Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1130102 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Citizenship
« Reply #1425 on: November 12, 2018, 05:55:45 AM »
So I joined a random dude today on his hammerhead and actually did a mission vs NPC's while crewing one of his turrets. It was just him and me on the supership, but that didn't matter.

Observations:

* You cannot share missions, and mission state is not the same between players. So he could accept the merc mission but I couldn't see or accept it. Makes it even harder to crew ships, since nobody's getting anything out of it.

* Apparently rather than fix this or, you know, add AI gunners like the enemy NPC's have, CIG has instituted "Combat Beacons" which is where you pay other players out of your own pocket to crew your chariot for you. Given that the mission payouts cap at 1k, this pay is incredibly low and basically pointless. You'd spend hours to earn a pair of shoes.

* The amount of stuff that will attack you in one of these missions seems to be capped at 4 or so fighters, which means the big ships are even more ludicrously OP. 3 or 4 fighters is a major threat to my Gladius, and I had to do this mission about five times when I was trying it in the PTU.

* But the Hammerhead is so goddamn stupidly powerful that I, in my one turret, could easily obliterate NPC pirate fighters in a single shot. It has 6 of these turrets. Its shields are so OP that when a couple of the pirates got jammed up on the wrong side of the hull from me, the captain got out of his seat, walked the length of the 500 meter ship, got in the bottom turret, turned it on, and blew them up. They were shooting us the whole time and the shields never dipped below 80%.

* Combat seemed kind of desynced, the captain sat in his turret for a minute trying to shoot one guy and said his shields weren't dropping, while all of mine died instantly. Great job there CIG, knocking it out of the park.

* On the way out of Port O someone rammed us. After the mission, the captain went to the R&R station to repair. Reportedly repair costs from one collision were substantially more than the mission payout, meaning even with a perfect run you can lose money.

* The chat window is wildly inconsistent. Sometimes it is in your HUD now, sometimes it isn't, and if it isn't you cannot get it to appear there no matter what you do. You cannot chat or use menus during the 15 minute long unskippable immersion animations for entering/exiting turrets, using chairs, climbing ladders, etc. This makes it incredibly difficult to coordinate with someone while you run around their giant rear end ship.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1426 on: November 12, 2018, 05:58:27 AM »
SO basically 3.4 is just 3.3 with the features that were late

Seems the features they keep moving out of one patch and moving into later patches really means, CIG did not deliver full patches this year, but will keep calling each branch 3.4 3.5 etc...

When we go back and look at the roadmap from a year or so ago, it suggested we would have plenty more then we have right now ingame - done.

Anyways, who cares, game dev takes time sure. Just wish we had the new flight model sooner than later. We have no real meaningful item 2.0 systems in yet, at least in my opinion there s not much difference.

They built up this hype for item 2.0 systems and it was going to be the starcitizen holy grail for fun things to do ingame with your ship, and really nothing yet has become of it. Sure we have OCS coming and maybe server meshing in the future to actually make this a multiplayer game.

Right now StarCitizen is to me, still a mile wide and an inch deep but with nothing to do thats very fun yet. Mining is cool, but - you need to have an expensive ship to do it and there is very little multiplayer in it without having spent some serious money in the game.

Just waiting for something fun and new to do. Exploring Hurtson will be neat, but it will only go so far, in a few hours, the game is still the same without much depth yet nor persistence. What are we missing ?

Like what would make this game more fun in the short run ? Sure waiting sucks, but thats just life, I choose to go celebrate doing something else in the meantime, but I do come back here expecting progress, but it's never close to what being where it should be according to schedules. Never.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:03:31 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1427 on: November 12, 2018, 05:03:16 PM »
Are these people starting to think that if this is what Croberts can do with 400 plus people ...how many more people and how many more years is he going to need to deliver a ...game ?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1428 on: November 13, 2018, 05:46:40 AM »
FTR visited Loreville @ 20 fps

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #1430 on: November 13, 2018, 11:57:22 PM »
The new gameplay citizens have designed in lieu of any actual gameplay... Taking digital drinks aboard their spaceships and taking screenshots.

What is the point? I have seriously no idea, maybe it makes them feel better that Chris is wasting their money on virtual bars and ice cube physics rather than gameplay.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #1431 on: November 14, 2018, 12:04:57 AM »
The ex-mod of /r/dereksmart

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/9wrdpy/the_exploration_mechanic_as_a_whole_is_now/
Lol, it's like the latest meeting of kool-aid-aholics anonymous in there.

They have so much technical debt embedded in the zillions of ships types they have sold that this is just one more problem for them.

Many of these ships were sold based on flight of fancy ideas and nothing more. CIG had no clue if the mechanics could or should be built into the game.
BINGO!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1432 on: November 14, 2018, 07:06:45 AM »
Who wants to go tell him that they're set pieces - just like the worm - and that they were tricked (again) at this past CitizenCon into thinking they were going to be flying over a city of any kind?

Lorville is truly amazing. But there are too many No fly zones

Saying it again, these guys deserve to be scammed.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1433 on: November 14, 2018, 07:07:14 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1434 on: November 14, 2018, 07:19:28 AM »
Running on I7 8086K AND GTX1080. By himself. No other players around.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1435 on: November 14, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
Bodhi@randbodhi
Today at 14:22

At the risk of sounding insensitive.. do you think NYC allows planes to fly in between it's buildings for joyriding? Any city?

We've known about no-fly for a long time, and even was shown a version of it with the Sandworm presentation a few years back (where the no-fly was said to be because of the weather).

Great great, makes gameplay sense too in that you cant just plop your reclaimer down upon the mission area and eat the crap out of the entire affair, instead of having to FPS your way in like a pro..
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/lorville-is-truly-amazing-but-there-are-too-many-n

This is indicative of the Backercuntery on offer to excuse the no fly zones.

It has escaped this numpty that New York does allow people to walk around the streets and that in MMOs you were always able to drop in on other people trying to complete their quests and CIG used a troop ship drop in their convention demo.  Then we have Tonks etc for a ground assault..

Anyway some of the Backers are not happy.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:31:08 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1436 on: November 14, 2018, 03:04:30 PM »
Lorville when the server dies and the client can glitch through the no fly zone

As you can see, not all the models have a collision mesh. That's why he gets the proximity warning only when approaching certain [large] buildings. This is why they have the NFZ because if all those models have a collision mesh, performance would be an absolute nightmare and he would be lucky to get 5fps. And since collisions are triggered based on distance from an object, that's also why they have the NFZ so far from the city, the orbital ingress altitude is 100K meters above the city etc.

jwh1701

« Reply #1437 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:00 PM »
Lorville when the server dies and the client can glitch through the no fly zone

As you can see, not all the models have a collision mesh. That's why he gets the proximity warning only when approaching certain [large] buildings. This is why they have the NFZ because if all those models have a collision mesh, performance would be an absolute nightmare and he would be lucky to get 5fps. And since collisions are triggered based on distance from an object, that's also why they have the NFZ so far from the city, the orbital ingress altitude is 100K meters above the city etc.

I wonder how unity is doing the incredible city demo and the fact they played it on a mobile as well? They talked a lot about streaming but even then the LOD was incredible with no popping.

jwh1701

« Reply #1438 on: November 15, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
LOL

I feel like 3.3.5 brings this game to the level similar to Elite Dangerous.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9xe1re/happy_with_game_development_not_so_much_with/

N0mad

« Reply #1439 on: November 16, 2018, 03:31:37 AM »

I wonder how unity is doing the incredible city demo and the fact they played it on a mobile as well? They talked a lot about streaming but even then the LOD was incredible with no popping.

Because they've gone into the core of the engine and rebuilt the way objects are handled concentrating solely on performance: specifically they've reduced everything to primitive variables in a tightly packed fast iterating array which speeds up CPU operations. Combined with a render culling algorithm and asset streaming they can see these incredible results. The downside is that going from object oriented programming to a data oriented approach is a bit of a headache.

Unity have the advantage that they're only trying to build an engine rather than a game. CIG are basically stuck with what they've got, to go into the core of the engine and implement the same system would take years and then they'd have to throw out all the code they've already built for the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk