Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1134012 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #765 on: August 08, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »
I was wondering about that. I don't know much about gamedesigning (although, I'm in ICT, so some basic general knowledge is there) but it seems to me that CIG is always boasting about things they're doing as being unique and never done before and what not, when in fact it's just common software/tools/methods. Or am I wrong in that feeling?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #766 on: August 08, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »
I was wondering about that. I don't know much about gamedesigning (although, I'm in ICT, so some basic general knowledge is there) but it seems to me that CIG is always boasting about things they're doing as being unique and never done before and what not, when in fact it's just common software/tools/methods. Or am I wrong in that feeling?

That's precisely what they're doing. They are coming up with all this nonsense (e.g. procedurally generated planets) that we've all done before, and passing them off as new and innovative. Meanwhile, Star Citizen is barely a CryEngine mod at this point.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/895003969856163840
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #768 on: August 08, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »
 :smuggo: Does this come with a timeline?

Motto

« Reply #769 on: August 08, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »
Of course. Just factor in some small delays, just to be on the safe side  :smuggo:

N0mad

« Reply #770 on: August 08, 2017, 02:02:09 PM »

CIG are pushing the boundaries of what games can do with their incredible high fidelity technology such as:
  • Subsumption AI  (because other games can't do AI?)
  • Item 2.0 (making other bits of the ship code talk to each other - who knew?)
  • Mega Map technology (Asset streaming - a bit like every other open world game?)
Now - new to their list of technologies, that every other game engine already has, comes Render To Texture!

CIG: they might not be able to make a game but they know how to talk bullsh**

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #771 on: August 08, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »
:smuggo: Does this come with a timeline?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #772 on: August 08, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

CIG are pushing the boundaries of what games can do with their incredible high fidelity technology such as:
  • Subsumption AI  (because other games can't do AI?)
  • Item 2.0 (making other bits of the ship code talk to each other - who knew?)
  • Mega Map technology (Asset streaming - a bit like every other open world game?)
Now - new to their list of technologies, that every other game engine already has, comes Render To Texture!

CIG: they might not be able to make a game but they know how to talk bullsh**

You forgot the most important ones:

- Procedurally (except they're not; not really) generated planets
- Render To Texture <--- this is HUGE!!
- Persistence (ability to save/restore data to/from a fucking dB backend)
- Localized physics <--- LOL!! I don't even know where to begin with this one
- 64-Bit engine <--- LMAO!! Except it's just a range hack, not a 64-Bit engine upgrade
- Seamless space<->planet transition <--- This one will be huge, never done before - like by any one. On Earth

There's more, but I couldn't be bothered because it's all so stupid.

Knight Solaire

« Reply #773 on: August 08, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
You forgot about player gestures! I'm pretty sure you can pick your nose in 3.0.  :thumbsup:

concern

« Reply #774 on: August 08, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »
Kiosks

Motto

« Reply #775 on: August 08, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
In game clothing to buy and actually wear.

Motto

« Reply #776 on: August 09, 2017, 03:43:58 AM »
And another one goes down the drain. No confidence in Games Com

Quote: Do you think they're scrambling for something to show now that 3.0 is pushed back beyond the conference, or have they finally learned the benefit of underpromising and overdelivering after doing the opposite for so long?

I can't wait for Derek's revelations :woop:

Boy, Chris is fucked. For all those fanboys lurking here: get a refund. Quick!

Knight Solaire

« Reply #777 on: August 09, 2017, 04:18:10 AM »
It seems more like the faithful are intentionally lowering their own expectations so they can overreact and lose their shit for even a hint of something new during the demo. The 3.0 delays have no doubt been caused in part by devs being pulled off to work on the annual smoke and mirrors show.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #778 on: August 09, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
You forgot about player gestures! I'm pretty sure you can pick your nose in 3.0.  :thumbsup:

...and vaulting

http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=77&qid=8

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #779 on: August 09, 2017, 10:05:03 AM »
And another one goes down the drain. No confidence in Games Com

Quote: Do you think they're scrambling for something to show now that 3.0 is pushed back beyond the conference, or have they finally learned the benefit of underpromising and overdelivering after doing the opposite for so long?

3.0 is looking like the Hail Mary. I can't say much more than that at this point.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk