Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592264 times)

StanTheMan

Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #540 on: January 21, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
Incidentally are there games out there where a game engines logo/branding is on the product splash/credit screens but the engine itself isnt actually used in the published game (but was used in an earlier iteration of the game) ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:48:03 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #541 on: January 21, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »
No.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Penny579

« Reply #542 on: January 22, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
First of all a well written contract should be understandable by a layman, its very purpose is clarify things not require an army of dudes from Harvard to under stand who does what when.

But naturally it isn't CIGs primary business, it could be counted as a side activity, therefore not falling under a non-competition clause - which the clause its written might encompass.

So to make it clear, i'm not saying it is business, but it might be business.

I take your point there may be some legal wizardry that could work around this on technicality. however it would seam nonsensical if it could something dismissed  because it is not a primary activity.  BP and shell sell solar panels but it would be considered a side activity from there oil business so they are not competing with in solar ?

It would be an almost comical stretch of the imagination to think the intent of the clause was "'do become a marketing firm that promotes game engines and promote competing engines''

well maybe because we know how good CIG are at marketing.

They are promoting LumberYard.
They are not "in the business" of promoting an engine.

Just because I bake a loaf of bread does not make me a professional baker. I would not be "in the business" of baking therefore any agreement that requires me to be a professional baker would not be actionable.

No you are in business of baking the moment you receive some consideration for trading bread.  but you can stay at home and bake bread all your like.

Chris could go to the pub every night and tell everyone how great unreal engine is, as long as no one pays him, or unreal does not pay his tab.

what you can't do is go on tv with your new game engine partners and tell the world how great they are for a free star citizen plug.

I agree they will need to prove this in court, but surely you admit this point at least looks to be a up hill battle.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #543 on: January 22, 2018, 08:02:06 AM »
I have unlocked the legal thread. So, going forward, please discuss the lawsuit there.

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.0
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #544 on: January 27, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
In case you haven't seen the latest Star Citizen trailer, which isn't even reflective of the game, read this.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-gets-new-website-and-trailer

jwh1701

« Reply #545 on: January 27, 2018, 08:24:43 AM »
In case you haven't seen the latest Star Citizen trailer, which isn't even reflective of the game, read this.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-gets-new-website-and-trailer

No surprise for me that they would take a lot of time to do the cut scenes just right to make it look like they have a playable game.
Even if a few people are deceived into buying the game it will not keep them afloat. I wonder why its taking so long to get the
ships still listed unavailable on the website, as I know they have to be chomping at the bit to sale more.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:57:41 PM by dsmart »

justme

Re: Star Citizen Media Musings
« Reply #547 on: February 14, 2018, 04:27:43 AM »

after a 30k-backer asked for a refund, because he told he was lied by concierge-support

jwh1701

« Reply #548 on: February 14, 2018, 06:14:33 AM »
after a 30k-backer asked for a refund, because he told he was lied by concierge-support

Be great if this individual would share what transpired with CIG.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #549 on: February 14, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »

wow. they don't even care anymore. I am going to reach out to him to find out what happened. If you know him, please ask him to reach out to me via my Discord channel (invite : https://discord.gg/7nUXA9u)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #550 on: February 20, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
If you missed the latest big news that Star Citizen is no longer an MMO, here is my latest

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6239/

Motto

« Reply #551 on: February 20, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
You might want to change the date under the picture though :-)

CIG DEV, FEB 29th, 2018

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #552 on: February 20, 2018, 01:06:37 PM »
Thanks. Fixed that and added some other pertinent info to the article. You get to read it a second time  :grin:

Motto

« Reply #553 on: February 20, 2018, 01:41:18 PM »
I already did that on SA. And Twitter. You are repeating yourself everywhere now just by copy/paste  :grin:

jwh1701

« Reply #554 on: February 20, 2018, 01:49:52 PM »
If you missed the latest big news that Star Citizen is no longer an MMO, here is my latest

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6239/

Great write up, enjoying getting an understanding of the fundamentals in game design. With all the back tracking its going to get harder to keep saying its taking time since its never been done before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk