Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1135486 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1080 on: September 02, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
Curiously, the Star Citizen refund Reddit is getting a lot of post-GC2017 action

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:00:29 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1081 on: September 02, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »
Oh man, this is gold. People are actually making parody commercials based on the 600i clip :dance:

Chris definately overplayed his hand this time.

I do have to hand it to CIG though, that sales clip of the 600i is nicely done. The graphics are stunning. Too bad there isn't a game that comes with it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:26:22 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1082 on: September 03, 2017, 05:13:15 AM »
Oh man, this is gold. People are actually making parody commercials based on the 600i clip :dance:

Chris definately overplayed his hand this time.

I do have to hand it to CIG though, that sales clip of the 600i is nicely done. The graphics are stunning. Too bad there isn't a game that comes with it.

Yeah, these are so good. I mean seriously, even their own backers are taking the piss now.  :supaburn:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1083 on: September 04, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
We just take these with a hefty helping of salt now. Latest EightAce leak:

Just about everyone has let him down .
As he chugs back vodka in a wilmslow bar with his old school friends  ( who don't actually want to be there ). He ruminates on his situation. Somewhere beneath his luxurious thatch of natural and well groomed hair , he knows the jig is up.
 Nothing is panning out as intended. He didn't show the sq42 trailer at gamescom after all because he's now decided to quietly roll it into sc proper and it won't be a standalone but the backers aren't ready for this bombshell yet.
  His oldest most trusted cohorts have told him the 3.0 presentation went down a storm but the internet says otherwise ? Why can no one keep up with his vision ? Why is he surrounded by fools ?
  The tarmac is running out . The one huge secret that only himself and these four guys drinking with him know about could become public before Christmas. Winter is indeed coming.
  Time to turn off the emails and lay low for a while  . Citizen con is not far now. He can do this . The vision must not fade , one last bespoke presentation . But it must be as smooth as butter no more fuckups his editing team had to chop over an hour from gamescom before they had anything looking even vaguely competent. People are asking questions. People he really doesn't want asking questions..... financial people.
  It's time to activate the plan . He needs a scapegoat for this final phase. Whose it going to be .....

As to SQ42, I called that one back in Feb 2017, as did TheAgent I believe.

As I wrote back then, it definitely makes sense for it to be #justagamemode accessible via the launcher, like Star Marine, PU etc. And I think the new launcher feature that allows it to launch different game modes, probably supports this theory.

However, if they're going to, instead of having a stand-alone SQ42 accessible via the launcher and played like Star Marine, roll it's missions into the PU --> :laffo: because the fallout would be amazing.

I personally don't believe they're going to do that. Their best bet is to have the full game accessible via the launcher, and played as a separate entity like Star Marine.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1084 on: September 04, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »
But nobody backed for a MMO game mode. Offline single player was the deal at Kickstarter.

Resin

« Reply #1085 on: September 05, 2017, 04:47:30 AM »
But nobody backed for a MMO game mode. Offline single player was the deal at Kickstarter.

Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1086 on: September 05, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »

Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

Yeah. It was supposed to be both single and multiplayer - and never was to be an MMO.

As I've written in my blogs, somewhere along the line, croberts decided that he was making an MMO after all. Then subsequently increased the scope; for which he got $65M to build an MMO. That was in Nov 2014; the same month he was supposed to be shipping the original non-MMO game promised.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/faqs

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1087 on: September 05, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »

Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

A lot of what CRoberts does seems to be an afterthought.

Orgetorix

« Reply #1088 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

:lesnick:  :sandance: :gary: :yarg: :lesnick: :sandance:

I remember reading this at the time, and my hand, of it's own accord, started to reach for my wallet. Then a little voice in my head whispered, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is." That brought me right back to my senses, and I figured the proof is always in the pudding, and a goodly amount of the time, the waiting is the doing.

Looking at that original kickstarter FAQ, just reinforces my current view of SC. It was always a scam, could never have been anything but a scam.

That little paragraph right there is a mainline right into Croberts cerebral cortex.

"Be all things to all people, promise them the literal world, because it's your time now to be the great man, to accomplish what others only could have dreamed of! You will strike your name into the anvil of game dev history with such force that no one would ever doubt that you are the greatest game dev that ever lived!"

All the while what he's really doing is sweet talking backers into a position where he has their complete and total trust. All the while using that complete trust, to milk them for as much as they're worth, with nothing more than feckless lies...

Orgetorix

« Reply #1089 on: September 05, 2017, 07:22:05 PM »

Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

A lot of what CRoberts does seems to be an afterthought.

I'd have to disagree with that. In my view it's a healthy measure of "malice aforethought", with a judicious sprinkling of "actus reus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea"... 

Fool Me Once

« Reply #1090 on: September 06, 2017, 01:37:10 AM »

Yes, but the funding didn´t really kick off until suddenly what was meant to be an addon became the main focus. How else can it be, when most of the funding has come from ships meant to be used in the MMO game mode that suppossedly nobody backed?  CIG realized where the money was for now and where it would be in the future and went with it. Without the "unwanted" MMO game mode they wouldn´t have raised anywhere near the cash they have.

One can argue whether having less cash and keeping the game to a much smaller focus might´ve helped. Personally, i don´t think it would´ve. CIG has systemic problems of the type that are generally caused by bad management and a lack of direction. Since we´re not inside CIG we can´t be 100% sure but the evidence points to those being the largest issues facing CIG. In light of that I can´t imagine keeping the game single player would´ve changed much other than perhaps things coming to a head much sooner.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1091 on: September 06, 2017, 02:52:32 AM »
Whaddya mean no direction. Roberts had them going in every direction all at once and every single choice had to come across his desk for his personal approval. It was the perfect recipe for failure. He just lets backers go on talking and convincing themselves that every pet feature will be in the game. Mechas, sure, Hookerbots, no problem, human trafficking, yea we got that. Some of these backers are real deviants but he caters to them if they have a big credit card.

The sad reality is that he build his house of cards on a shitty foundation a modified cryengine. It will never work. I think it's time for another Hitler parody on YouTube, this time it's Chris Roberts turn.

Like this but better, much better. But it was an effort in the right direction. http://www.captiongenerator.com/610162/Star-Citizen-30-is-coming

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1092 on: September 06, 2017, 04:47:33 AM »

Yes, but the funding didn´t really kick off until suddenly what was meant to be an addon became the main focus. How else can it be, when most of the funding has come from ships meant to be used in the MMO game mode that suppossedly nobody backed?  CIG realized where the money was for now and where it would be in the future and went with it. Without the "unwanted" MMO game mode they wouldn´t have raised anywhere near the cash they have.

One can argue whether having less cash and keeping the game to a much smaller focus might´ve helped. Personally, i don´t think it would´ve. CIG has systemic problems of the type that are generally caused by bad management and a lack of direction. Since we´re not inside CIG we can´t be 100% sure but the evidence points to those being the largest issues facing CIG. In light of that I can´t imagine keeping the game single player would´ve changed much other than perhaps things coming to a head much sooner.

Yeah, that's basically it. Once they figured out that pre-selling DLC was a money maker, all of a sudden they were making an MMO after all.

And no, they would never have raised this much money if it wasn't for the increase/change in scope, as well as the selling of what backers thought was a phenomenal game.

Let's not forget the Nov 2012 pledge (which seems so hilariously out of place now), complete with official statement:

The Pledge

You’ve spent the last month pledging for the Star Citizen project with your money, your time and your trust. Now it’s time for us to do the same.
We’ve created “The Pledge”, a founding document to let you know the standards to which we intend to keep ourselves to and how we will keep you informed and involved in the process over the next two years. You can access The Pledge here.

helimoth

« Reply #1093 on: September 06, 2017, 06:17:09 AM »
Still no sign of extinction. Couple million in sales over the last couple of weeks. Another month of operations secure. Looking forward to Citizencon. Now is this one going to be the last one they ever do it was that last year? Getting hard to remember all the predictions as this project keeps on going...

For a shitizen you seem remarkably keen to hold people accountable to things they've said in the past. Derek has to work with limited information and make his best prediction based on that. If your lord and master croberts would like to open up the books I bet Derek could make a better estimate of the life left in the old girl.  :smuggo:

Bubba

« Reply #1094 on: September 06, 2017, 06:19:08 AM »
Here are some slow-burn answers to questions long since buried.
First, you may ask, why the thread necro? Well, why the Pledge necro in the post above? Why, for that matter, should this site keep reminding people of the long and short history of what's going on.
Now, where are all these new people coming from? We've been here since the beginning. I saw the SC Kickstarter launch; I have friends who bought in. I followed the Escapist article/ CR vs. DS debate. I read what's going on here with the same interest I followed Tomi Ahonen's blog during the years that Elop took Nokia from industry leader to zero. Now, that Ahonen guy is crazy and has nutty ideas that break the rules of physics, like Apple releasing a 100-megapixel pocket camera, but he was right about Nokia, and, in his increasingly long posts, he laid out the case which was fundamentally right from the start. So too, I'll go on record as saying that Dr. Smart has and has had some bad ideas and some crazy ideas, but when he talks about SC having an "Extinction Level Event", I have to agree that this won't end well.
Any doubters just need to see the 600i: they're basically selling a space-vagina whose sole merit over other ships is that it's more expensive. I'm surprised y'all haven't started calling it the "whale-boat". Sure, you all deride this whole operation as "Selling JPEGs", but that deflationary reading really leaves aside the monstrous problem that has existed since the beginning: it's not just that they won't ever build those ships they've been advertising with their fantastic, sizzle-rich commercials; it's that they can't. Assume they somehow actually build this thing that they're promising: a space sim that obeys some rules of physics and breaks others, with a variety of weapons and crafts.

Now, given the constraints of this system, we as gamers and developers know that things work in-game differently than as planned. Will their "Pseudo-Firefly Class" boat be the best at smuggling? If their missions involve sending two teams at the same chunk of space, how much is your underpowered "low sig" engines gonna help you?

In short, before you can even start making pretty commercials about concept ships, you need to inhabit that simulated space and come up with the vehicles that make sense for the simulation; to do it the other way only makes sense if you have a huge marketing budget to overpromise and underdeliver, which is also what scammers do.

But this is only one small concern in a pile of many larger ones as this project bloats its way to inevitable collapse. By the way, train wrecks are train wrecks because you stand haplessly by as they SLOWLY dump all that kinetic energy all over the place in a twisted, horrific display of bent metal and broken bodies. What we're in for is certainly a train wreck; it might be an E.L.E. too.

It somewhat reminds me of the train wreck of World War II Online, where a group of dangerously incompetent sim fans decided in 1999 to build a WW2 MMO. To test their concepts, they picked the Battle of France, with the plan to have the whole war simulated at some point. The development period featured a hilarious invasion of Team Fortress 2 fans who insisted that their game would be the only true realistic battlefield. For a week in June 2001, WW2OL was the top-selling game in the US. And it imploded due to being a downright unplayable, buggy mess with all kinds of weird decisions made by a team that had no business trying. They shipped a CD with code so broken, when the user connected on launch day to their servers, s/he had to download and install a "patch" that was the entire game, making WW2OL de facto the first chart-topping game to be distributed entirely via digital download. And yet only yesterday did they launch on Steam, as an Early Access game. I suppose Early Access in the sense that in the US, a kid who gets his driving license a few months after his sixteenth birthday can be said to have Early Access to an automobile.
But yes, I bought a copy of WW2OL in 2001. Why? Because watching the development/release train wreck I felt was worth fifty bucks.

Now I look at SC, and WW2OL is the best possible outcome for them: a buggy, stripped down product appealing to a niche audience that can fund a skeleton crew. Think of it as the white dwarf after the coming supernova.
More likely, we're getting a neutron star or a black hole, sucking in half of the Kickstarter ecosystem with it. So yeah, not exactly an E.L.E. or a trainwreck, but a supernova.

That's entertainment worth $50, but certainly not worth a home, a love, a friend.

[/rant]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk