Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 295544 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
Well, finally we know why it's taking CIG so long to produce anything. They're using the natural approach

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:39:09 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen 3.x Progress Watch
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2018, 03:25:40 PM »
Well, it's official (I didn't even believe it at first).

The minor performance boost in the Star Citizen 3.2 patch is not some miracle juice. It's better!

CIG disabled most of the NPC units in the game.

Not even joking.

ps: They're totally making in MMO though
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2018, 06:07:37 PM »
Well, it's official (I didn't even believe it at first).

The minor performance boost in the Star Citizen 3.2 patch is not some miracle juice. It's better!

CIG disabled most of the NPC units in the game.

Not even joking.

ps: They're totally making in MMO though

Many sc backers are arguing over this and seems to be almost split in half. I have read over and over they npcs's are gone but others say I just logged in and I see tons. So I do not know what to make of it.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2018, 07:14:38 AM »
Many sc backers are arguing over this and seems to be almost split in half. I have read over and over they npcs's are gone but others say I just logged in and I see tons. So I do not know what to make of it.

I checked it out before I wrote about it. AFAICT, that's what they did. They didn't remove them completely though.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2018, 07:55:02 AM »
Lol funny so many backers on reddit are contesting or trying to hide this.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »
Lol funny so many backers on reddit are contesting or trying to hide this.

Yeah, it's pathetic - and sad.

GaryII

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »
 No surprise that after disabling some NPCs in 3.2 performance is increased, because CPU load on those 2 cores that SC uses 100 % all the time now are bit less..   

Here WTFSAURUS discovers that SC does not utilize multicore CPU like at all:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/280724151?t=02h21m39s

Basically Lumberyard or whatever engine they are using have only two main threads that do all the hard work like Cryengine does...     
With such outdated engine they can't build even single player "high fidelity" SQ4s game..

Big ships will tank FPS due CPU load not even network if they fly in PU...

in the same stream - other news...

he is talking to leave steaming due lack of support/interest in his SC streams...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/280724151?t=33m45s

So v3.2 is all good :D

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:24:48 AM by GaryII »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2018, 04:22:28 AM »
Yeah, it's all gone to shit.

You can improve performance in ANY game, but just taking stuff out. What's hilarious is that they will have to restore what they took out. Plus, the game still has a LOT of content that's NYI. I can't wait to see how they get around that.

When you take out content to improve performance, it's different from taking out features. It's like you enter the game one day, and Miles is standing instead of sitting, because they took out his chair and table for performance reasons. God, I can't even stop laughing.

Oh, and... https://gfycat.com/DisfiguredRewardingCurassow

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2018, 04:27:29 AM »

jwh1701

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2018, 07:12:34 AM »
Well NPCs weren't the only things they reduced...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8w22k9/daymar_downgraded_in_32/

CIG is really helping my trolling with these new performance enhancing changes.

Greggy_D

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »
No surprise that after disabling some NPCs in 3.2 performance is increased, because CPU load on those 2 cores that SC uses 100 % all the time now are bit less..   

Here WTFSAURUS discovers that SC does not utilize multicore CPU like at all:

Damn, and I just bought a 32 core Threadripper to run SC in all of its fidelity.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2018, 05:46:31 AM »
As a gamer, usually even with performance settings, devs usually do their optimizations, then leave in settings for those with high end machines to mess with.

What seems to have happened in 3.2 is that instead of exposing those settings and making them the default, CIG has made them at engine level as the default. This means that no matter what you change in the config file, it can't override what they did at engine level.

I saw a post on another forum where someone was comparing the default config settings in 3.1 to those in 3.2; and there were no meaningful changes there. If CIG had made the changes to the engine settings, they would be in the config file and used as defaults. Typically things like LOD stages aren't easily exposed in config files. So that, as well as the removal of some NPC units, can't be controlled in config files.

Even though it's in alpha, 7 yrs into development, that they are taking these steps now - when they don't even have 1/100th of the game's world built - is a huge Red flag that they've already hit a bottleneck they can't squeeze through with meaningful results. I am going to say it again, those who think that network bind culling and object containing streaming are going to make that much of a difference, don't have a clue.

For all intent and purposes, at this stage, Star Citizen is barely a proof of concept; and is nowhere near being a vertical slice of the game they promised. This is why, aside from their ability to build the game promised, I have seen no reason to believe that they will ever get an MMO out of this shit-show.

UPDATE: https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8x1f7n/usercfg_modifications_to_restore_314s_graphical/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:14:59 AM by dsmart »

BigM

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2018, 07:40:02 AM »
Over on MMORPG, they will say this was never meant to be an MMO. Doesn't matter that Roberts has repeatedly said it was going to be an MMO. I hope once this comes crashing down we find out exactly who the posters are at MMORPG.

Oh, they are again comparing SC to games that were developed by gaming companies. They can't have it both ways, under the control of gaming companies or free to develop with crowdfunding.

ROFL

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »
Over on MMORPG, they will say this was never meant to be an MMO. Doesn't matter that Roberts has repeatedly said it was going to be an MMO. I hope once this comes crashing down we find out exactly who the posters are at MMORPG.

Oh, they are again comparing SC to games that were developed by gaming companies. They can't have it both ways, under the control of gaming companies or free to develop with crowdfunding.

ROFL

He said it was going to be better than an MMO.

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2018, 09:43:30 AM »
The Xbox 360 has three fast CPU cores with an underpowered GPU. CryEngine 3 was made and optimized for this console. Using a dozen threads would make it slower on its primary target platform.

Modern games scale to up to 8 threads and offload everything to the powerful GPU, because guess what: That's what the successor of the 360 needs, which has been on the market since 2013.

Chris Roberts is stuck with an outdated engine for an ancient game console to save PC gaming. LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk