Author Topic: Star Citizen Lies, Ramblings, Jpegs, and Bullshit  (Read 187643 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen Lies, Ramblings, Jpegs, and Bullshit
« Reply #300 on: June 14, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »
The face of an about to be broke (again) man?

wiser3754

« Reply #301 on: June 14, 2019, 04:55:50 PM »
Anyone notice just how fat CRoberts has become? His second chin is about to get a sibling if he doesn't get on top of this or worse, a heart attack or stroke. Didn't Sandy buy him a fitbit band last year? I don't think it's working.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2019, 10:15:03 AM »
The face of an about to be broke (again) man?

1 million (reportedly) backers; but videos can't break 26K viewers. smh  :rolleyes:

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

wiser3754

« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2019, 02:03:14 AM »
1 million (reportedly) backers; but videos can't break 26K viewers. smh  :rolleyes:

Backers want a "video game" not videos of a "game".

Noztra

« Reply #304 on: June 17, 2019, 12:14:45 AM »
Meanwhile, over there...

Don't they know the difference between nice to have and need to have?

wiser3754

« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2019, 05:19:30 AM »
Like an experienced and talented team of engineers and suitable project director?

StanTheMan

« Reply #306 on: June 17, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »
Don't they know the difference between nice to have and need to have?

Yes.

NICE to have a game, NEED to have a hanger full of JPEGs.

Noztra

« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:22 AM »
Yes.

NICE to have a game, NEED to have a hanger full of JPEGs.

Need to have = Working flight model.

Nice to have = 30 different kind of drinks.

GaryII

« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2019, 04:30:20 AM »
Need to have = Working flight model.

Nice to have = 30 different kind of drinks.

They need bartender for SQ42, fight model is fine don't spread FUD ;D

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #309 on: July 18, 2019, 04:17:13 PM »
Tales from behind enemy lines

Tonight I used my evening to play 3.6 but it wasn't very interesting so I'm not doing a full write-up. Observations instead:

* They give you a shitload of ships and cash in this PTU, it's almost like an actual test environment as opposed to the "PU" which is definitely really a test environment except you don't get any of the stuff they want you to test, you have to buy it. It's extremely normal to have a separate testing server for your game that is itself in early access super-duper test mode alpha. It's even more normal to have a super-duper secret testing phase before that public testing phase before the regular release that is still actually just a testing phase. With all this testing you know every bug in the game is getting found, and smashed, in record time.

* So I got to fly the Retaliator which is the huge bomber that we all thought was going to be really cool back in the day. I am happy to report that it still sucks poo poo, though apparently (?) the torpedos now work and do absolutely devastate the super expensive chariots in PvP so that's cool and hilarious. But it still has 5 turrets that can't be used unless you get 5 actual people to sit in them, and no other guns, and it's very slow. Also none of the HUDs have been updated in the last like 5 "tiers" of HUD updates so you have to fly it blind all of the time, effectively. It's almost like they aren't uniformly updating poo poo with their passes and they just do updates to the stuff they want to sell to you again.

* Flying across the universe has been made even more fun. Now in addition to 15 minute flight times and your loving quantum drive overheating in mid-flight, you can also be interdicted. Now, you might think "Oh cool NPC interactions like in Elite" but no. No. This is Star Citizen. The interdictions are completely random and they are absolute. You will be pulled out of QT, there is no way to avoid it. You will bring your ship to a complete stop and let them "Complete their scan." If you do not- you are immediately given criminal rating, which will gently caress up your plans if they include landing at literally any place in the game because pretty much all of them will just shoot your rear end. So if you get interdicted you just... lose several minutes while they scan you. Naturally, for test purposes, the malevolent spirit that inhabits Star Citizen makes sure that you will be interdicted 2-3 times per QT trip anywhere. Going 20,000 km? Interdicted. 30,000,000 km? Interdicted. 100km? Interdicted. It is anti-fun.

* The new rest stops are, in my opinion, much better than the old ones. I like the giant models. I like the giant no-fire zones a lot less. The only cool terrain in the game for pvp fights and pvp isn't allowed- also they're covered in turrets. Also I landed at one and just exploded randomly so that's fun.

* Hover mode is incredibly fiddly and makes landing intensely difficult. See it turns out that most of the ships were not designed with the assumption that you'd need to land while keeping the nose perfectly level. And there's no landing assistance. So you're basically going to have to go to external cam, or otherwise guess where the pads are, because the game's sure not going to loving tell you, and nosing down to look will kill you instantly.

* My whole thing tonight was box missions. I wanted to see if mission stacking works so I took as many box deliveries as I could find that all started from the same moon. I probably spent 30 minutes flying around that moon gathering 7 missions worth of poo poo. Then I spent another 20 minutes trying to QT to the planet to deliver them, while my ship constantly got interdicted or overheated. Then I went to land at the drop-off point (Gate 1 of Loreville) and there was a giant no-fly zone around it that didn't appear until I had already flown through it, and I blew up and lost all my poo poo. The evil ghost at the heart of Star Citizen strikes again- I flew for an hour and landed 7 different times without issue but the second I looked like I might get something done, boom goes the dynamite and I'm back in the wank pod.

* They made deliveries pay out 7 or 8k and the combat beacons spammed by NPC's payed more or less the same. They are very gradually tuning the economic output of the game to a more realistic level, probably spurred on by the fact that their internal metrics were showing that nobody ever, ever bought any ships in-game because nobody could earn more than a few k before the patches came out and reset the servers. I'm not going to call the payouts generous- it will still take 100+ missions to earn even a garbage scow, at the current pay rates. But you can stack missions pretty hard, so that's maybe 10 hours of work now instead of hundreds. Still not worth it but- eh, they're moving in the right direction. I do find it hilarious that basically anything bigger than a Constellation is actively a liability to fly right now- you want small hard ships for combat, and small cargo ships for deliveries. Big ships can't turn fast enough for the pilot to fight effectively, and can't move fast enough to stack a lot of deliveries. If this were a normal game I'd say that was good, that we're kind of seeing the bottom-feeder economy put in place and the big ships will get bigger, riskier missions eventually. But this is Star Citizen so it's actually all just kind of shaking out accidentally and if you bought an Idris you can get hosed.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #310 on: August 21, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
Remember back in 2015 when I wrote a highly publicized blog saying the games pitched by Chris Roberts couldn't be made, let alone for less than $150m?

Well there it is. I have updated my numbers. They will hit $300m by year end without a SINGLE game being released.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:02:09 AM by dsmart »

Motto

« Reply #311 on: August 21, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
let alone for less than $150K?

I'd make that an M :-)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #312 on: August 21, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
let alone for less than $150K?

I'd make that an M :-)

Yup - thanks

Chapes

« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2019, 12:13:28 PM »
They will hit $300m by year end

The month-to-month figures is staggering.  You have to wonder at what kind of projects a more capable studio could have put out with 8 years and $300 million.

By comparison, the LoTR movie trilogy script-writing started in mid-1997 and the last movie aired in 2003.  Total budget of all three movies: $281 million.  Imagine if Chris Roberts said at kickstarter that he planned on spending more money and taking more time to produce his vision than freaking Lord of the Rings.

without a SINGLE game being released.

There's a game, actually; it's very meta.  Ponzi scheme simulator, where you experience first-hand what it's like to be suckered.  Ground-breaking immersion.  Bring your friends.

Greggy_D

« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
Remember back in 2015

I can't believe that was 4 years ago.  Feels like yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk