Author Topic: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw  (Read 10034 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:13:54 PM »
I am very much looking forward to this one.

Gorf over on SA has a good write-up (with time stamp links) of the video above, as it relates to our favorite train-wreck

The guy has a perfect voice for a wry NPR show.

The Competition —When developing the first Rebel Galaxy, they steered clear of a 3d space dogfighting sim, fearing getting crushed by Star Citizen, Elite or No Man’s Sky. But as it turned out, none of those titles delivered the experience they’d had in mind. So now they are.

The Mission Board — Remember when ArcCorp was supposed to have something like this? Now it’s all cockpit based, like Elite, which I personally think is less cool. (Not that Elite has much choice.)

7 In Game Radio Stations — 21 hours of music, spanning genres, with scripted DJs. This is drat COOL. Being in your ship, tunes blaring as your running missions, is going to automatically be more immersive and cool than Robo-voices GalNet updates OR the 200tg repetition of the “tension building” orchestral score Star Citizen loads.

Mission interrupted — The taunting alien on your HUD evokes golden era Chris Roberts games, even while Chris’s $200 million game has no aliens still. (Oh, and look, a fun flight model, too. Whodathunk you need that in a dogfighting game?)

Cockpit damage — Nice, familiar touch. And I love the half-realistic, half-cartoonish explosions.

Starmap — Too straightforward and easy to use. Needs to be made far more overcomplicated and unusable to really compete at the Quadruple A game level.

Landing at a Base to do Repairs, Upgrades and R&R — Automatic docking and loading screens sure help speed up the boring, repetitive stuff. Prior to PG, Star Citizen was planning to do a little bit of this, too. I guess some people feel like autopiloting and shortcuts kill immersiveness, so maybe total immersion in boredom is a superior alternative.

Gambling for Money or Ship Parts — Such an obvious and appealing addition to such a game. It’d be better with additional NPCs and more complex games — the Red Dead gambling sessions were fantastic — but it’s a $30 indie. Still a better leisure activity than anything in Star acitizen or Elite to date. (And holographic chess isn’t going to work no matter how good it looks...)

Merchant’s Guild — Unlocks new missions for Cargo delivery.

There’s 45 more minutes of this stuff. I won’t write up it all but for a $30 indie, it’s looking drat promising. This is in such a sweet spot between the dinky but gorgeous No Man’s Sky (an exploration/crafting/survival sim) and the sprawling, ponderous, joyless giants. I hope they make an absolute fortune and keep upping their game for this franchise, because it looks a lot more like the kind of space game I’d rather play these days.

You know, the Fun kind.

Autopursuit — Oh I like this.

Wagering for Ship Parts - Fully simulated 8 ball pool. Nice. (Which ship in Star Citizen has the pool table again? And what can you do with it?)

How long until Chris has a fever dream and commissions a skunk works team to minigame up the boring rear end Verse? Weeks not months, I reckon.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:16:59 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:27:34 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

McDrake

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
Sounds cool. I loved the first game (ok, other gameplay but fun)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
The first game was 2.5D. This one is full 3D and looks like Privateer meets Freelancer with a dash of Firefly (the movie)

McDrake

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 01:31:59 AM »
The upgrades from the small ship to the big vessel with a lot of cannons.... :grin:
Amd a good pace of progress.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:33:37 AM »
Yeah, I can't wait. They seem to have done a really good job with this. RGO and the upcoming new X game, space combat is going take a leap again - leaving Star Citizen in the dust.

mtn355

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 12:40:11 PM »
Didnt knew abot this one yet - but this one definitely goes one my wishlist right now!

ShoHashi

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 06:06:49 AM »
Ditto for me! :)

krylite

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 07:18:28 PM »
I am very much looking forward to this one.

Gorf over on SA has a good write-up (with time stamp links) of the video above, as it relates to our favorite train-wreck

I could have done without all the misinformed panning of Elite:Dangerous in the writeup. But otherwise good contrast to the SC boondogle. RG:O looks like it's own unique take and style on the genre. If CIG had released a managed scoped SQ42 like RG with all their mo-cap and cutscenes done of the genre actors, they could have been in a far less mess with some legitimate revenue, but CRobbers and crew had already went into his "fracking" of the whalers to perpetuity mode.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:20:53 PM by krylite »

mtn355

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 06:25:09 AM »
This one has also been released now, AFAIK only in the epic store until now.
Is there Anyone here who already played it?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 11:49:21 AM »
I was planning on picking it up this weekend actually.

Chapes

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »
Been playing it for a few days now.  Quick and dirty impressions.

+ Great atmosphere and aesthetics.  Strongest point of the game.  Thematic unity is an underrated aspect of game design.

+ Solid, retro space sim dogfighting.  Leans on such staples as shield facing, system energy pips, afterburner boosts, and heatseeking/IR missiles.  The space combat has been enjoyable, which is good as that's the backbone of the gameplay.

+ Story campaign is grounded and open-ended.  You're kicked into the world with some very relatable problems for the main character (debt, personal vendetta).   Plot missions are introduced seamlessly as jobs/leads that characters offer you over comms.  But for the most part you're allowed to zip around and do whatever.

My biggest complaint is that the variety of ships and module loadouts is fairly modest.  I capped out on the progression early in the story, though apparently additional ship buys unlock later (I haven't got there yet.)   Still, it's the kind of scope you'd expect of an indie outfit and a thirty dollar game.  Worth it, IMO.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
Thanks for the review. Sounds like what SQ42 was supposed to be :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk