Author Topic: CitizenCon 2949  (Read 8444 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
CitizenCon 2949
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »
ICYMI

CitizenCon 2949 (11/23 @ 13:00 UK)

Blood Beach cosplay (these are grown men btw)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/513392633
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:52:31 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: CitizenCon 2949
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
:emot-lol:

My comment to him

@13:02 I think you lost the plot.

The concept of AI is all about scripted and unscripted behaviors, pattern recog, pathfinding, collision detect & resolution etc. So let me breakdown your gripes and explain - as an AI dev - why you're making much ado about nothing here.

1) The Valkerie spawning on the landing pad is immaterial. It's inconsequential and doesn't matter. Jared's claim of course is false because we didn't see the NPC fly the ship and land; but that doesn't mean it isn't doable seeing as they appear to now have airborne paths
2) The NPC units are doing pathfinding from the bay onto the landing pad - both of which have pre-built (into the models) paths
3) The Valkerie flying away is also following a path - albeit one that's airborne. The ship *is* the AI and not the idiot NPC sitting in the cockpit and who isn't doing shit

NONE of the above matters. What matters is the *illusion* of NPC and AI use in order to create a *believable* narrative.

And yes, this all OLD tech that we've been doing in games since we discovered AI in games. Heck, right now you can go the Universal Combat tab on Steam, look in the mods section, download the modding tools and take a look at ALL my source scripts which I released. They let you do ALL of the above - and even better because unlike most games, my AI system is internal to each entity and very little needs to be scripted. And they learn and adapt over time. In fact, there are no pre-built paths in UCCE because the AI builds them on-the-fly. Or you can just watch this video ( of a UCCE live stream or this video ( of an AAW live stream. Both of these very old games have ALL of the above. It's not new tech.

Aside from that, their new ToW game mode is basically the default Line Of Defense game mode. Which made me lol.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:18:28 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

krylite

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 09:24:33 PM »
Yeah, I'd written FTR off long ago as mostly ignorant of game dev, much less cs or ai subjects. He was on the bandwagon of dissing Elite:Dangerous as a "loser" sim/game to SC along with others ignorant, when in fact FDev has a couple of phd astrophysicists on staff working on ED.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:30:49 PM by krylite »

wiser3754

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 11:06:00 PM »
Yeah, I'd written FTR off long ago as mostly ignorant of game dev, much less cs or ai subjects. He was on the bandwagon of dissing Elite:Dangerous as a "loser" sim/game to SC along with others ignorant, when in fact FDev has a couple of phd astrophysicists on staff working on ED.

People change over time. When 3.0 dropped and FTR was all hyped up after getting an invite to the evocati build his doubts had all been confirmed. Hell even in his last Elite video notifying his subscribers of a huge discount on steam, he was canyon hopping in a viper MK3 with the ship he aptly called 'Derek wuz right'.

People change.

krylite

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 09:51:25 PM »
People change over time. When 3.0 dropped and FTR was all hyped up after getting an invite to the evocati build his doubts had all been confirmed. Hell even in his last Elite video notifying his subscribers of a huge discount on steam, he was canyon hopping in a viper MK3 with the ship he aptly called 'Derek wuz right'.

People change.

This makes me even less inclined to view his videos. Ultimately an ignorant and petulant waffler with little substance trying to get out of looking like a fool with a subpar channel trying later to be on the anti-CIG bandwagon with newer subscribers because he lost most of his old ones, plus not going to forget how much he dissed ED with little regard or awareness of the facts, and even reacted to an earlier comment of mine here with a whole 10 min trollish video while pretending to play ED. Not saying I wish him ill or anything personal and nice to hear he mentioned ED's occasional sale to his current subscribers, but nah, thanks, I'll pass on his flaky channel among the choices out there for news or commentary about space games. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:22:24 PM by krylite »

Bouck

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:29:43 AM »
You should still view the video. You'll be entertained by this dude. haha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk