Author Topic: Star Citizen Lies, Ramblings, Jpegs, and Bullshit  (Read 187774 times)

StanTheMan

Re: Star Citizen - Lies, Ramblings, Jpegs, and Bullshit
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2019, 11:15:57 AM »
Someone has gone to a great effort here to edit out all of CR's bullshit, and just leave his core message.

TROLLOLOL

:laugh:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2019, 06:05:20 AM »
Someone has gone to a great effort here to edit out all of CR's bullshit, and just leave his core message.

TROLLOLOL

Funny you should mention that; I noticed the edits.

ps: Also looks like we're back to doxing kids again :emot-lol:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Lord_Savage

« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2019, 01:08:23 AM »
And whose money went to develop it <sic> Line of Defense? Did backers prepay 200 million dollars and sit on their hands with little to show for it? Sorry. It's not the same, not even close.

If Robbers spent his own money, or a publishers there would be no issue.

Well... uuhhh.... "Line of Defense Backers" with their 'Early Access' fee(s). DS hasnt spent 100% of his own money or a publisher's to produce his game. I do respect the fact the issue of DS spending his own resources to develop his project. However,  I have to review DS's 'Line of Defense' development blog to see how much the $99 "Early Access" campaign funded/raised for his project and how many pledged as Star Citizen displays on its website. I'm sure DS has released this info in the spirit of transparency and fairness to the number of LoD Backers who paid the $99.

Fast forwarding from mid-2012 to June 2014:

Line of Defense developer Derek Smart defends $99 Early Access fee

Line of Defense will carry a $99 price tag into Early Access, a big chunk of change for any game, much less one that isn't finished. The price includes the game, the top-tier Tactical Advancement Level IV kit (which will normally sell for $70 on its own), the choice of four Early Access-exclusive Commander Perks and a free copy of Line of Defense Tactics.

Lord_Savage

« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2019, 01:41:09 AM »
The really funny part of it is that if you followed my dev history, or even that of LoD, you would know that my games aren't delayed for lack of technical expertise. More often than not, it's because of lack of resources (team + money = not cheap) because I fund ALL my games and use people from around the world, which is challenging all by itself.

Delays are a factor of any process, not just game development. However, in the case of Star Citizen, the delays were self-inflicted due to bad management, bad planning, and wanton incompetence by the people in charge. To wit, if they had stuck with the original pitch, there would've been a game out by 2015. Instead, as we now know, they've been bleeding money because it came with no strings and croberts felt that he could basically do what he wanted. We have seen the results.

Fair enough, PC game development is a MASSIVE undertaking compared to console development but I think with CIG's new 'Road Map' release for SQ 42 - EP 1 and 'quarterly releases' they are back on track and focused. If Squadron 42 is delayed yet ANOTHER 2 years come December 2020, I will post back here and say I was wrong. If CIG can not release SQ 42- Episode 1 by 2nd Half 2021 (due to polishing delays), then I will throw in the white flag.

The new infusion of $46 million of venture capital will take a lot of pressure from funding a marketing campaign for SQ 42 and less pressure on 'concept ship/vehicle releases.' Clive Calder will be a game-changer now that he is on the Board of Directors and keeping them focused and seeing he gets a return on his investment. He only has to wait 2 years for the scheduled release of SQ 42 - EP 1.

Backers are really into the latest Alpha releases, Ive never seen crowdfunding at this level since I've been tracking it going back to 2014. Crowd funding $100,000+ a/day without any special ship sales and/or events is pretty impressive:

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2019, 02:41:45 AM »
Fair enough, PC game development is a MASSIVE undertaking compared to console development but I think with CIG's new 'Road Map' release for SQ 42 - EP 1 and 'quarterly releases' they are back on track and focused. If Squadron 42 is delayed yet ANOTHER 2 years come December 2020, I will post back here and say I was wrong. If CIG can not release SQ 42- Episode 1 by 2nd Half 2021 (due to polishing delays), then I will throw in the white flag.

The new infusion of $46 million of venture capital will take a lot of pressure from funding a marketing campaign for SQ 42 and less pressure on 'concept ship/vehicle releases.' Clive Calder will be a game-changer now that he is on the Board of Directors and keeping them focused and seeing he gets a return on his investment. He only has to wait 2 years for the scheduled release of SQ 42 - EP 1.

Backers are really into the latest Alpha releases, Ive never seen crowdfunding at this level since I've been tracking it going back to 2014. Crowd funding $100,000+ a/day without any special ship sales and/or events is pretty impressive:

The danger now is that Squander 42 is up against a hard deadline, with a leader who seems to lack focus, and the need for this game to sell millions of copies to avoid the project dying. It needs to be a massive hit, and personally I don't believe it will be.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2019, 06:15:10 AM »
Well... uuhhh.... "Line of Defense Backers" with their 'Early Access' fee(s). DS hasnt spent 100% of his own money or a publisher's to produce his game. I do respect the fact the issue of DS spending his own resources to develop his project. However,  I have to review DS's 'Line of Defense' development blog to see how much the $99 "Early Access" campaign funded/raised for his project and how many pledged as Star Citizen displays on its website. I'm sure DS has released this info in the spirit of transparency and fairness to the number of LoD Backers who paid the $99.

Fast forwarding from mid-2012 to June 2014:

Line of Defense developer Derek Smart defends $99 Early Access fee

Line of Defense will carry a $99 price tag into Early Access, a big chunk of change for any game, much less one that isn't finished. The price includes the game, the top-tier Tactical Advancement Level IV kit (which will normally sell for $70 on its own), the choice of four Early Access-exclusive Commander Perks and a free copy of Line of Defense Tactics.

LoD isn't crowd-funded. It went into development back in late 2010, and didn't appear on early access (during early beta) until Sept 2014. It's all there in the changelog. There's no requirement to make early access sales public; aside from being in violation of the Steam guidelines, nobody does that. Why would I? And what's transparency and fairness got to do with it when it's neither a promise to deliver anything? Aside from the fact that anyone who wanted a refund, got it directly from Steam within its guidelines.

Anyone who knows me, and knows the history of my games, knows that if I had crowd-funded the game, and raised even $20M, that I would have shipped a game by now. Just like I have done all these decades. I'm an indie, and not dishonest. So I don't have the luxury of running scams. I have to make do with what resources I have in order to build the games that I want to.

You're not paying for a crowd-funded game with a delivery promise. You're paying to see how a game is made, whether or not it succeeds. The Steam early access guidelines are pretty clear on this.

Is this the same as pre-purchasing a game?

No. Early Access is a full purchase of a playable game. By purchasing, you gain immediate access to download and play the game in its current form and as it evolves. You keep access to the game, even if the game later moves from Early Access into fully released.

When will these games release?

Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

Pricing of individual games may change over time

Some developers will start by offering a discount for buying early while others will charge a premium, depending on their goals and the level of commitment and feedback they desire from Early Access customers.

Devs don't tend go to early access to get their game funded. That's not what it's for. Those who do, are the ones that fail when they can't raise enough interest and money to complete the project. I never start a project without having the money to complete it.

EA is primarily to drum up interest, to attract those who would want to play and support the game through development, and in some cases, to get engagement and tech metrics which determine various aspects of the development. It's why I did it in 2014, got the metrics and interest that I needed, then moved it from open early access back to CBT shortly before the UE4 port started.

Also, the $99 was the highest tier that game with physical goods, and a free game. We had three of those early tiers for only a week in order to weed out all the flakes who would otherwise just jump in without any meaningful commitment to assist in the game's development. Then after we had the final four tiers ($29.99, $39.99, $49.99, $59.99).

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:20:55 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2019, 06:19:37 AM »

Positive backers are shills and the funding tracker is complete bullshit. Please don't tell me you actually believe all of that crap?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2019, 06:55:51 AM »
Fair enough, PC game development is a MASSIVE undertaking compared to console development but I think with CIG's new 'Road Map' release for SQ 42 - EP 1 and 'quarterly releases' they are back on track and focused.

What?!?! You can't be serious. First of all, these are all the releases that I keep track of. They had 4 releases this year, ALL of which were not only late, but also trimmed by removing and/or deferring things in order to make a release.

2018 Release Dates

3.4 12/21/2018 New Features, more Hurston/Lorville etc

3.3.5 11/21/2018 New Features, Hurston/Lorville etc

3.3 11/10/2018 New Features, Ships, OCS, NBC

3.2 06/30/2018 New Features, Ships, First pass at mining

3.1 03/31/2018 New Features, Ships

That's not called being on track.

Also how does a public roadmap for SQ42 guarantee anything? You know they've had an internal schedule since 2012, right? And HOW would you know they're on track, if all you see is an updated schedule with no build to play (like Star Citizen)? I mean, even the more devout backers were shocked that not a single one of the missions were even completed; despite all statements (aka LIES) to the contrary over the years. So yeah, they have $46M bail out money and a schedule, so it's totally all real now. :emot-lol:

If Squadron 42 is delayed yet ANOTHER 2 years come December 2020, I will post back here and say I was wrong. If CIG can not release SQ 42- Episode 1 by 2nd Half 2021 (due to polishing delays), then I will throw in the white flag.

You're already wrong because we've been saying this for YEARS now, and you guys kept arguing with us. Now the goal posts have moved again - by 18 (!) months (assuming they keep to that) - and you're all saying the same thing still "Yeah, totally this time for sure!" :emot-lol:

The new infusion of $46 million of venture capital will take a lot of pressure from funding a marketing campaign for SQ 42 and less pressure on 'concept ship/vehicle releases.

It's not for marketing. Only idiots and fools believe that.

Even so, how does that alleviate pressure from sales when it's their PRIMARY REVENUE SOURCE? What incentive do they have to stop, if they have backers still willing to buy? Holy Shit! Are you suggesting that they went out and got $46M for marketing, but yeah, they no longer need to focus on concept/ship sales but that money isn't for marketing though. So how are they going to fund the games when in fact they have been losing money this whole time WITH concept/ship sales? :emot-lol: Fucking hell, I can't even stop laughing.

Clive Calder will be a game-changer now that he is on the Board of Directors and keeping them focused and seeing he gets a return on his investment. He only has to wait 2 years for the scheduled release of SQ 42 - EP 1.

That's all nonsense.

He's not on the board and has nothing to do with the development of the game or the running of the company. That's why he hired someone else. And we don't know anything about their deal which would suggest that they have any sort of control over Chris, let alone the project.

Ive never seen crowdfunding at this level since I've been tracking it going back to 2014. Crowd funding $100,000+ a/day without any special ship sales and/or events is pretty impressive:

:emot-lol: Despite the fact that their OWN released financials have proven - without a shadow of doubt - that the funding chart is bs, you're still citing it? And in all that, they were still running on empty for years in a row. :emot-lol:

ps: Just gonna leave this here. Listen carefully.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:10:37 AM by dsmart »

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
Despite the fact that their OWN released financials have proven - without a shadow of doubt - that the funding chart is bs

Care to expand on that because...no, it doesn't.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
Care to expand on that because...no, it doesn't.

Sure, I will just quote an excerpt from my last blog

"The sad reality is that this financial brochure is in the vein of the same dubious info they regularly put out. Only enough detail to placate backers, and which contains enough to sow doubt and keep them guessing. I mean they had $14M left end of 2017; and most backers seem to ignore the fact that without things like cash basis, balance sheet, accounts payable, for all intent and purposes, they were probably insolvent. Even the $5M loan sitting on their UK books in 2017, would need to be deducted from that $14M. After that, take into account other loans (they have two in the UK btw), debt etc and it’s easy to see how all of a sudden $14M looks a lot like less than $0. Between 2012-2017 they raised $207.5M. Which btw is about $32M higher than the actual funding chart on their website which totaled $175.5M. Remember how I’ve always claimed that the funding chart was bs?"

2012 - YE 2017

Financial Brochure Total: $207.5M
Funding Chart Total: $175.5M

So they raised and blew through $32M more than was publicly disclosed on the website.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:37:33 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:06:39 AM by dsmart »

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:14 AM »
Sure, I will just quote an excerpt from my last blog

"The sad reality is that this financial brochure is in the vein of the same dubious info they regularly put out. Only enough detail to placate backers, and which contains enough to sow doubt and keep them guessing. I mean they had $14M left end of 2017; and most backers seem to ignore the fact that without things like cash basis, balance sheet, accounts payable, for all intent and purposes, they were probably insolvent. Even the $5M loan sitting on their UK books in 2017, would need to be deducted from that $14M. After that, take into account other loans (they have two in the UK btw), debt etc and it’s easy to see how all of a sudden $14M looks a lot like less than $0. Between 2012-2017 they raised $207.5M. Which btw is about $32M higher than the actual funding chart on their website which totaled $175.5M. Remember how I’ve always claimed that the funding chart was bs?"

2012 - YE 2017

Financial Brochure Total: $207.5M
Funding Chart Total: $175.5M

So they raised and blew through $32M more than was publicly disclosed on the website.

So when you've stated that the funding counter is bs designed to create false confidence in their financial position, could you elaborate on how under reporting how much funding they've received does that?

Resin

« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2019, 01:01:04 AM »
So when you've stated that the funding counter is bs designed to create false confidence in their financial position, could you elaborate on how under reporting how much funding they've received does that?

Because that’s crowd funding counter not total funding coonter? That’s quite far fetched angle wouldn’t you say?

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2019, 02:50:17 AM »
Because that’s crowd funding counter not total funding coonter? That’s quite far fetched angle wouldn’t you say?

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm trying to work out how Derek can seriously suggest that the counter is complete bullshit designed to inspire false confidence in their financial situation in one post and then in another, suggest it's a terrible misrepresentation that shows that they're spending more than they're receiving and that they've actually raised more than the counter says they have!

So which is it? Bullshit that over states how much they've received or bullshit that understates how much they've received? It, quite literally, can't be both.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2019, 02:59:50 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm trying to work out how Derek can seriously suggest that the counter is complete bullshit designed to inspire false confidence in their financial situation in one post and then in another, suggest it's a terrible misrepresentation that shows that they're spending more than they're receiving and that they've actually raised more than the counter says they have!

So which is it? Bullshit that over states how much they've received or bullshit that understates how much they've received? It, quite literally, can't be both.

Quite right, all you can say for certain is it definitely isn't what CIG say it is!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk