Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 593331 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Media Musings
« Reply #900 on: December 31, 2018, 06:00:04 AM »
I don't think they're shills: I think they honestly believe the story they're spinning. There are plenty of people in totalitarian countries who believe the truth told to them by their chairman, president, or generalissimo.

But if those numbers are the best they can do in support of their glorious leader, then things really are bad. To have a chance at breaking even, the whale milk must flow at the same rate AND Squadron 42 must outsell Mass Effect 1 by a 2:1 ratio. But, if you look at Destiny's launch, all they need is half of those sales at full price through the CIG website. Of course, Destiny was the #1 new franchise launch of all time and they made the overwhelming amount of sales at retail in the first week. But hey, that just means CIG won't have a huge marketing budget to weigh them down.

Seriously, if the best "everything's fine" take they can come up with involves the company adding more personnel year over year to remedy core deficiencies, a PC-only release generating 3 million full-price retail sales, and a community that hasn't grown significantly in 5 years continuing to pay for development, and all this just to keep afloat, well even the die-hard supporters have to know the ship is sinking.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #901 on: December 31, 2018, 06:00:11 AM »
I never heard of "space4games.com". Doesn't CIG regularly create these kind of fake sites full of boilerplate just to shill for Star Citizen?

Let's check this with ICANN:

Code: [Select]
Domain Name: SPACE4GAMES.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2172563723_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.meshdigital.com
Registrar URL: http://www.meshdigital.com
Updated Date: 2018-09-10T13:57:30Z
Creation Date: 2017-10-10T13:46:11Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-10-10T13:46:11Z

Yep, created exactly at the date of CitizenCon 2017. Nobody "believes" anything here. It's just SEO fakery.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #902 on: December 31, 2018, 06:00:21 AM »
All you really need to know about said article, is that funneling money away wouldn't show on any financial reporting that easily. So the whole Spiel about it showing that all money got into development, is just bullshit. And the crazy part is, you don't need to be a financial or accounting genius to know that. Be it office supplies being given to workers or the misuse of company owned cars for private vacations - not observable in such statements. And it's even more true to something not nessecarily adhering to standards like any-GAAP or IFRS.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #903 on: December 31, 2018, 06:03:14 AM »
A different view on Clod Impervious financials:

https://www.space4games.com/en/star-citizen-en/star-citzen-squadron-42-financials/id-2826/

It's a shill site. Forget about ICANN, go here: https://www.patreon.com/space4games

ps: I relocated a bunch of posts because you put this in the wrong thread; and people kept responding to it. I tend to keep all shilling in its own thread :)

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #904 on: December 31, 2018, 11:14:04 AM »
It's a shill site. Forget about ICANN, go here: https://www.patreon.com/space4games

ps: I relocated a bunch of posts because you put this in the wrong thread; and people kept responding to it. I tend to keep all shilling in its own thread :)

Yeah, my bad.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #905 on: January 28, 2019, 06:17:54 PM »
:emot-lol: Those Red Bull shills are at it again. This one is so cringe-worthy, it beggars belief.

jwh1701

« Reply #906 on: January 28, 2019, 06:23:46 PM »
:emot-lol: Those Red Bull shills are at it again. This one is so cringe-worthy, it beggars belief.

They should have offered services to magic leap, theranos or possible maybe they can help out f76 and shroud with some publicity.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #907 on: January 29, 2019, 12:58:53 AM »

This [3D printed model]  came with a card, it said this is from me and 2 of my 3 sons, the oldest son didn't help...

The oldest son is probably like, why are you spending all the families money on this crap Dad? We didn't go in holiday again this year and Mom has left you. 😂😂😂😂😊

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #908 on: January 29, 2019, 01:23:51 AM »

Careful Derek, your jealousy is showing!

Any press interest recently for LOD?

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #909 on: January 29, 2019, 02:52:29 AM »
No, it isn't.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #910 on: January 29, 2019, 04:00:19 AM »
If DS is jealous of CIG and that is his motivation then just what motivates everyone else? Or is it that this is the leaning tower of Piza? Perhaps thousands of former players came to the conclusion all on their own that something was rotten in Denmark. It certainly seems that day by day more and more people come to the refunds forum hoping for some hope. I doubt they were all swayed by DS. Indeed, I had no idea about this supposed feud when I went in search of a refund. How could that be tied to supposed jealously?

No, It's really simple. The game, the project is, was, and will continue to be a broken mess. The project a pile of lies and half truths with just enough lies to keep the foolish hopeful and enough truth to keep the rest from becoming too suspicious.

It's OK, we are patient. It will collapse upon it's own weight in due time. It's a shame that hundreds or thousands more will get sucked into the CIG malesrom before then without a clue about the truth of the matter. That is until the refund period is over, the neophites realize that all the tips,tricks and PC upgrades wont make this shitshow any better, and only then will they realize what fools they are.

I wonder if Serendipity is actually Shit Robbers?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #911 on: January 29, 2019, 04:25:11 AM »

This again? I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Jealous of what exactly? I'm not the one who has to face the fact that $215m (+$46m) and 7 yrs later, I have neither completed nor delivered two games. Then, after having failed at that, while being unable to get any mainstream publisher or investor to give money (even as 2018 being the largest year in game industry funding), I had to sell my 10% of my company for bailout money.

Any press interest recently for LOD?

I tend to focus on development, as I don't find ANY value in fluff pieces, nor doing things to rip backers off. It's probably why I am still making games because if was doing those things, nobody would be buying my games, thus preventing me from making them over 30 yrs.

Your deflection and whataboutism don't faze me, and NOTHING you can say is going to make Star Citizen / SQ42 any less a train-wreck, nor redeem croberts from being a pretentious incompetent thieving lying hack.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #912 on: January 29, 2019, 04:30:40 AM »
Jealous of the attention, the funding, the fans queueing up to get into a convention for this 'broken mess' of a project, jealous of their ability to secure funding from investors and banking institutions, jealous of their ability to create something that hundreds of thousands of people are excited by, jealous of the thousands playing their game and having fun, jealous of streamers giving free advertising, jealous of the press taking an interest in what they've accomplished.

I mean, I'm fucking jealous of raking in thirty plus million dollars a year and I'm nowhere near the business of making video games.

Maybe I'm just a terrible person.

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #913 on: January 29, 2019, 04:54:02 AM »
My effort post just got eaten by something called Cleantalk.
Testing: is this post coming through?

Edit: great, this short remark comes through but not my proper post  :cry:

Resin

« Reply #914 on: January 29, 2019, 05:06:01 AM »
Jealous of the attention, the funding, the fans queueing up to get into a convention for this 'broken mess' of a project, jealous of their ability to secure funding from investors and banking institutions, jealous of their ability to create something that hundreds of thousands of people are excited by, jealous of the thousands playing their game and having fun, jealous of streamers giving free advertising, jealous of the press taking an interest in what they've accomplished.

I mean, I'm fucking jealous of raking in thirty plus million dollars a year and I'm nowhere near the business of making video games.

Maybe I'm just a terrible person.

So... That’s pretty much same as being jealous of Bernie Madoff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk