Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1075569 times)

mixalot

Re: Sad Citizens
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2017, 03:34:44 PM »
At best SQ42 is going to be a 2020 release. Currently CIG hasn't even nailed down the basic foundation of their flight model let alone any cockpit functionality, navigation system, weapon system balance, ECM/ECCM, scanning, etc. All that's going to take at least another 3-4 years to complete.

As far as the PU is concerned...we're talking 2025 at best for a full MMO experience that people will actually pay money for and not rage on because of shattered dreams. And that's assuming that 1) CIG doesn't run out of money beforehand, and 2) it's actually somehow physically possible within the computer industry to have hundreds of high-'fidelity' Cryengine ships all in the same instance at the same time and not have the server be running at 3.5 FPS.

StanTheMan

« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
At best SQ42 is going to be a 2020 release. Currently CIG hasn't even nailed down the basic foundation of their flight model let alone any cockpit functionality, navigation system, weapon system balance, ECM/ECCM, scanning, etc. All that's going to take at least another 3-4 years to complete.

As far as the PU is concerned...we're talking 2025 at best for a full MMO experience that people will actually pay money for and not rage on because of shattered dreams. And that's assuming that 1) CIG doesn't run out of money beforehand, and 2) it's actually somehow physically possible within the computer industry to have hundreds of high-'fidelity' Cryengine ships all in the same instance at the same time and not have the server be running at 3.5 FPS.

And if that PU ever arrived, the Real Money Trade businesses would be all over it robbing ships, currency, accounts etc and pissing off many of the players.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »
Looks like OSC is back, but in a different Reddit

Star Citizen - Let's Talk Financial Accountability

So OSC has been unbanned and is back!. Apparently those clowns mass reported him for spam, and got him auto-banned. Of course this goes completely against all the lies they were telling, saying that admins figured out that he was my alt and all that nonsense. Shocking that a bunch of harassers parked on a hate subreddit would tell heinous lies. Shocking.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
Meanwhile, the Star Citizen community outrage over CCu fees continues. This one is eye-opening.

Ah interesting, I didn't realize right away this was posted in a thread made by NKato. He's actually a well-known member of Test Squadron (the star citizen equivalent of EVE Online's Dreddit corporation/Test Alliance, Please Ignore). It's interesting because NKato is REALLY into Star Citizen. He's well known for his immense amount of writing on Star Citizen theory-crafting  and has obviously also put a lot of money into it. I guess it goes to show that the more intellectually stable members of the Star Citizen community are still capable of realizing when things have gotten out of hand.

(I am also a member of Test Squadron)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
Meanwhile, the Star Citizen community outrage over CCu fees continues. This one is eye-opening.

Ah interesting, I didn't realize right away this was posted in a thread made by NKato. He's actually a well-known member of Test Squadron (the star citizen equivalent of EVE Online's Dreddit corporation/Test Alliance, Please Ignore). It's interesting because NKato is REALLY into Star Citizen. He's well known for his immense amount of writing on Star Citizen theory-crafting  and has obviously also put a lot of money into it. I guess it goes to show that the more intellectually stable members of the Star Citizen community are still capable of realizing when things have gotten out of hand.

(I am also a member of Test Squadron)

Yeah, I saw that when it first went up.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

mixalot

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »
It's my personal opinion that issues like the CCU fee/removal are just recurring symptoms of large-scale project management failure. We can point to various things that Roberts does to piss off the community, but at the end of the day, it all boils down to this: CIG is in year 5 (6) of their development and they're still trying to figure out if they can build the game they promised. Think about that and forget all the content, new NPC missions, ship balance, flight model, etc... After all this time they don't even have the basic tech figured out to do what they've promised to everyone.

Roberts might be incompetent but I don't think he's dumb. I think he knows that his company is really struggling, and I think a lot of what he's doing is intentional and out of desperation to either get more money out of backers or to gloss over the fact that the project is in serious trouble. In this case, the CCU outrage was because he tried to milk backers and CIG tried to alter their course by blaming the decision on 0.05% of backers who'd stockpiled tons of CCUs.

So instead of dealing with the minuscule portion of backers who were abusing the system (a system that CIG themselves put in place and didn't regulate properly), they use it as an excuse to justify a new policy that will net them financial gain.

I mean, this is incredible. And not in a good way. 

StanTheMan

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »
It's my personal opinion that issues like the CCU fee/removal are just recurring symptoms of large-scale project management failure. We can point to various things that Roberts does to piss off the community, but at the end of the day, it all boils down to this: CIG is in year 5 (6) of their development and they're still trying to figure out if they can build the game they promised. Think about that and forget all the content, new NPC missions, ship balance, flight model, etc... After all this time they don't even have the basic tech figured out to do what they've promised to everyone.

Roberts might be incompetent but I don't think he's dumb. I think he knows that his company is really struggling, and I think a lot of what he's doing is intentional and out of desperation to either get more money out of backers or to gloss over the fact that the project is in serious trouble. In this case, the CCU outrage was because he tried to milk backers and CIG tried to alter their course by blaming the decision on 0.05% of backers who'd stockpiled tons of CCUs.

So instead of dealing with the minuscule portion of backers who were abusing the system (a system that CIG themselves put in place and didn't regulate properly), they use it as an excuse to justify a new policy that will net them financial gain.

Roberts doesn't need to be especially dumb to be stuck in his bubble.

He seems absolutely OK with repeating the idea that this is an open ended project. 

Technical challenges can be overcome and he can always remain optimistic about which new JPEGs he can sell to existing and new Backers.

Press coverage is still largely positive.

It is going to be a lot easier for him to believe his team can deliver and they have a vested interest in trundling along letting him believe that.

It is easy for him to believe a large percent of Backers enjoy the ride and will give him more time.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2017, 05:26:14 AM »

It all boils down to arrogance and hubris. They ignored the referral outrage because it doesn't affect their bottom line. But the CCU outrage which was a blatant cash grab, regardless of how many backers were abusing the system, was a wakeup call for them. Even expiring them is a problem. They created this whole problem right off the bat; and in doing so, they created the Grey market - which has all but collapsed now due to various CIG changes since 2015.

They are still going to make money from concepts and ship sales; but I think they already know that the writing is on the wall that those resources have all but dried up in terms of long-term financial gain. At this point, they really have no choice but to downsize publicly. They've been downsizing quietly since early 2016 by getting rid of various external studios even though their work on the project wasn't even complete. And BHVR was the most recent from end of 2016 (even though I had leaked that info back then, croberts only acknowledged it in a newsletter earlier this year). I continue to hear that the downsizing is on-going, and that the jobs page is just for show (a lot of companies do this, even though they're not actually hiring).

The project is FUBAR, and we all have a front row seat to its inevitable collapse.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2017, 04:01:41 AM »
OK this is getting kinda ridonculous now.

So OSC made a massive post Let's Talk LumberYard Engine Switch yesterday. Key point:

"CIG spent millions to license a stock game engine, spent additional millions over several years to build a custom game engine; only to then scrap it for another custom engine. While Amazon spent millions to buy a stock engine license, is spending millions to improve it, and then released it as a more superior engine to CIG's (who had a huge head start over Amazon) own offering."

The /r/StarCitizen mods banned him shortly thereafter.  The reason?

I messaged the mod to ask why. And got this response. At least they're not pretending anymore.

"Your close interaction with Derek Smart."

:laugh:

StanTheMan

« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2017, 04:58:48 AM »
They have no integrity whatsoever.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »

None. They tried to ban him by mass reporting his previous post as spam. That got him shadowbanned. When that didn't work as expected (he was unbanned by a Reddit admin), they decided to just say "fuck it", we're going to ban him anyway - because we can.

StanTheMan

« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »

None. They tried to ban him by mass reporting his previous post as spam. That got him shadowbanned. When that didn't work as expected (he was unbanned by a Reddit admin), they decided to just say "fuck it", we're going to ban him anyway - because we can.

I am not that familiar with Reddit, but isn't it possible/sensible to create an alternative Reddit for SC ?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »

I am not that familiar with Reddit, but isn't it possible/sensible to create an alternative Reddit for SC ?

Yeah of course. But why bother? Those guys aren't worth it. Plus it's not like OSC is out to cause problems. All he is doing is expressing concern; while getting attacked by proxy (because for some dumb reason, some still believe that he is my alt account - which is nonsense)

StanTheMan

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »
Looks like /r/ds is on the verge of implosion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk