Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1075335 times)

Judge_dolly_OG

Re: Star Citizen Citizenship
« Reply #2070 on: August 27, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
This was very well done - and explained to laymen. I've been talking about this for years (since 2015) and in various blogs in which I explained all these technical difficulties which were going to be looming. That was back when I was being attacked for daring to write heresy. Here we are. Five years later. Full circle.

Note: SSOCS is no longer in the roadmap because *gasp* they're no longer actively working on it. It's that simple. And without it, not only will the project never - ever - be an MMO, server meshing won't work either.

If you are right, then they were straight up lying to their marks at that dinner they held recently.

Not unheard of to be sure :D

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2071 on: August 27, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
If you are right, then they were straight up lying to their marks at that dinner they held recently.

Not unheard of to be sure :D

You sound surprised :emot-lol:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #2072 on: August 27, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
You sound surprised :emot-lol:

A crappy implementation of sweaty SSOCS breaking everything would explain the massive delays (even by CIG standards). The fact devs have said that it is needed for s42 because it is client/server still just makes me lol even more.

"You think you know technical debt, I was born in in, moulded by it." - Chris Roberts, probably... Best thing is that the backers will think it shows progress on SC when it is purely to get S42 out of the door, but will make them think progress on the MMO is being made, shame they won't need server meshing for s42, lol and the MMO is never getting finished. If CIG somehow make enough money on S42, it will be straight onto episode 2 or whatever. That ball and chain of broken promises and piled up undeveloped features will be dropped in an instant.

Will be interesting to see who is right, either way is lolz.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2073 on: August 28, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »
The fact devs have said that it is needed for s42 because it is client/server still just makes me lol even more.

They're lying.

It's a single player game, and both CryEngine and Lumberyard already have support for visibility culling - the staple of ALL game engines - which is all a single player game needs.

They know this - that's why SSOCS is no longer in dev and/or the roadmap.

That SQ42 is client-server, just like SC, makes it less of an issue because the [local] server doesn't have to do anything but pull data off the [local] HDD.

The whole SSOCS debable is about the server pulling in data as-needed. Because both games are based on the same engine, unless they branch off the engine into two parts (one for SC & SQ42), which would be a very major headache, it's an all or nothing type deal now.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Chapes

« Reply #2074 on: August 28, 2019, 02:05:55 PM »
It would entertain me if the glacial progress / lack of communication was due to the devs working, behind the scenes, to remove/replace CryEngine functions with Lumberyard or their own code while the legal team delays discovery for as long as possible.

Chapes

« Reply #2075 on: August 28, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »

Krandor

« Reply #2076 on: August 30, 2019, 11:02:58 AM »
and today on Pillar talk.   S42 is delayed again and instead of actually talking about things like game feartures use pillar talk to go into how they are going to switch from a 3 month to a 6 month development cycle and this is now what is delaying S42 again.  Even a lot of their supporters are really dissapointed in this. 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/staggered-development-faq-1
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:06:41 AM by Krandor »

jham

« Reply #2077 on: August 30, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »

HA HA HA!  :emot-lol:

McDrake

« Reply #2078 on: August 31, 2019, 12:35:47 AM »
They gonna change the engine back to cryengine... 'cause it looks so good to CR:
:grin:

jwh1701

« Reply #2079 on: September 03, 2019, 08:22:52 PM »

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #2080 on: September 04, 2019, 03:38:18 AM »
I think I'm at the stage now where I almost want Squadron 42 to be a steaming pile of turd when it finally drops. The rage and gnashing of teeth would be entertainment enough.

Hope is clinging on for a decent space adventure game though. Damn you hope!

Motto

« Reply #2081 on: September 04, 2019, 03:40:50 AM »
Hope is just postponed disappointment

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #2082 on: September 04, 2019, 03:46:05 AM »
Or postponed ecstasy. Either way it's going to be fun finding out. Either a decent game or some excellent forum/Reddit drama.

Nah, who are we kidding. Christ Roberts doesn't make bad games. It's gonna be awesome! Incredible. Beyond reproach.

Bow down and worship your rightful gaming master.

Motto

« Reply #2083 on: September 04, 2019, 03:53:56 AM »
I would, but Derek doesn't like it when I do.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #2084 on: September 05, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »
Our Derek, who art in a battlecruiser, tarnished be thy name.
Thy blogs will come.
Thy words be done, on Reddit as it is on twitter.
Give us this day our daily rant;
and forgive us our pledges, as we forgive those who pledge thouands;
and lead us not into star citizen, but deliver us from Roberts
Amen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk