Author Topic: Starfield  (Read 8785 times)

krylite

Starfield
« on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »
From the few public details, Bethsesda's Starfield seems to have started their secret or quiet development close to the same time as SC and ED.

There was this linked reddit post I saw in the ED forums. It claims secondhand rumors and detaiils from an insider about the current state of Starfield. As there's very little official public details released since the E3 teaser, it probably should be taken with a grain of salt. I think it's still fun to ponder these rumors:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/8wl17r/i_have_some_information_about_starfield_you_might/

"75% done" - well heck of a lot more done than the 18% of SC after the same years passed. 
pragmatically smaller space scope, 7 fully detailed planets, still a lot better than being stuck in Stanton
"ultimate sci-fi rpg" - maybe more of a Skryim or even Arena in space. Single player only and moddable, so
while big and probably a gamechanger in it's own right, maybe not really the niche of a galactic scaled sim approaching ED's ambition.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:25:37 PM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Starfield
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:51:01 AM »
Yeah, I've been following that one. The space combat genre is a tough nut to crack. And when you go add RPG elements to it, you end up with a completely different kind of game. That's why Mass Effect Andromeda and even COD:IW came and faded quickly. Even when you look at the financials for ED, it's clear to see that the genre is still very much a niche. Look at NMS or FTL; those are genre games with different features, while still being called space combat games.

Star Citizen would never - ever - have made $190M if it was completed and launched in 2014-2015 as per it's original scope. That's why they kept raising money on promises. They basically front-loaded the income, and now they're in technical debt.

Starfield isn't a space combat game in the sense of what we have come to expect from that genre; so we just have to wait and see what exactly it is they come up with.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

krylite

Re: Starfield
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 04:49:14 AM »
Aha, the first trailer of Bethsesda's Starfield, after that non-descript teaser a few years back.

"in-game" footage. continuing the Odyssey trailers' "in-game" footage sign trend, basically calling out SC's outsourced and faked trailers over the years.  :emot-laugh: , now the one-two punch "RIP SC" knockdown of the first half of '21 as more space themed games show SC and CR can't pretend they are pioneering advancements in the genre over their ponzi scammy years, while other legit dev firms are making real and envelope pushing progress.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 04:51:27 AM by krylite »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk