Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 294756 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2018, 05:51:57 AM »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

:emot-lol: I like how they've started removing things now. Also, that performance optimization is going to automagically go from 15% to 100% between now and Nov 20th.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9tnijj/330_to_360_progress_watch_update_20181102/

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:00:50 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »
Oh, Chris is sooooo fucked  :grin:

3.3.5 with OCS that doesn't live up to expectations will kill him. Removing OCS because it doesn't work and releasing 3.4 will do the same. Whatever CIG releases next, it will be a not-performing bug-ridden feast of crashes. The only thing CIG is polishing are JPGs.

I wonder how long it will take before even the dumbest of whales realise that there never ever will be a game. Even Sunk Cost Fallacy has to have a breaking point, right?

N0mad

« Reply #242 on: November 03, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »
If they do release Hurston and Lorville before Christmas then fair play to them and they deserve to have another year's chance to keep development going.

That said: no way they'll manage to release it - and they're going to have to come up with a pretty good excuse to prevent a full blown Whale /Reddit revolt over their broken promises.

I suspect that all the dev time at the moment is being spent on the next flashy vertical slice of SQ42 for the holiday stream.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #243 on: November 03, 2018, 07:11:35 AM »
It's looking a lot like they are intending on releasing 3.3 to live; regardless of the crapfest that it is right now because of OCS.

Unless they can fix ALL the things they have now broken, releasing 3.3.5 - in any form - is the final nail in the coffin. We can forget about 3.4 for now because it's a foregone conclusion that it's not happening.

Depending on how far gone it is, they may not have a choice but to either release 3.3 /w OCS, or just keep kicking that can down the road until 2019. It's not something they can turn off and on without major ramifications.

They have now delayed 3.3. live to Nov 20. That's two weeks away.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
If they do release Hurston and Lorville before Christmas then fair play to them and they deserve to have another year's chance to keep development going.

That said: no way they'll manage to release it - and they're going to have to come up with a pretty good excuse to prevent a full blown Whale /Reddit revolt over their broken promises.

I suspect that all the dev time at the moment is being spent on the next flashy vertical slice of SQ42 for the holiday stream.

Christ, when is 3.4 supposed to drop?

Motto

« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
Q4 2018 :-)

The end of CIG / Star Citizen is upon us  :cool:

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2018, 09:38:41 AM »
Q4 2018 :-)

The end of CIG / Star Citizen is upon us  :cool:

I think you are not considering

A) the ability of the backers to rationalize delays.

B) the ability of a charlatan like croberts to keep the show on the road.

N0mad

« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »
A) the ability of the backers to rationalize delays.
B) the ability of a charlatan like croberts to keep the show on the road.

Sure, but for either of those to work they HAVE to release 3.3.5 at least. Hurston & Lorville are the big content drops that backers have been waiting for and CIG have been teasing it for so long that any delay will cause a riot.

Motto

« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »
There are other things cooking then just that  :wink:

StanTheMan

« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
Sure, but for either of those to work they HAVE to release 3.3.5 at least. Hurston & Lorville are the big content drops that backers have been waiting for and CIG have been teasing it for so long that any delay will cause a riot.

N0mad

« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »

Bubba

« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »
I would just point out that the 3.x release schedule is not determined by features, but by time. So 3.1 dropped before March 31, 2018, 3.2 before June 30, and 3.3 by Sept. 30 #- Okay, mid Oct., just to give CitCon something to tickle. But better promise 3.3.5 by mid November.
Whatever happens, 3.4 releases at the end of the year.

If these guys are so behind that they can't even make release dates that are not dependent on any content being released, then they are truly screwed.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2018, 06:51:30 AM »
Christ, when is 3.4 supposed to drop?

Really? Don't you see the dates in the image above?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #253 on: November 04, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »
I would just point out that the 3.x release schedule is not determined by features, but by time. So 3.1 dropped before March 31, 2018, 3.2 before June 30, and 3.3 by Sept. 30 #- Okay, mid Oct., just to give CitCon something to tickle. But better promise 3.3.5 by mid November.
Whatever happens, 3.4 releases at the end of the year.

If these guys are so behind that they can't even make release dates that are not dependent on any content being released, then they are truly screwed.

I mean, who seriously thought that the quarterly major release schedules would last? And that's not even how a managed software dev works. You release as you go along and things are ready. They put themselves in this boat when they kept going for long stretches without major updates, and so whales were concerned, weren't spending etc. Next thing you know, they change the schedule THREE times within a span of 14 months. I remember back when there wasn't even a schedule until after I engaged in legal action over it back in Oct 2015.

Like 3.0 which wasn't ready but they released it on Dec 23, 2017, it's obvious that 3.3 wasn't ready either. They prematurely released it to Evocati (useless gang of idiots who don't test or report anything), then to PTU in order to get whales spending. Plus just like 3.0, it too had a new ship with new shiny things for the compulsive whales in Sunk Cost Fallacy, to buy. If you look at the change log for the over a dozen releases since the first one during CitizenCon, it's clear to see.

The thing is that with 3.3 now in the PTU, the interested parties already have access to all the shiny broken things; and that novelty has worn off. So between now and the holiday break, they have to come up with something else. I just don't see how they are going to release 3.3 to live on Nov 20, then 3.3.5 for Dec.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »
So between now and the holiday break, they have to come up with something else. I just don't see how they are going to release 3.3 to live on Nov 20, then 3.3.5 for Dec.
[/quote] 
Oh I can easily picture that for the 100th time Robbers is running around shouting and screaming at his staff pissing them off all the while taking drugs to make him sleep. Like Hitler in his bunker. It would be fitting that someone redoes another cut of that film with Robbers franticly barking out orders.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk