Author Topic: Star Citizen Breaking News  (Read 286218 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen Breaking News
« on: October 11, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »
BREAKING! Confirmed. NO REFUNDS policy now in place for Star Citizen. Not sure when it will be across the board. We knew this was coming.

Some of these are now up on refunds Reddit, along with a helpful thread on legal recourse.

So far nobody knows what is going on. My one credible source was the one who told me that he has to check around because they (devs) have no clue wtf management is even doing from one minute to the next. They he came back about an hour go and basically said that's the policy going forward.

He did say that the person who notified him, said that she was told that it was always the policy, but that they were issuing refunds on a case by case basis all this time and not something they were required to do.

What's puzzling is that this whole "refund dump" on Reddit happened within the span of 48 hrs following not only my latest article, but also my Tweet reminding people that refunds were going away. I would hate to think that CIG are still reacting to what I'm saying.

Fact is, they apparently are clearing their refund backlog and someone probably hit the "bulk" check mark and hit the send button on "Fuck you, no moah refunds". Of course not everyone is going to run off to Reddit.

The wording of some of those CS emails though, is highly suspect as well, which is why I am stil l not entirely sure that all of them are real. But CIG hires largely incompetent people, so there's that.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:25:27 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

Re: Star Citizen - Breaking News
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:29:55 AM »

BREAKING! Confirmed. NO REFUNDS policy now in place for Star Citizen. Not sure when it will be across the board. We knew this was coming.

Well, you called it. I repeat: you called it. There's no denying that, and even some of the Shitizens over there seem to admit, teeth clenched, that you were right on this one occasion, by pure chance, and that you're to blame for it of course ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:38:11 AM »
I think what's going on is that they are setting the "F@ck you! No Refund!" stage now, going into CC2017 because that's probably when they had planned to drop the shit-fest that is 3.0 into the PTU. And they know what's going to happen.

If they don't release it during CC2017, they will probably hang on to it until last minute in Dec after the anniversary sale (like they did with 2.6 last year). Given the condition of 3.0, they are completely and utterly fucked because:

1) If they DON'T release 3.0 around the CC2017 or anniversary period, they look bad.

2) If they DO release 3.0 around the CC2017 or anniversary period, they look worse because, truly, 3.0 is shit and I don't see how they are going to fix it in the next two months for the anniversary, let alone in the next two weeks for CC2017.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:45:25 PM »
They could have done all this from 2013: release one buggy pre-alpha after the next, keep the backers busy and the refunds low. Switch game engines mid-development (like 2015) or whatever. Add content each quarter, even if it's broken.

They would have had at least some kind of awful, broken game with bad art direction by now.

Instead they decided in 2016 to waste time on smoke & mirrors for GamesCom and go with nothing but propaganda on YouTube for 18 months in a failed attempt to polish some early access techdemo.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:22:13 PM »

StanTheMan

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »
$10K+ backer. He's in Canada. CIG sends him a check he can't cash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/760co4/refunded_by_cheque_that_cant_be_cashed/

These people have had plenty of time to wake up and smell the coffee.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »

SQ42 isn't coming in 2017.

Yeah, I totally called this back in May

SQUADRON 42 DELAYED TO 2018

As I reported on Twitter earlier today, several sources, as they have done twice before in 2015 and 2016, have once again informed me that SQ42 is now a 2018 game. In fact, the current internal schedule shows it stretching all the way to mid-2018, and possibly beyond. The past two times that I had reported this, some people didn’t believe it. And CIG kept denying it. This Sept 2016 denial was my favorite. Both 2015 and 2016 came and went. Right up to the blatant lies that CIG told during the events (GamesCom and CitizenCon) of Q4/2016. I wrote extensively about that in my Shattered Dreams blog from Oct 2016.

Sources also tell me that they’re frantically trying to either get a preview or trailer out before the end of the year. So yeah, probably a repeat of Q4/2016 all over again.

Oh, and they have definitely chopped up the SQ42 game. I reported on this back in 2016 as well, but they have apparently stuck to the goal of releasing the once full game, into bits and pieces in order to “keep things going and raising money”. It makes perfect sense if you ask me. They know that the minute they release any “final” version of any portion of this train-wreck project, that’s it’s all over. So why not maintain the bait and switch Status Quo by splitting a full game into parts, then sell them separately? If you recall, they did that back in 2016 when they split SQ42 from Star Citizen, in order to sell it separately. Except this time, they’re going to split SQ42 even further. Which, now that I think about it, explains why you can buy that game for $15 (instead of $45) if you buy it as a bundle ($45 + $15) with Star Citizen. My God man! We’re doing it all wrong.

This is the full newsletter.

It's hilarious that they announced this two months ahead of time. It's almost as if they are worried about money, so using the promise of something, as a confidence trick to get backers to keep giving them money.

They also removed the date from the SQ42 page.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:46:58 AM by dsmart »

NIDTechnology

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 01:29:00 AM »
There is a thread on KIA about this rising to prominence. Threads there can make the front page occasionally.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/76gkts/ethics_unconfirmed_star_citizen_devs_may_have/

Mods have labeled it unverified, more confirmation needed. Need some more users burned by RSI on board.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 05:41:49 AM »
Yeah, I saw that yesterday. I don't know what verification is needed. I guess they are waiting for official lies from CIG.  :smugjones:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 05:53:45 AM »
Meanwhile over on /r/games, as of this writing, this post had almost 500 upvotes.

"As I've pointed out before, back in January 2015, Roberts delivered a presentation in which he claimed that not only would the first episode of Squadron 42 be released by Fall 2015, but the full commercial release - meaning SQ42 and the persistent universe / MMO - would happen by the end of 2016. He made this claim at 1:32:06 in this video.

At the time of this presentation, the PU wasn't yet in the alpha stage. He seemed to think that his team could get through all of alpha, get through all of beta, and optimize enough for a decent MMO launch in 2 years, all while concurrently working on a single-player game. By saying this, he demonstrated that he either didn't know what he was talking about, or he was being dishonest. It was probably a combination of the two.

Now, almost 3 years after that presentation, backers still haven't seen a mission demo of SQ42, and the MMO is in alpha with, I'm guessing, another 1-2 years of alpha ahead of them. At this rate, I would be impressed if the first episode of SQ42 gets released by 2020, and the MMO gets released by 2023."

Ghostmaker

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »
It appears adults are running things in /r/games, as nobody's getting shouted down for the dissent.

Wonder if they're in shock or mourning over in the SC reddit?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 04:59:08 AM »
It appears adults are running things in /r/games, as nobody's getting shouted down for the dissent.

Wonder if they're in shock or mourning over in the SC reddit?

/r/games has always been that way. Which is why Shitizens dare not start their shit in there.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 06:05:07 AM »
This is getting serious now, apparently.

Well, it's not like we didn't try to warn them.

Motto

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 07:01:06 AM »
Aha, they are now upgrading to the "we have actually spent your money on developing the game, so there is no legal ground to ask for your money back" approach. Too bad EU laws don't go for that  :D

nightfire

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
I have no compassion for them... not anymore. We've been hinting at this, the tipping point, the mechanics of the Ponzi scheme for months now, here and "over there". Everyone with half a brain could see the writing on the wall. Tough luck for those who are now left holding the bag.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk