Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592618 times)

jwh1701

Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #465 on: January 11, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »
You make a good point it got me thinking how true this is with so many games and it seems to be on the rise.

These clickbait sites always side with the winners. They hype up complete bullshit for years, then suddenly they always knew it was a turd.

Thing that matters most is how many advertisement clicks it will generate, truth is completely irrelevant in this context.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
Looks like @GameTalkLive and @geekyglamorous have a YT channel and posted our Star Citizen interview (which they had on Facebook Live) up there.

As always, the Usual Suspects, otherwise know as the Citizens Defense Force, are in attendance.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2018, 10:38:23 AM »
LOL!! @erikkain is at it again. And what do you know? We made the list at #9

"42 Video Game Predictions For 2018"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/01/11/42-video-game-predictions-for-2018/#751223cd5b1f
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

« Reply #468 on: January 12, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
It's good to see Star Citizen being treated as the big joke that we all know it to be. Hopefully the rest of the gaming industry will start to realise this as well.

Scruffpuff

« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2018, 12:25:26 PM »
It's good to see Star Citizen being treated as the big joke that we all know it to be. Hopefully the rest of the gaming industry will start to realise this as well.

Truth be told the gaming industry proper has been laughing at Star Citizen for a long time now, particularly with how badly they view Chris Roberts (remember that no publisher wanted anything to do with him - he tried to play that off as no interest in space games, but reality was there was no interest in him.)

The interesting thing about gaming media is that there is no governing authority, or even central repository (like the Associated Press or similar) so all these "gaming media" outlets that are so slow to coming around aren't really part of anything official or sanctioned.  All it takes to be part of the gaming media is to put out media related to gaming.  They're not part of the industry, so the ones who are still misreporting this are not relevant in the grand scheme.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #470 on: January 12, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
Jan 18th Game Informer magazine

Aya Reiko

« Reply #471 on: January 13, 2018, 12:18:41 AM »
Jan 18th Game Informer magazine

You know, in a bit of irony, the article "Ugly" section talks about the shut down of Marvel Heroes due to Gazillion Entertainment's collapse.  For those who don't know what "Marvel Heroes" was, it was a MMO Diablo-clone with a Marvel-shaded coat of paint on it.  Here's an article on how much how much that company screwed over it's employees when it all fell apart:
https://kotaku.com/the-last-months-of-gazillion-entertainment-maker-of-ma-1821016486

Hint, hint CiG employees.  That's you in the future, and quite possibly soon.  The whales didn't save that game, they won't save yours.

Wipeout

« Reply #472 on: January 13, 2018, 12:30:40 AM »
Well that really sucks for those employees at Gazillion.  Hopefully they all found new places to work.

Wipeout

« Reply #473 on: January 13, 2018, 05:47:58 AM »
Tried to post this in another thread, but I think it doesn't like links, but tiny url seems to to work.  A moderator at SC refunds Reddit posted this article.

It is a law researcher who works for a law firm point of view on this
https://tinyurl.com/y8373ott

jwh1701

« Reply #474 on: January 13, 2018, 08:09:56 AM »
Finally had time to watch the YouTuber Law video and read cgmagonline all these people on the surface paint a terrible picture for Crytek. Let's just say they are correct it seems so implausible to me that Crytek would have ever agreed to it.  Unless they are incompetent at the highest levels which I have trouble believing.

Tried to post this in another thread, but I think it doesn't like links, but tiny url seems to to work.  A moderator at SC refunds Reddit posted this article.

It is a law researcher who works for a law firm point of view on this
https://tinyurl.com/y8373ott

jwh1701

« Reply #475 on: January 13, 2018, 08:22:01 AM »
Looking over reddit today, interesting post.

They are getting deeper and deeper into debt, debt has doubled over the past 6 months, not just taxes but outstanding loans to private individuals too. Just Foundry 42, not CIG as a whole company but the one tiny dev studio Foundry 42 owes £6.2 million in outstanding debts to various people and the UK tax office. If my legal action to review the UK video game tax breaks gets the go ahead by the courts next month then we could blow a massive hole in that budget because they will suddenly owe £10 million+ backdated tax break claims, with interest.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7pse0k/cig_foundry_42_limited_has_filed_its_6_month/

[–]MaunaLoonaget a refund 4 points 1 day ago

In any case, I don’t think anyone actually wants to torpedo a games studio and make 270 people unemployed via tax law, do they?

Then you never met Juicy.  :lol: I laughed at this but I also do not want anyone unemployed.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:25:24 AM by jwh1701 »

N0mad

« Reply #476 on: January 13, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »
If my legal action to review the UK video game tax breaks gets the go ahead by the courts next month then we could blow a massive hole in that budget because they will suddenly owe £10 million+ backdated tax break claims, with interest.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7pse0k/cig_foundry_42_limited_has_filed_its_6_month/

Whoa, I wonder if that has anything to do with Derek's cryptic "what comes next" tweets ? I seem to remember Juicy_K_Girl popping up in legal threads elsewhere in that forum, I'm guessing she's a lawyer in the UK.

but the same amount of money is disappearing into directors pockets ($2 million per director annually + salary (remuneration) + benefits)

Is this true? Because that sounds like a scam to me.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:54:45 AM by N0mad »

StanTheMan

« Reply #477 on: January 13, 2018, 09:32:55 AM »
Finally had time to watch the YouTuber Law video and read cgmagonline all these people on the surface paint a terrible picture for Crytek. Let's just say they are correct it seems so implausible to me that Crytek would have ever agreed to it.  Unless they are incompetent at the highest levels which I have trouble believing.

It isnt a terrible picture.

Skadden are not involved in this if it were so open and closed.

Skadden have the GLA.

jwh1701

« Reply #478 on: January 13, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
Hello StanTheMan,

I agree with you I just find very odd, reputation is not easy to get back and we have two guys putting it on the line via youtube. This includes all that are ringing alarms which I believe based on evidence have good reason for it. Myself also but in a much smaller way via the my own posts asking questions to SC Supporters.  I only have one desire to see the financials and hope that it moves forward with great expediency.

It isnt a terrible picture.

Skadden are not involved in this if it were so open and closed.

Skadden have the GLA.

StanTheMan

« Reply #479 on: January 13, 2018, 10:34:28 AM »
Hello StanTheMan,

I agree with you I just find very odd, reputation is not easy to get back and we have two guys putting it on the line via youtube. This includes all that are ringing alarms which I believe based on evidence have good reason for it. Myself also but in a much smaller way via the my own posts asking questions to SC Supporters.  I only have one desire to see the financials and hope that it moves forward with great expediency.

Sure but this is why you need lawyers. 

For reasonably intelligent people, it is easy to look at the law and try to interpret it.  It is easy to look at case law and say, hey that bit applies to this case and its a slam dunk.

What actually happens is much more uncertain when you get to areas where opposing sets of lawyers disagree.  Thats why they settle more often than not (the cost of losing is too great and their estimation of the probability of winning is too low to take the risk)

Lawyers rarely get it so wrong that cases get thrown out in the early stages (although it does happen).

These Youtubers are not putting it on the line. 

Lawyers are slippery bastards and it is bread and butter being able to deflect a decision that goes against you (or more likely what Joe Public may claim went against you).   

They are not party to all the documents,  and although we could reasonably assume that these lawyer commentators have taken that into account before making their predictions, they still have hey have very little to lose. 

They also dont represent all lawyers and may easily be appearing to take  a position other lawyers would not, by virtue of the fact that most lawyers dont do youtubes making predictions like this.

It is all confusing ....one reason it is so frustrating if you get involved in the law as a layperson with some brains. 

The law often seems superfluous to all the horse trading that goes on and I swear most lawyers dont understand the law but understand enough to hedge their bets or keep their mouths shut or deflect when the shit hits the fan (it is the same in many professions)

I sat in front of a Barrister here in the UK discussing a case he was representing me on.  My Lawyer also in the room.   

I was being advised to settle at £X.   The reason being that the judge might think I was lying.   This Barrister was about to be appointed judge himself.    He didnt reel off any case law as to why my case might not be as strong as I thought (although there was plenty he could have done) and most of my case didnt hinge on my telling the truth as the facts were established and they led to damages for me. 

My experience in other cases led me to believe despite all the months of analysis by me of the law and settlement values etc, knowledge of my opponents... there was simple truth .. this guy was near as dammit a judge telling me to settle...it was that simple.  I had bee nself representing through several related cases and this one (so I knew a lot and was willing to self represent at trial)

My younger self would have argued with them more, asked for their analysis asked for case law, pointed out a shit load of things I thought were relevant to my case.   

At the end of that meeting i agreed to settle if they gave me 20% more.     They agreed, we all got paid.   I won, my opponent lost.

I could have gone back and said to my Barrister .. look I got 20% on top of what you told me to settle at ..he would possibly have replied ..it was a risk i wouldn't have taken / yes if you'd agreed to settle we would have pushed for a bit more anyway etc etc or more likely , yes well done - aren't you a clever boy !!   Truth is we would never know because the outcome was that uncertain and ina sense we were all right - including my opponents who coughed up without going to trial.

So TLDR

So when all is said and done ... Skadden are here (being paid sure) but they are probably not here because this case is getting chucked out before it has started (they get a lot more $$$$$ as this progresses through the process, settlement or not))   The other side are throwing mud because they have little to lose at this stage.

The commentators have almost nothing to lose and if they are right they can claim to have called it.  Fail and they will have the benefit of the judges decision/reasoning to defend their position (because the judge will be using something else they will claim not to have had or will leave the door open somewhere for them to use in their defence of their prediction)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:58:20 AM by StanTheMan »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk