Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592056 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #375 on: December 14, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
Polygon update their story which now includes another $16K backer whale taking legal action over their refund

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/13/16767590/star-citizen-refund
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #376 on: December 14, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »
The single most hilarious part of Leonard's broadcast from this morning.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #379 on: December 16, 2017, 03:54:11 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #380 on: December 16, 2017, 06:44:09 AM »
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3243027/gaming/this-week-in-games-crytek-sues-star-citizen-destiny-2-the-dawning-holiday-event-revealed.html

The usual, basically—although they’d better have an ace in the hole, because Crytek’s allegations look pretty foolproof at the moment.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #381 on: December 17, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »
I have always admired & respected SidAlpha for his usual neutral stance on Star Citizen; even 2yrs ago when most people thought I was insane (they didn't get the memo I guess) for suggesting the project was doomed. His latest:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #382 on: December 20, 2017, 05:54:26 AM »
This is well worth the read

CRYTEK V. STAR CITIZEN: A CLOSER LOOK

StanTheMan

« Reply #383 on: December 20, 2017, 08:58:24 AM »
This is well worth the read

CRYTEK V. STAR CITIZEN: A CLOSER LOOK

If I read it correctly, he seems to have missed out sales of JPEGs = sales of the game .. whether or not it has been released. 

CRoberts refers to it as released when he talks about continuous development etc...

I dont think a Jury would have too much difficulty saying hes selling a product and consumers are being ripped off ergo Crytek are being ripped off if they get a percent of sales as part of the contract.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:25:07 AM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #384 on: December 20, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
If I read it correctly, he seems to have missed out sales of JPEGs = sales of the game .. whether or not it has been released. 

CRoberts refers to it as released when he talks about continuous development etc...

I dont think a Jury would have too much difficulty saying hes selling a product and consumers are being ripped off ergo Crytek are being ripped off.

He missed a bunch of things. I highlighted an important one this Twitter thread

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/943471768844500992

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #385 on: December 20, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »
About the copyright issue:

My understanding is that CIG/RSI lost the right to use CryEngine, as they violated their GLA, so they have to delete all copies of it  (including modifications and assets based on it).

Now they seem to try getting around that GLA by importing LumberYard (violating the exclusivity clause).

But - when I understand Copyright law (including case law) correctly - they are tainted. If a CIG/RSI employee touched and modified both engines, you can't prove anymore, that CIG's copy of CryTek's IP ("StarEngine") didn't enter into CIG's copy of LY.

Is is this interpretation correct?

Flashwit

« Reply #386 on: December 20, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »
I believe RSI has an innovative defense available to them. Just claim that the game is such a piece of crap that it actually would have been negative to Crytek to have their logos and wordmarks shown on the splash screen and in marketing. They've actually done them a service by removing it!

N0mad

« Reply #387 on: December 20, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
Bear in mind that in a Limited Liability Company any financial liabilities lie with the company rather than the owners. The simplest solution to make the lawsuit go away is to declare bankruptcy before the lawyers end up forcing you to anyway. I suppose the tell-tale sign of this occurring would be if the Roberts brothers and Ortwin were to start trying to cash out and/or move IP ownership around to try and protect at least some of the assets. Just a theory :)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #388 on: December 20, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
Bear in mind that in a Limited Liability Company any financial liabilities lie with the company rather than the owners. The simplest solution to make the lawsuit go away is to declare bankruptcy before the lawyers end up forcing you to anyway. I suppose the tell-tale sign of this occurring would be if the Roberts brothers and Ortwin were to start trying to cash out and/or move IP ownership around to try and protect at least some of the assets. Just a theory :)

That doesn't always work. Especially with new laws and precedent. That's what "piercing the corporate veil" comes in and which is easy to do depending on what actions the execs took during the company's operations.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #389 on: December 20, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk