shove it out the door.

Motto

« Reply #905 on: August 28, 2017, 11:16:54 PM »
Nobody will do that. They can't take over the game without the risc that they are also being held responsible for the money people have spent on it. The kickstarter funding and the pledging selling afterwards are too much a risc to take. If even one backer would go to court and win, it could turn catastrophic. So nobody will take that chance. And there isn't much to salvage either. A big company just has to make a similar game to attract the backers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:44:28 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #906 on: August 29, 2017, 05:39:26 AM »

It's neither going to be Freelancer, nor DNF, nor Daikatana; or even 38 Studios. None of those. The reason is simple.

Chris has taken on pre-order liability to the tune of $157M (or whatever the accurate amount is, less the refunds). This wasn't his own money, or publisher money to burn. If you just take the gamer liability of the pre-orders alone, without considering bank loans, investor money etc, it's easy to see that whoever is dumb enough to take this on, not only has to deal with that financial liability, but they also have to deal with the legal ramifications of doing so.

Due to how it's being funded, I fully expect this to crash and burn suddenly, not a slow, long burn like some are expecting. The reason I believe this is because once it becomes clear to the remaining backer whales that they were never getting either of the games, the funding will dry up. And that will be the end.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #907 on: August 29, 2017, 08:35:45 AM »
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/902547231831707648

BREAKING: Several sources saying that Star Citizen is the #1 blocker for SQ42, and that the latter is likely facing the chopping block.

Back in Feb 2017, I wrote a missive stating that SQ42 may end up a justanothergamemode

If the slide shown at GC2017 last week of a multi-game launcher is any indication, this may now be the case

Apparently nothing in SQ42 currently works - at all. And for a single-player game relying on advanced AI for it's story, this is very bad
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:37:46 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #908 on: August 29, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
LOL!!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #909 on: August 29, 2017, 11:24:33 AM »
The best explanation of my E.L.E to date

D_Smart posted:
I agree with this assessment, though I don't think GC2017 was the actual E.L.E. You see, and E.L.E comes in phases. I regard GC2017 as the "surge" phase where the ripples start radiating outward more rapidly and more powerfully, thus affecting a wider subset of affected caught in the initial blast which I wrote about back in April 2016.
Yeah, this is why some people claim that you're full of shit, because they're looking for a single event where the whole thing collapses without realising that an extinction level event or nemesis event is effectively an environmental change that makes the ongoing viability unlikely.

WRT the KT Event, the asteroid hitting the earth was the event; the actual die-back took quite a while longer. If you're looking for a single thing to pin it on, missing the December 16th deadline, after Roberts declared it was a defining moment. That they've not actually moved forward in that stalled year is more your large saurians dropping dead and a bunch of really hungry looking predators milling around.

Every time there's an event like this where they tease a little bit more and throw out a ship sale, there's another percentage of vaguely reasonable backers that are asking, 'where was the progress?' and simply fucking off. If I was more invested in another side of this, it would be amusing to plot the likes and retweets from SC over time to see the larger trend.

Certainly the guy that intimated that the development would be completely open-ended is justifying Roberts' refusal to supply any time frame, and they've shifted that a couple of times. At this point I suspect that they want to get 3.0 in this year, but are not confident; let that sink in for a moment.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #910 on: August 29, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
Go vote for your version of the E.L.E.

https://strawpoll.com/zabafkeh

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #911 on: August 29, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
I cannot believe that 27% of respondents actually believe that he will release the full game as promised. I guess they discarded the fact that Roberts said that he will deliver a minimally viable product. Straight from the horses mouth and they say "No. I discard your facts and choose to to substitute them with my own reality". I suppose Roberts is grateful that there are still those who live in their own special universe, where things are whatever they wish them to be. It keeps some money coming. Ultimately these people probably were hoping that this game would provide a graphic representation of their little dream world.

What a mind blowing cult.

I wonder if Roberts will have a huge vat of Kool Aid at their final convention?

N0mad

« Reply #912 on: August 30, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »
Just putting this out there - is it time to let Serendipity back in?

I would imagine that he'll be a little more muted in his support of CIG after the GamesCom debacle.

Padrepapp

« Reply #913 on: August 30, 2017, 01:01:48 AM »
Just putting this out there - is it time to let Serendipity back in?

I would imagine that he'll be a little more muted in his support of CIG after the GamesCom debacle.

I wouldn't bet on it...

StanTheMan

« Reply #914 on: August 30, 2017, 03:11:30 AM »
I cannot believe that 27% of respondents actually believe that he will release the full game as promised. I guess they discarded the fact that Roberts said that he will deliver a minimally viable product. Straight from the horses mouth and they say "No. I discard your facts and choose to to substitute them with my own reality". I suppose Roberts is grateful that there are still those who live in their own special universe, where things are whatever they wish them to be. It keeps some money coming. Ultimately these people probably were hoping that this game would provide a graphic representation of their little dream world.

What a mind blowing cult.

I wonder if Roberts will have a huge vat of Kool Aid at their final convention?

Has everyone read the latest major piece from Derek ?

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/star-citizen-musings/

Chris Roberts and Sandi don't look like worried people to me - but I only see them at staged events.

You can believe that they are quite happy taking the $ they pay themselves and the attention.

It is also not difficult to believe they imagine they would escape any serious legal troubles.

It isn't difficult to believe they think they have plenty more jpegs to sell and there are plenty of other companies that will get involved with them.

It isn't difficult to believe they think can capture a lot of interest of people who play plenty of other gaming genres and break into the Asian markets.

The illusion of progress and stability is enough for many Backers for now.

The smoke and mirrors are sufficient for Croberts  to keep recruiting more Backers, albeit in smaller volumes.

We could do with a poll relating to what it would take for someone to ask for a refund or their state of mind as regards refunds.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:19:18 AM by StanTheMan »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk