Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1136899 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #300 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:03 AM »
Indeed. But we've always known that this would happen. In fact, only the paid Shillizens and toxic Shitizen buffoons, are still trying to stifle dissent. Others are just going for refunds.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #301 on: January 14, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
So this appeared today

I tweeted this: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/819976771332345861
AFAIK, "Das Geduldsspiel" means "The Patience Game".

Narrenbart

Narrenbart

« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2017, 10:46:40 AM »
Basically this interview is really ...  I don't know where to start ...
Chris Roberts compares dropping a gun on a planet with player housing ... It's the same game mechanic ... just instead of a gun you drop a house ...
Either this guy has no idea about playerhousing or someone dropped a house on him ...

In his mind, playhousing is just a days hackjob i guess. Nobody who resembles a developer by the farthest meanings would ever think that this will work ...

Stan

« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
Basically this interview is really ...  I don't know where to start ...
Chris Roberts compares dropping a gun on a planet with player housing ... It's the same game mechanic ... just instead of a gun you drop a house ...
Either this guy has no idea about playerhousing or someone dropped a house on him ...

In his mind, playhousing is just a days hackjob i guess. Nobody who resembles a developer by the farthest meanings would ever think that this will work ...

JPEG houses .. .coming soon...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »
SQ42 on console. Blackmailing your backers 101

As soon as news broke about the Lumberyard engine switch, I knew this was going to happen. Which is pretty much why I mentioned it as one of the bullet points my Irreconcilable Differences blog.

http://www.dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

It just makes sense from a financial perspective.

The most hilarious thing is that they won't dare try to put Star Citizen on consoles, like Frontier did with Elite Dangerous because it's an un-optimized mess. Plus backer whales will completely revolt. Remember the "I am a PC game" spiel from 2012? Or how Chris Roberts proclaimed that he was "Going to save PC gaming"? No? Here it is again:

But with SQ42, given his recent statements (which you can read below) in the media about using it to fund SC if funding stopped, I think he is basically blackmailing backers now. See, if backers stop putting money into the SC furnace, then Chris will have to use SQ42 to fund it. Just like he said. Hence a console version seeing as most of the people who would have bought SQ42, have already PRE-PAID for it. So the growth path, especially for a space game with a completely disastrous and tarnished rep, is severely limited.

It's a fucking genius plan if you ask me.

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/star-citizen-musings/#post-5198
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:48:18 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
So as I reported a few months back about the high level execs and devs exiting the project, a group of them have started updating their social media profiles to reflect this.

The latest CFO (!), Joe Sothy left a few months back, changed his LinkedIn profile to consultant to CIG. Then a few weeks ago, he has updated it show that he left in Oct 2016.

As I mentioned on Twitter, recently, Ali Brown updated his social media to show he was no longer on the project. Then once I mentioned it on Twitter - without even mentioning his name - he later reverted it back.

Proof:

Jan 16th (before)

Jan 17th (after I broke the news)

So, along with one of the top SQ42 producers, Director of graphics engineering, the CFO, and several other top people, are GONE

This issue with Ali B is the first time we've seen someone revert their employment status like this. usually they don't even update it

Why people who no longer work for a company are scared to say that they don't. source: "payout bonuses won't be paid"

It's a double-edged sword. you either risk being attacked by Shitizens for exiting the project or risk your rep for saying you worked on it

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:43:34 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #308 on: January 17, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
Star Citizen Scam Hall meeting is online. It's pre-taped cuz you know, croberts will NEVER face a live audience

Go ahead, tell me that doesn't look like a bunch of stoned college dropouts theory-crafting about a class they're totally failing

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ol7zy/star_citizen_subscribers_town_hall_persistent/dck69ri/

I had low expectations, but that was just awful. Half of the questions were on things we already had clear answers to, and the other half were plain stupid. I think the only new information was a tiny bit of insight into some of the environmental hazards we may run into.
I don't know how many of you saw it, but there were some really good questions on the forum thread, and all them got ignored. I was having trouble justifying my subscription after all of the recent changes to community content, and I think this was the final nail in the coffin.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:31:28 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
Those Shillizens over at ex-INN wrote a very good article. Of course it's too little, too late. I've been asking them to hold CIG/RSI accountable for years now. They just laughed. Then attacked me.

Let's talk about the nature of community updates

Stan

« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2017, 08:59:17 PM »
So as I reported a few months back about the high level execs and devs exiting the project, a group of them have started updating their social media profiles to reflect this.

The latest CFO (!), Joe Sothy left a few months back, changed his LinkedIn profile to consultant to CIG. Then a few weeks ago, he has updated it show that he left in Oct 2016.

As I mentioned on Twitter, recently, Ali Brown updated his social media to show he was no longer on the project. Then once I mentioned it on Twitter - without even mentioning his name - he later reverted it back.

Proof:

Jan 16th (before)

Jan 17th (after I broke the news)

So, along with one of the top SQ42 producers, Director of graphics engineering, the CFO, and several other top people, are GONE

This issue with Ali B is the first time we've seen someone revert their employment status like this. usually they don't even update it

Why people who no longer work for a company are scared to say that they don't. source: "payout bonuses won't be paid"

It's a double-edged sword. you either risk being attacked by Shitizens for exiting the project or risk your rep for saying you worked on it

Wouldn't we expect 5% or so per year employee churn to be normal ?

The level of people leaving and their positions is not  normal for what ought to be a career highlight on which careers are built.

Narrenbart

« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Star Citizen Scam Hall meeting is online. It's pre-taped cuz you know, croberts will NEVER face a live audience

Go ahead, tell me that doesn't look like a bunch of stoned college dropouts theory-crafting about a class they're totally failing

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ol7zy/star_citizen_subscribers_town_hall_persistent/dck69ri/

I had low expectations, but that was just awful. Half of the questions were on things we already had clear answers to, and the other half were plain stupid. I think the only new information was a tiny bit of insight into some of the environmental hazards we may run into.
I don't know how many of you saw it, but there were some really good questions on the forum thread, and all them got ignored. I was having trouble justifying my subscription after all of the recent changes to community content, and I think this was the final nail in the coffin.

Geeeez what is happening with CRs chin is he turning into ...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:52 AM »
ScruffPuff wrote this over on SA, and I had to nab it.

For fuck sake CIG. You're 4 years into development and you have nothing to show. A 30 minute video of 4 middle-aged nerds sat in director's chairs talking about vague ideas of 'this might happen' or 'we're thinking it could be like...' or 'maybe it works like...'.

You've blown through ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS!!! Stop fucking talking. Go and show me these systems, show me the work in progress, show me the proof of concept, hell show me the fucking design documents.

You're promising to make the most ambitious and complex game ever created and you're still talking about concepts for basic functionality like a fucking logoff timer... or fuel rods for ships... after 4 fucking years!

Do you know what I thought of when I was watching that? Those 'Relay' nerds or whatever they're called. Tell me, what is the difference between Crobbler and Tony Z sitting there talking you through their ~~DREAMS~~ and Dolvak or bowtie dude talking you through his? Neither are gonna fucking happen! It's pie-in-the-sky, 'imagine how cool in would be' bullshit which they ask you to pledge hundreds of dollars to prove that you believe.

Don't give them any money. If you've ever given them any money apply for a refund to get it back. This is my Star Citizen meltdown and you can have it for free.

Fuck Chris Roberts.

And this right here is why this game will never come out. Derek maintains the viewpoint (or did in his July Blog™) that it's a technical impossibility, and that may be true. Others maintain that the scummy business practices are to blame, others point to just how awful a job they've done so far as the necessary evidence against its completion. All valid points. But ultimately, even in a parallel universe where all other problems are solved, Star Citizen was never possible with Chris Roberts heading it. The man has no idea whatsoever how to make a game - he just thinks of "cool shit" like some 10-year old kid theorycrafting on a playground, with no idea how or if it would work in a game. Wing Commander was released because the tech of the time forcibly constrained him into a little box. The box is gone, and the idiot is free. He's taken over $100 million dollars of other people's money, opened several studios and employed hundreds of workers, and he has no idea what to tell them all to do. He has no idea what they're all supposed to be building, how it's supposed to work, and how any of it fits together. Meanwhile money is getting spent - every paycheck, every rent check, every space door - money gone - with nothing to show for it. Still no game, still no usable code, still no functioning tech demo, still no design, still no plan. Just the sweet smell of burning cash.

We're in 2017, a little more than 2 weeks in, and nothing's working. But it's time to talk about what "might be cool if." In 2 more weeks, nothing will be done. In 2 months - still nothing. At some point this year there will be a 30GB "patch" labelled "3.0" and it will be the same broken shit with a tacked-on vestigial feature like "Atmosphere 2.0" where they found a way to decouple the airlock <USE> prompt from your spacesuit and actually track whether or not the zone you're in has air in it (admittedly a very tricky problem that was somehow solved in 2001 by the Everquest guys, and probably earlier than that).

They can't build a basic space station without you clipping through the walls, but they're gonna have fleet battles with intelligent NPC AIs everywhere. They can't get the flight model working, but they're going to have procedural hand-crafted planets so big you can find things the developers didn't intend and have "emergent gameplay". They can't code a patcher, but they're going to have a system where you can mine asteroids and make custom additives for your fuel that will have an effect on the game and usher in a new supply/demand economy based on the new fuel tech that you've discovered yourself but kept secret from rival corporations.

You can't even hide in a fucking crate yet.

But all this is going to happen. Chris saw the Matrix and thought it was a documentary, so now all he has to do is make the same exact thing but have 100 star systems in it instead of just one measly planet. This is a totally reasonable and achievable goal, certainly for a man whose highest life achievements are getting the boot from Microsoft, getting blacklisted from Hollywood, and fucking a witch. Put this fucker in charge - he's got this. He just needs a little more money to complete the refactoring; the pipelines are looking good, and subsumption is a go. Once he's done rebuilding other people's long-optimized technology to not work right, he's just one more engine switch away from things really taking off. Partnerships with Amazon are removing the blockers, and manchildren everywhere who have inexplicable reproduced are using their kids' college funds to prop this project up when they're not busy building Constellation replicas in their basements.

I hope Windows 24 can run a DOS launcher.

BigM

« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2017, 08:21:34 AM »
Have to give ScruffPuff credit, he wrote a great post that hits on all major points. He went a little far with "getting the boot from Microsoft, getting blacklisted from Hollywood, and fucking a witch" but really I understand why he said it. Backers are starting to see the light and understand one thing they hate to admit, Smart was right!

Be interesting to watch the next move by Roberts and Sandi! Clearly, they must be a little worried they could end up in prison for the fraud they been throwing at these backers. Looks like we are in the home stretch and something will end up going BOOM ver soon.

Darklegend1

« Reply #314 on: January 18, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
are they giving out refunds now?? i have only 60$ tied but was ok with it as i thought i would get something eventually but now i think its a waste of even 60$...lolwill get escape from tarkov instead. :laugh:

oops sorry. hit "modify" instead of "quote"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:59:55 PM by dsmart »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk