Author Topic: Star Citizen Lies, Ramblings, Jpegs, and Bullshit  (Read 187610 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Lies, Ramblings, Jpegs, and Bullshit
« Reply #315 on: August 21, 2019, 06:02:06 PM »
I can't believe that was 4 years ago.  Feels like yesterday.

Yup. And that was back when many thought I was jealous lunatic who dared to question the Almighty Christ Roberts :emot-lol:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

helimoth

« Reply #316 on: August 21, 2019, 11:21:12 PM »
2019 will seem like a recent memory if the project is still treading water in 2023. By that point it will just be a case of CIG developing <vague 'upcoming' feature> because then once they have implemented that, it will streamline and speed up development from then on.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #317 on: August 22, 2019, 03:34:25 AM »
Yup. And that was back when many thought I was jealous lunatic who dared to question the Almighty Christ Roberts :emot-lol:

Fun thing is, you can be that and still be right about questioning CRoberts.  :tongue:

StanTheMan

« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
The month-to-month figures is staggering.  You have to wonder at what kind of projects a more capable studio could have put out with 8 years and $300 million.

By comparison, the LoTR movie trilogy script-writing started in mid-1997 and the last movie aired in 2003.  Total budget of all three movies: $281 million.  Imagine if Chris Roberts said at kickstarter that he planned on spending more money and taking more time to produce his vision than freaking Lord of the Rings

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:38:10 PM by StanTheMan »

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »
Let's get those dumb whales in a room and harpoon them with a new ship! Queequeg, pass me my finest Aegis harpoon!

https://i.redd.it/ybgktixhjsr21.jpg

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #320 on: August 26, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
If you're a $1000+ tier backer, you get to have the privilege of paying $275 to attend an event where you can buy a $675 ship for which no gameplay loop exists.

My take

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1166000794887479296

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:29:05 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

McDrake

« Reply #321 on: August 26, 2019, 11:43:02 PM »
Well... 275.-

helimoth

« Reply #322 on: August 26, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
A bit jarring to put a vegan dessert after a non-vegan starter and main course but what do I know.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #323 on: August 27, 2019, 01:14:36 AM »
A bit jarring to put a vegan dessert after a non-vegan starter and main course but what do I know.

I'm just surprised that they got the whole meal, and not half the starter, some photos of the main and a concept of a fish course, and a second dessert that wasn't originally planned.

McDrake

« Reply #324 on: August 27, 2019, 04:40:56 AM »
I'm just surprised that they got the whole meal, and not half the starter, some photos of the main and a concept of a fish course, and a second dessert that wasn't originally planned.

The plan was a full Vegan-Dinner
But was lost in the Menu-Meshing

Motto

« Reply #325 on: August 27, 2019, 05:41:14 AM »
It's waiting on the Servicing Servants Objecting Cooking Streamlines

helimoth

« Reply #326 on: August 27, 2019, 11:36:42 AM »
It's not as if it's even a particularly luxurious meal. I'm no food snob and would eat everything on that menu but when you consider the price of the ticket you'd think that the food would have been a bit more upmarket. The entire menu is available here http://www.depot1899.de/ver/eventfolder.pdf

As you'll no doubt notice, CIG opted for one of the more economy menu choices at a mean €29.90 per head when they could have easily splashed out a bit more at €64.90 per head and gone for one of the more premium menu choices - why not, it's a special event for VIPs, right? Seems like a penny pinching move from CIG to me especially since the tickets were paid for and were essentially tickets to a sales event.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #327 on: August 27, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »
It's not as if it's even a particularly luxurious meal. I'm no food snob and would eat everything on that menu but when you consider the price of the ticket you'd think that the food would have been a bit more upmarket. The entire menu is available here http://www.depot1899.de/ver/eventfolder.pdf

As you'll no doubt notice, CIG opted for one of the more economy menu choices at a mean €29.90 per head when they could have easily splashed out a bit more at €64.90 per head and gone for one of the more premium menu choices - why not, it's a special event for VIPs, right? Seems like a penny pinching move from CIG to me especially since the tickets were paid for and were essentially tickets to a sales event.

LOLOLOL

Treating their high-rollers right. At least you get to talk to Roberts and ask him where your money has gone.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #328 on: August 31, 2019, 03:47:30 AM »
After radio silence from CIG, the latest Pillar Talk drops:

Short, no Chris, no explanation apart from the quarterly release cycle being unworkable. Basically they are still going to have quarterly releases, but they will split the teams so that one half is on one release, the others on the next one.  They have probably bought themselves some more time with the believers as the changes can be explained by adjusting to the new cadence. Loads of backers in Reddit arguing about Agile, it is clear both they and CIG have no idea what it is about. I wish this was uncommon in development but it really isn't lol.

Elsewhere they have released the roadmap and S42 has been delayed by three months... Is that all? Just moving the dangled carrot slightly further down the road.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #329 on: August 31, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »
My Twitter response to this latest news

I am so shocked right now, I think I need to go lie down for a bit. 😂😱🙄

ps. yes, I DID see this coming and wrote in my last blog that Q2/20 was another pipe dream. Here we are

Star Citizen's Squadron 42 beta delayed three months to Q3 2020 | Eurogamer

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-08-31-star-citizens-squadron-42-beta-delayed-three-months-to-q3-2020

I saw this coming by just looking at the dev schedules, comparing to what they were releasing, cut from dev etc.

Funny how they - once again -release bad news right after another whale milking event.

Also, it's pure and utter bs; and just another excuse to justify yet another delay for a 2014 game.

It's the norm.

They've been in staggered dev for as long as they've had a dev schedule - and they know it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk