Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1134494 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1665 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:27 PM »
Meanwhile, I was in my LinkedIn profile responding to a message, when I saw this. I was laughing so hard.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1666 on: November 21, 2017, 05:58:20 AM »
SomethingJones over on SA

Certainly seems that way. It'll be weird and sad to see what happens to the thread over the next few months.

They have 68 vacancies on their website, they've been throwing up job ads on Glassdoor and Indeed.co.uk like crazy over the last few weeks, THEY CANNOT HIRE FOR SHIT and it's completely obvious

Look at this - this is a single job listing for multiple roles, all posted today (Nov 20):
http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/jobs/cloud-imperium-game-recruiting-multiple-opening-59/

Senior Producer – Marketing
• Support the VP, Marketing on the coordination and execution of all global marketing initiatives.

Lead Character Technical Artist
• Work in a team along with the Technical Director of Content, Character Art Director, Lead Technical Artist and Animators to ensure quality and performance are met across all character assets and their development processes

Gameplay Engineer – Service & Backend

Character Artist

Technical Designer

Network Programmer

Graphic Designer

And then there's this, posted on Oct 27:
http://www.develop-online.net/interview/recruiter-hot-seat-cloud-imperium-games/0212944

Recruiter Hot Seat: Cloud Imperium Games

How many staff are you looking to take on?

The numbers will increase with the demands of the project, but currently we’re looking to hire upwards of 60 staff across multiple departments in our four international studios of Los Angeles (USA), Austin (USA), Manchester (UK) and Frankfurt (Germany). Some positions are not studio specific although others are; so if anyone is interested they should check out our website for further details.

If anyone who hasn’t done any research on the project then this always comes across the worst. Especially when we are so transparent in our development and have so much information readily available online. After those, people usually fall down due to poor punctuality, bad communication skills or a lack of confidence.

They threw up the animator vacancies on VFXexpress on November 1st:
http://vfxexpress.com/node/61

Senior Animator
Frankfurt, DE

Animator:
Frankfurt, DE

Lead Animator:
 Frankfurt, DE

Senior Animator:  Manchester, UK

Animator Manchester, UK

Motion Editor: Manchester, UK

Lead Animator:  Manchester, UK

Facial Animator:  Derby, UK

They can't even hire audio guys despite having vacancies listed for the entirety of 2017 - this is CRAZY. As well as advertising for audio people in the usual audio job sites look how completely desperate they are (posted Oct 13):

https://twitter.com/BroadcastBrazil/status/918895424609636352

And finally you can see the amount of vacancies that appeared literally in the last few weeks (some in the last few days) on JobsNeo:
http://www.jobsneo.com/cloud-imperium-games-jobs

I can only speak for myself but I see a lot of people walking away from this project - both devs and backers. This is evidenced by:
- the funding chart
- the refunds sub
- posts on Spectrum & SC subreddit
- the state of production, ie what they are putting out to Evocati
- the increase in job vacancies on CIG's website
- the increase in job listings sites being used by CIG
- the increase in recruitment sites being used by CIG

They're sunk.

Backers are leaving and getting refunds, staff are leaving and CIG can't fill the vacancies, the funding is going down - there's no other way to say it or interpret it, it's clear and straightforward. You can draw a straight line through everything CIG have produced and said and failed at over the last 2 years to arrive at this point. It was inevitable and predictable and here it is right now. No surprise, no drama. Just another failed kickstarter that very few people outside of a shrinking subreddit give any fucks about.

That senior marketing role not being filled says a lot about Sandi, and the way the job description is written says even more about her. That's another job you wouldn't be able to do because of the incompetence and inexperience directly above you.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1667 on: November 21, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
And it is usual for companies to advertise vacancies right up until they go down.

Punctuality being one of the main reasons they reject interviewees says a lot about CIG's selection process.

For professional level jobs,  the vast majority of candidates invited to interview turn up on time........ because they are professionals.

If you can't find entry level Animators in the UK when the universities just graduated hundreds ....you either have shit recruiter or you are lying about your vacancies.

Again if they had a clue they would have been building relationships with particular departments in Universities over the last couple of years to increase their chances of recruiting quality people in different disciplines.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:30:47 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1668 on: November 22, 2017, 04:36:58 AM »
Yeah, it's the oldest trick in the corporate book; to advertise vacancies as if everything is OK.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1669 on: November 22, 2017, 06:37:38 AM »
Shocking absolutely no one, the move to start selling plots of land on barren moons, is afoot. Saw this coming a mile away when they prioritized barren moons & useless land vehicles over actual game play in a SPACE COMBAT GAME.

Claiming Space: The Race For Land

Courtesy of SomethingJones over on SA

10 for the Chairman: Episode 46
Nov 24 2014

Q:
Is there a possibility that we get to choose our "home" on a planet. Let's say for instance that one has discovered a beautiful planet and decides that he/she wants to set up camp on that planet and live there. Can we build or buy our home or hangar and place it on the planet?

Chris Roberts:
We're definitely going to let you... ah... ah... acquire REAL ESTATE on... PLANETS or LOCATIONS... not sure if it's gonna be on every single one, you know, first it's gonna be on some of the more developed planets that we'll basically have hangars you can BUY or you know it'll be a PENTHOUSE APARTMENT or something with a view that you could get, um...

Longer term we wanna have the ability, I've talked about some of the procedural stuff, we'll have some new AREAS and PLANETS that people discover as they PUSH OUT and perhaps that planet is HABITABLE, there's a colony, a settlement that starts getting placed...

Also stumbled across this -
Star Citizen In Game Gambling
10 for the Chairman: Episode 39
Sep 29 2014

Answer via http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/10_for_the_Chairman_Episode_39

Chris Roberts:
I would say that we definitely want to have some level of gambling, or a Las Vegas equivalent in UEE space, keeping with the idea of immersion. We'll probably at some point do some minigame stuff like poker or their own gambling style games. I'm not so sure it'll be in V1.0, just because we have SO much stuff to do, but that's definitely on the agenda/list. So you could fly around, go down to planets, if it's a seedy planet you might walk around and get mugged by some NPC, or maybe a gambling den etc. We'll do all we can to make space, planets and everything in between feel alive and real, so having different things you can do, like poker against other players, would add to that feeling.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:48:08 AM by dsmart »

Meowz

« Reply #1670 on: November 22, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »
The guy cares more about mini-games than he does the main game....

Flashwit

« Reply #1671 on: November 22, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
The guy cares more about mini-games than he does the main game....

I think he may have figured out that it's easier to make a poker game than to make an MMO with massive player counts and actual gameplay. But what do I know, I'm not a game developer (but I do work at a massive game developer/publisher).

N0mad

« Reply #1672 on: November 22, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
Has anyone figured out when the land JPEG concept sales begin?

With everything that's going on it feels like a desperate cash grab either to try and keep things going for another 6 months or for senior management to line their pockets before the collapse.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1673 on: November 22, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »

No clue. But they can't do that before given spergs access to, you know, LAND, in the first place. That's where 3.0 comes in.

From the Chairman's letter that just went out, "3.0 to PTU by Dec 20!" I remember back in Aug 2016 when it was coming by Dec 19th, 2016. Good times.  :laugh:

Flashwit

« Reply #1674 on: November 23, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
That is straight-faced unbelievable. Judging by the current situation there's no way they're putting out something competent this year. I do see why they need to push it because it's going to be some pretty bad optics if nothing comes out this year, but it's going to be a piece of crap guaranteed.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1675 on: November 23, 2017, 04:53:07 PM »

Scruffpuff

« Reply #1676 on: November 23, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »

No clue. But they can't do that before given spergs access to, you know, LAND, in the first place. That's where 3.0 comes in.

From the Chairman's letter that just went out, "3.0 to PTU by Dec 20!" I remember back in Aug 2016 when it was coming by Dec 19th, 2016. Good times.  :laugh:

This shit just continues to blow me away.  What they're calling "3.0" has nearly nothing that was included this time last year, and promised to be released by Dec. 19th as you pointed out.  So a year later, they plan on releasing something called "3.0" that's completely devoid of features or improvements, nearly indistinguishable from 2.6 aside from a handful of superficial bullshit, and backers are fucking eating it up.

Because something called "3.0" came out.  Never mind that it wasn't what was promised - the patcher says it's 3.0, so Star Citizen is good, and Chris Roberts didn't lie.

It's a hell of a life for a backer when being "technically correct" is literally the only time they get to be correct at all.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1677 on: November 23, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
Yeah. As I said in the other thread, they're so starved for content, at this point they will take whatever they can get. So far, I haven't scene a SINGLE person having "fun" or doing ANYTHING meaningful in this game. All that is going on is going from A to B - at low fps - crash | glitch, rinse repeat. No missions. No game loop. No progression. Nothing.

And none of the the shit they promised a year ago, is in there.

Motto

« Reply #1678 on: November 25, 2017, 08:07:14 AM »
This one is just too funny  :D

Dear CIG, refunds are needed in 3.0.

So, now that shopping actually has more meaning in 3.0 and there is a much wider variety of what you can purchase as well as the fact that more people are probably going to be consistently playing 3.0, refunds are sorely needed in someway through your mobiglass or in-store.

I accidentally purchased an undersuit for 1k aUEC and didn't realize you only get the undersuit, not the entire armor set anymore (I was thinking prices were cheap for testing purposes). However, this made me want to put a thread out there to discuss needing a refund system with 3.0.

Perhaps, you only have up to 24 hours to refund your item you recently purchased? I'm sure there are many different ways to implement this quite easily........ just food for thought.

Refunding mechanism for in-game purchases   :lol:

N0mad

« Reply #1679 on: November 25, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
This one is just too funny  :D

Dear CIG, refunds are needed in 3.0.

The first reply is the best:
LOL you have no idea how many people will get triggered by that title, should have go refund for rec shop

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk