Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 289473 times)

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #600 on: July 29, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »
Off on a tangent here. Also: I'm not making allegations here, I'm just floating ideas.

My only knowledge of money laundering comes from Breaking Bad. I also realise that there was a recent post (can't find it though) which explained how a criminal could launder money by having ships gifted to them and reselling them - the problem with this method is that it's very hard to launder in bulk. I'm thinking bigger.

Since a software company is dealing in sales of digital products you can't launder money as they did with the car wash in Breaking Bad (add dirty cash to the till and make up receipts). So this would be a different sort of operation.

Suppose you are a foreign 'businessman' who wants to move to LA and live the high life. The problem you have is that your money might be in the bank in your home country, but moving it internationally is going to raise eyebrows and may not even be permitted (it may come from a sanctioned company, or the Bank may itself be sanctioned in the US). The solution would be to get friendly with the bosses at a software company with high value digital products and persuade them to employ you, at an exorbitant salary. You wouldn't be expected to do any work, so the ordinary employees wouldn't know about any of this. In return you get your people back in your mother country to buy 'digital products' with your money, lots of them. A chunk of the proceeds would be kept by the company involved but you, the 'businessman', would be able to demonstrate a legitimate source of income in the US.

As I said. Just an idea, I'm certainly not alleging any wrongdoing by CIG or anyone else.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:08:52 AM by N0mad »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #601 on: July 29, 2020, 01:30:30 PM »
I have a thread on how it can be done

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1280263196583100418
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

« Reply #602 on: July 29, 2020, 01:51:31 PM »
I have a thread on how it can be done

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1280263196583100418

Thanks, that was the recent post I was referring to. My problem is that it's very hard to scale any money laundering operation done this way, unless the grey market is really busy and can support transactions worth tens of millions per year.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #603 on: July 30, 2020, 08:01:26 AM »
Thanks, that was the recent post I was referring to. My problem is that it's very hard to scale any money laundering operation done this way, unless the grey market is really busy and can support transactions worth tens of millions per year.

Okay.. but you got more or less the same scaling problem with your idea, when it comes to anyone looking into the actual CIG financials at any given time.
A 10 million USD cheque for a someone who isn't a big wig (and therefore quite a public figure within a company - something your average laundering guy wouldn't exactly want), would raise a lot of questions for your supposedly normal wage slave - which would lead into further investigations e.g. when CIG fails.

Also the real question would be who and why.
I mean it's possible but for dozens of people there exist more proven channels to transport money and evade taxation and control. I mean over here in europe you got quite a few people hiking cross border with a bit of money - always laughed hearing people discussing how far some towns in switzerland are from the borders. And that's not even touching on how many well-known institutions had all those "individual bad apples" helping big money to get through everything. Fun fact for that - a somewhat recent control found that quite a large proportion of realtors weren't reporting when people bought properties with cash sums of up above 100k € in certain countries, even though they should report such.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #604 on: August 05, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »
So 3.10 went live and it's buggy as hell. Naturally Citizens are up in arms.

Oh, there's a gameplay movie for it.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

wiser3754

« Reply #605 on: August 05, 2020, 04:36:01 PM »

Let me 1up that with this OP

krylite

« Reply #606 on: August 06, 2020, 01:15:48 AM »

Lol. The trailer emphasized atmospheric dogfighting of ships that fly like fighter jets now. Obvious reaction to the Elite Dangerous: Odyssey trailer of those cobras flying overhead and in on a planetoid with atmosphere. Even the yt comments mention CR and co are still apparently in hiding. Maybe they are truly worried the end is coming soon with ED:O release with walking and flying on atmospherics upon millions of planets in ED's galatic model. And SC further realized as the walking techdemo single cry-levels purposed as perpetual backer ads that it is.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #607 on: August 06, 2020, 01:18:09 AM »

Comments are quite negativ currently.
Often pointing out how much in it doesn't look smooth.

@Wiser
Is that guy for real?

He starts walking to hide bad graphics after his little 'shitshow' train ride. As he also flys slowly to try those..
Often he talks about how great this all feels (Judging from a comment doesn't realize that the FOV slider changed and that's why it feels different), while droning how many things he had to do twice, because the first time everything broke down O_O .
And on his whole "looks great":
Mentions great graphics, while the part of the map doesn't render for 1-2 frames when he leaves the tunnel, and begins looking at NPCs standing on a chair. While he says that he's impressed at the eleveator a fucking elevator door comes flying from behind him, the elevator GUI doesn't work, you get a shadow crossing the screen when the elevator start moving, the physics interaction of player and elevator bug out for a few cycles, so he stutters down... when he leaves the Elevator the animation of the guard on the left bugs out. While nearing the ship a shadow crosses over the whole ship - while at no time when he's looking up there's any indication of what could and should have thrown said shadow. "It doesn't look that good in 3.9" - while the LOD at that moment visually switch. "The art team has been hard at work" - LOD switch. Speaking about the bugs he run into (ignoring the ones he named before) -> left hand coloumn of airlock doors is missing (textures?), so he can look through to the other side. Running around in the inside just before "wanting to throw my stuff in" top left corner -> light blinks in and out. Enters the room lighting again jumps around.
Regarding the auto pilot Bugginess, it simply looks as if the auto-pilot wants that the nose of the whole thing points into the opposite direction. He took a right turn, while the auto pilot seemingly wanted a left turn (so parking it in the same direction as it seemingly gets spawned in).

I mean, nice if it's better than 3.9. ... but that's a mess.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:56:14 AM by DemonInvestor »

wiser3754

« Reply #608 on: August 12, 2020, 04:39:40 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/i8hy2y/sc_servers_ddosed_and_auec_set_back_to_0_for/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Apparently, large groups of players can now crash the servers and cause database wipes via an exploit. This example reset every player's AUEC account to 0.

How's that I cache and seever meshing tech coming along CIG? End of the yeat? Jesus fucking Chris(t) Roberts.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #609 on: August 13, 2020, 05:02:54 AM »
Clearly backers don't know anything about server development  :rolleyes:

N0mad

« Reply #610 on: August 13, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »

So it looks like the only things CIG are really working hard on are new ships to sell.

Plus, I like how they mention Squadron 42 in their video updates now, as though that will be enough to fool people that it's still being developed.

wiser3754

« Reply #611 on: August 13, 2020, 07:21:28 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/i99oh5/friedrich_bode_star_citizens_principal_level/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

A new position has opened for principal level designer at CIG as this lead has just left. Ha! Good luck CIG!

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #612 on: August 14, 2020, 03:10:57 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/i99oh5/friedrich_bode_star_citizens_principal_level/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

A new position has opened for principal level designer at CIG as this lead has just left. Ha! Good luck CIG!

Working on vapourware for so long must be soul destroying, however good the pay is.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #613 on: August 19, 2020, 04:52:24 AM »
Yay! It's almost finished! Getting ready to release!

wiser3754

« Reply #614 on: August 19, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
Dev time must've went into developing the roadmap to the roadmap for this shitshow to happen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk