Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1075683 times)

krylite

Re: The Star Citizenship
« Reply #555 on: November 26, 2017, 10:18:40 PM »
No seriously, as I posted, these guys are 100% RESPONSIBLE for how we ended up here.

His stream and others like him are also partially if not majorly responsible for the misled expectations, salt, and trolling and dissing of ED development and
the game itself on the ED forums imo. I was late following this mess, but I had seen FTR's pretentious videos for the past year. He's just a fugktard with a
stupid over-cussing stream now trying to appear blameless and hilariously even clueless about you being right for so long. I remember when he often dissed Elite: Dangerous
in comparison to Star Citizen's "future" glory in earlier streams. Then it was hilarious when he did his "refund" video a few months back trying to act all angrily justified
when all he really had was egg on his face for being so wrong and barking it up as the biggest fool. He said he refunded then lamely claims he still
"believes" SC would get made the way their ponzi marketing described it. Fools like him are ignorant young streaming twats of this yt generation
who don't value honesty and admit they wrong in a simple civilized debate turning it into a useless ego-drama war.

"Sniper Ghost Warrior 3" was the first "cryengine" game I played. And I can surely see now how it's extremely limited to the FPS framework and
supports that the SC ponzi has just been showing cryengine techdemo level ads over and over every year. It takes so freaking long to load a cryengine region/level,
while ED can load up in less than a tenth of the time. The "wow" looks of SC animations, and background don't look so impressive anymore after
seeing other cryengine made games. "DS was right"
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:43:38 PM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #556 on: November 27, 2017, 06:34:52 AM »
No seriously, as I posted, these guys are 100% RESPONSIBLE for how we ended up here.

His stream and others like him are also partially if not majorly responsible for the misled expectations, salt, and trolling and dissing of ED development and
the game itself on the ED forums imo. I was late following this mess, but I had seen FTR's pretentious videos for the past year. He's just a fugktard with a
stupid over-cussing stream now trying to appear blameless and hilariously even clueless about you being right for so long. I remember when he often dissed Elite: Dangerous
in comparison to Star Citizen's "future" glory in earlier streams. Then it was hilarious when he did his "refund" video a few months back trying to act all angrily justified
when all he really had was egg on his face for being so wrong and barking it up as the biggest fool. He said he refunded then lamely claims he still
"believes" SC would get made the way their ponzi marketing described it. Fools like him are ignorant young streaming twats of this yt generation
who don't value honesty and admit they wrong in a simple civilized debate turning it into a useless ego-drama war.

He's a moron. These are the guys who think that after being dicks for so long, that seeing the light they're all of a sudden going to get a pass. Just wait; the shit's about to get real in the coming weeks. I can't say more than that - yet.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #557 on: November 27, 2017, 06:43:06 AM »
Well, I'd like a heads-up. Like really, really like. So how about you PM me?  :smuggo:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #558 on: November 27, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
I wrote this over on SA

It's nothing to do with that. For those of us who have developed multiplayer games, it almost always starts out as a single player session with stub code for all the networking bits which you later fill in. And that off-line mode is valuable for testing because without the actual data set earlier on, you have no idea how you need to streamline your code down the road.

And that's typically the problem that Star Citizen has. They somehow figured that - untouched - the baseline CryEngine network layer was adequate. It wasn't - as anyone who has played a CryEngine multiplayer game will tell you. But they decided, wtf, we're just going to make an MMO anyway.

Having done that, knowing that they're never - ever - getting an MMO out of this shit-show, they decided to focus on other things, while making minor to subtle revisions to the network layer in order to be able to actually come up with a proper client-server (FYI CryEngine base networking is peer-to-peer, but you can hack in a client-server model if you wanted to). It's how the PU came to be, whereby they were touting "persistence" despite the fact that there was nothing actually persistent (db store and pulls are not persistence) about it.

So, right now in 3.0, hype aside - with zero optimizations to their networking - each client in a serssion sends in excess of 4K bytes (I shit you not, fire up Wireshark and see) per second to the server. The server response is over 160K bytes - to every fucking client. This is only part of the reason why the server shits itself so frequently.

However, there is NO fixing their networking layer without ripping it all out. They know this - that's why they haven't touched it. And even though they have yet to switch to LumberYard's own implementation (LY deprecated the base CryEngine networking), even doing that won't help because that too wasn't designed for large scale networking.

The end result? As I've written over and over, they're never - ever - getting an MMO out of this. If they don't collapse in the short-term, and somehow limp (they won't - they're fucked, it's just not news yet) along putting bandaid on the PU until they shit out SQ42, the closest they're ever going to get to meaningful multiplayer, is precisely where they are right now, but with fewer clients.

Then someone sent me this...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/petition-tell-us-about-state-of-network-code
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #559 on: November 27, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »
DiscoLando says:
This is the kind of thing you can expect more updates on once patches with these updated systems (remember what is often referred to as "the Network Code Revamp" is actually improvements to several different systems alongside the addition of new ones that all work in conjunction with one other) go to Evocati/PTU/Live. It's when we get to put these systems into widespread practice that we'll begin to see the fruits of these labors, gauge how successful they are, and continue to iterate throughout the entire 3.x series of patches.

Soooo, they'll tell us about the status of the networking layer after it's already in the game? Useful. The entire 3.x series of patches you say. Remember when the networking fix was supposed to be in a long time ago? This is pathetic.

David-2

« Reply #560 on: November 27, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
DiscoLando says:
The entire 3.x series of patches you say. Remember when the networking fix was supposed to be in a long time ago?

I thought the "networking fix" was supposed to be in and of itself what would make 3.0 the "Jesus patch".

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #561 on: November 27, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
It sounds like this will NEVER happen since so many other things are dependant on this, assuming it could be done it could take a year offline to do. That was my take on what was said. One year with no game, no income, no ship sales. They could not survive that. Again assuming that it COULD be done using Lumberyard and that appears unlikely.

Flashwit

« Reply #562 on: November 28, 2017, 10:05:42 AM »
Just think of how incompetent one would have to be to reach the starry heights of croberts. How many ships have been reworked, some twice or more? How much effort has been put into making pointless animations or capturing useless motion data? Some things are completely unnecessarily detailed right now, and then you compare that against networking, which is barely past nonexistent.

A robust network setup should have been the first thing implemented after getting ships flying around, not the...87th thing.

David-2

« Reply #563 on: November 28, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »
Just think of how incompetent one would have to be to reach the starry heights of croberts. How many ships have been reworked, some twice or more? How much effort has been put into making pointless animations or capturing useless motion data? Some things are completely unnecessarily detailed right now, and then you compare that against networking, which is barely past nonexistent.

A robust network setup should have been the first thing implemented after getting ships flying around, not the...87th thing.

How much effort did he have to devote to squashing and humiliating subordinates who tried to point any of these things out before he sufficiently intimidated the rest into keeping their mouths shut?  Alternatively - how much work did he put into the hiring process to ensure the solid engineering thinkers didn't get in the door?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #564 on: November 28, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »
Amid the controversy, CIG is now asking backers to brigade the highly controversial Reddit thread.

Reported

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:56:23 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #565 on: November 29, 2017, 06:21:18 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

N0mad

« Reply #567 on: December 03, 2017, 06:17:50 AM »
More hilarity as the SC sub reddit denizens turn on each other:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7h8r2r/i_hate_it_when_someone_says_its_been_6_years_in/

Some idiot (50 upvotes after 4 hours) is trying to argue that SC has actually been in development for 3.5 years. Even the zealots are finding fault with this one.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:43:57 AM by N0mad »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #568 on: December 03, 2017, 06:33:49 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7h8r2r/i_hate_it_when_someone_says_its_been_6_years_in/

Some idiot (50 upvotes after 4 hours) is trying to argue that SC has actually been in development for 3.5 years. Even the zealots are finding fault with this one.

Yeah, this pops up once in awhile. However, this time around, most are starting to fight back at the zealot cultists who keep downplaying the situation.

Kyrt

« Reply #569 on: December 03, 2017, 02:30:32 PM »

The sequence  - as I understand it - is essentially

2011 - Development of Star Citizen (original) begins
2012 - October; Kickstarter launches
2013 - September; F42 incorporated
2013 - October 18; $23 million (the figure at which no outside investor is needed) raised
2015 - April, Foundry 42 Frankfurt created
2017 - January, 2.6 released
2017 - December, 3.0 released (presumed)

2011 to 2017, gives 6 years, heading onto 7. All that pre-production work? it counts as part of the game development.

I do note that there seems to be some confusion about when CIG was actually founded.
Some sites give a date of 2010, some of 2012. CIGs own site apparently once said 2011, but that page has been removed. I'd be inclined to go with 2010 myself as there had to be somebody doing the work in 2011 when development started.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk