Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1134063 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #690 on: August 02, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
Will Leverett 7-30-2017

"It’s also important to consider that what 3.0 meant a year ago is a shadow of what 3.0 means today. Back then, Planetary Tech would have offered a fraction of the freedom that it does in 3.0, and most of the numerous infrastructure updates going into it now did not exist. [WL: Edited previous sentence for clarity] Roughly speaking, the approach was that we’d be able to deliver four roughly built, predetermined, pre-scripted, landing zones. The reality is that those would have been rather limited, and ultimately, somewhat of a variation of what Area 18 ArcCorp is today in terms of features and functionality. "

I don't recall ^ crap being what Chris was 'selling' 3.0 as being back @ GC/CC 2016.

It's not. They've started walking back promises and expectations.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Darklegend1

« Reply #691 on: August 03, 2017, 03:57:58 AM »
Will Leverett 7-30-2017

"It’s also important to consider that what 3.0 meant a year ago is a shadow of what 3.0 means today. Back then, Planetary Tech would have offered a fraction of the freedom that it does in 3.0, and most of the numerous infrastructure updates going into it now did not exist. [WL: Edited previous sentence for clarity] Roughly speaking, the approach was that we’d be able to deliver four roughly built, predetermined, pre-scripted, landing zones. The reality is that those would have been rather limited, and ultimately, somewhat of a variation of what Area 18 ArcCorp is today in terms of features and functionality. "

I don't recall ^ crap being what Chris was 'selling' 3.0 as being back @ GC/CC 2016.

If the backers are ok with these lies and are willingly ready to get fucked then i dont feel sorry for them. They should be fucked and milked as hard as possible.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #692 on: August 03, 2017, 05:54:27 AM »
Hey guys, please don't forget that we're not those guys over on Reddit. So let's keep it clean around here. Thanks!
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #693 on: August 03, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »

Just follow the schedule

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #694 on: August 03, 2017, 06:50:21 AM »
It's as if all these streamers know what's coming

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/160825392?t=38m25s

Motto

« Reply #695 on: August 03, 2017, 09:12:06 AM »
I really don't understand why they are worried about it. The MVP is nowhere to be seen and Chris has stated that they have enough money to complete SQ42. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Star Citizen is coming, keep the faith. Just don't forget to give CIG more  :10bux: just to be on the safe side in case Chris might have overstated some things.

I took a quick look at DS Reddit and well, they are not so nice. Did expect that of course, but still. They seem to be convinced about a lot of qualities and opinions that Derek has. That's their prerogative of course. But it got me wondering.

Let assume that Derek is right. The technology at the moment isn't there to actually build the game as promised by Chris. The fact that they still have almost nothing to show for is a clear indication. If this kind of long development period is to be expected, because of "all the new stuff that nobody has done before" than at least Chris is an idiot. His timeframe is way off by his original promises. If indeed he had actual knowledge, he wouldn't have made that timeframe now would he? Anyway, the technique isn't there, it can't be build. CIG has spend al the money received and now it's gone. No more money, no game to be seen. CIG collapses. The end of Star Citizen. As predicted by Derek. It might have taken a bit longer, but "the game - as pitched - can't be made."

Now, are those (totally delusional) fanboys at Reddit going to admit that Derek was right? When all the details are getting out there, the mismanagement, the technical difficulties, the money being misappropiated and all that other stuff that made SC the trainwreck it became, will they admit to it? Probaly not, but maybe it'll be fun to start gathering their arguments already. So, a list of arguments why Chris failed but Derek wasn't right. I'll start:

- Derek started the downfall of CIG with his first blog and the continuing war afterwards. Chris basically never stood a chance.
- The things Chris wanted to do were so innovative and new, they just needed more time to build it. But it could have been done, the things CIG put out there are proof of that.
- That they didn't have more time because there wasn't any more money, that is because of Derek. His personal vendetta on Chris caused people to stop buying more JPEGs, so the XYZ m just wasn't enough. Now if they had managed to get XYZ millions, SC would have been out there.

Anybody got other arguments that the fanboys will use to justify that Derek wasn't right? I'm actually looking forward to the meltdown that'll happen when CIG collapses. How they'll justify everything in the end, despite the continous evidence delivered by Derek, will be spectacular to read.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:14:40 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #696 on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
While I am sure that they WILL find a way to blame me for all or part of it, that notion will just create even more lols.

I mean, think about it, how can one person - who they claim is an insignificant failed developer - be responsible for the complete failure of a $150M+ company to launch a product?

Some of them have admitted that I have been right in some regard, and in some things. Others are in complete denial of that because it goes against their narrative. The reason being, the only thing worse than Chris Roberts failing, is for Derek Smart to be right about anything.

Also, considering that Chris has always claimed to have "healthy financial reserves", coupled with the fact that "if funding stopped, they would still be able to finish and ship SQ42", I don't see how they're going to explain these two things. But since they all know that Chris Roberts lies anyway, I guess some of the more sensible backers will call this out, regardless.

There is no question in my mind that the project is FUBAR and that he can't deliver what he promised. What's left to see now is when the final collapse comes, what form it will take.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #697 on: August 03, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »
It's a whole thread of Tweets. Enjoy

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/893165038269329410

Motto

« Reply #698 on: August 03, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »
I don't know if that was smart wise. Now they can alter their plans to do what you said they would do to prove you right  :supaburn:

But if the rest is even bigger than this, Games Com will be fun  :woop:

You'll be releasing the rest as close as possible to the opening of Games Com? So 15 minutes before the grand opening, you'll drop the mother of the motherload of all motherloads?

Oh, BTW, your biggest mistake so far of course, is writing LumberYard. You know Chris is right and you are wrong because it is Lumberyard.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:55:07 PM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #699 on: August 03, 2017, 02:15:43 PM »
Oh trust me, the rest is even crazier. The more hilarious part of the SQ42 rumor is that they are rendering the cutscenes in Maya. Which means they can't claim "in-engine" anymore. They were hoping not to get busted I think.  :laugh:

As SQ42 doesn't even exist as a "game", they're basically taking the bits they do have, and which are just various unfinished segments, to show as a WIP "demo". Sources tell me that it's all a mountain of lies, on the same level as "The Worm" from CitizenCon.

They have two weeks to GamesCom. Assuming they don't cancel, if this isn't bullshit I'm being fed, I don't see how they would have enough time to change anything to such a drastic degree in order to prove me wrong.

N0mad

« Reply #700 on: August 03, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »
Derek's twitter thread made me smile  :lol:

I don't know if that was smart wise. Now they can alter their plans to do what you said the would do to prove you right 

What would they alter their plans to? Would they show their tech demo and claim that it's 3.0 instead? If they did it would be a huge mistake as it would imply that 3.0 is finished and playable. People will expect all the scripted (ie. not real Game AI) stuff to be in the release as well.

They need to distract people with something big and shiny and justifiably out of reach (like SQ42). Trouble is that it will work, and they'll fund their next 6 months of development with ship sales from the event.

Motto

« Reply #701 on: August 03, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
Boy, some of you need to learn to read  :laugh: Try my comment once more  :c00lbert:

But it is a smart move. Distracting from the missing 3.0 build that was announced on the previous Games Com by going for the SQ42 again. You know, the one they can deliver so that with the revenue from that game, they can finish the rest of SC  :woop:

Now, how stupid are the backers gonna be? Will they fall for it once more? The thing is, you can't really prove it's a demo untill you can compare it to actual gameplay and by then, it's easy to say "yeah, we altered it long since". However, I'm betting even the more hardcore backers will start to scrutinize everything being said, done and shown. The number of people actually getting fed up with more sales, empty promises and no progress whatsoever are increasing. A mutiny might be at hand  :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:56:36 PM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #702 on: August 03, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
It's a whole thread of Tweets. Enjoy

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/893165038269329410

So, this is the only thread I will use for the ones I want to share before Aug 22nd. So get ready; it's truly hilarious. Trust me

They are going to show a sample mission from SQ42. Except that it's created specifically for GamesCom. Like "The Worm"

It features an Idris ship which, for some reason, they can't get to work properly. Aside from on-going texture filtering issues in engine

So their brilliant idea is to, get this, render the cut-scene in Maya, instead of in CryEngine. I shit you not.

There is apparently one sample scenario, which has 3-4 cut scenes, and 3-4 small missions.

The missions feature ships like the Avenger, Cutlass and maybe a Mustang.

Mission types are same boring combat you've come to know and love in Star Citizen. Except they're getting ready to fake it till they make it

The fake it till they make it part is where the pre-scripted stuff comes in. Remember "The Worm" from CitizenCon? Sure you do.

Apparently this all takes place around Crusader, which they're going to re-texture to make it look like it's another part of the galaxy

Which is going to be hilarious, considering that an Idris is supposed to be parked above Port Olisar.

That's all SQ42 scoop for now. As always, take this with a HUGE bag of salt cuz I get sent nonsense all the time to share with backers

Seriously, the stuff coming out of this project is so hilarious & scary, that I dare not even share the ones coming from trusted sources

Oh, in case you were wondering, 3.0 is still an absolute mess that needs another 4-6 months to be considering ready for non-dev release

And in the most hilarious news to date, the "new" netcode, is now a 2018 merge, and nobody knows if it will be in 3.x or 4.x

Which, if you know anything about the netcode in Star Citizen, then you already know what to expect if/when they drop 3.0 in Aug/Sept

But don't mind me though. I encourage all believers to continue donating. Let's keep the farce alive a bit longer. We need the lols

BONUS 1/2: "3.0 currently is magnitudes worse than 2.0 was back in Summer 2015 but we released it anyway. that's the current plan"

BONUS 2/2: "LumberYard switch is the most disastrous decision to date. has all but sealed the project's fate as a disaster"

StanTheMan

« Reply #703 on: August 03, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »
Why would switching to Lumberyard be a disaster (save for the cost implications of running the game on amazon servers) ?

Bugs ?

Motto

« Reply #704 on: August 03, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
CIG started with Cryengine but then re-programmed the Cryengine engine heavily. Lumberyard basically is the same, an alteration of the core Cryengine engine. So now CIG has to reprogram their heavily modded Cryengine code to another altered Cryengine version. That doesn't go down easy, as one can imagine.

It's like I build a house from cement that is made with salt, not sand. Sand of course, is better, but I went with salt anyway. Nobody knows why I did, but I did. Now somebody else builds houses with altered cement too, but they use sugar. Sugar being a good substitute for sand. And now I need to change the cement on the houses I already build. Not clear why I need to do that (probably because of moneyproblems), but I do. However, not by taking the cement out and putting fresh cement in, no, I need to replace the salt in my cement with sugar without removing the cementlayer. And of course, the houses are occupied, so I may not disrupt the owner's comfort whilst doing it. The worst part is, I can't start building the rest of the houses until I have learned how to swap the salt for sugar in my pre-mix. Because I was a little stupid, and I pre-mixed all my cement at once. I could throw that pre-mix cement away, if only I had the money to buy new cement. To keep on afloat whilst I fix my cement problems, I sell people nice pictures of beautiful homes I can build with that cement. I also sell pictures of garages, doghouses, lawns, drive-thru's and I have a special selection of 3D drawn rooftiles that come with holographic features. Unfortunately, I can only sell pictures. The cement problem, that's not fixable.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:18:26 PM by Motto »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk