Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1315000 times)

Orgetorix

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1080 on: September 08, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »
They're closing the UK office?

No, how I see it, Studio 42 is in reality their main holding, it'll be the center point of any contraction. US holdings go first, pulling back toward their EU holdings, then lights out.

CIG-LA                              // Chris, Sandi, corporate
CIG-TX                              // Chris's friends (e.g. Tony Z et al), tech ops, PU dev
F42-GER                           // CryTek refugees, engine dev
F42-UK (Manchester)         // Chris's brother Erin, SQ42, CS and God knows what else since they're clearly not working on SQ42
F42-UK (Derby)                 // Contingency plan for F42-UK downsizing most likely, since there's NO need for a studio just for face tech

F42-UK is the main and largest studio. Also Chris can escape and stay over there.

All the other studios are 100% expendable, and can be closed.

Which is exactly as I see it also, if they are even able to execute a corporate strategy in this regard.

List of Retraction,

1) Austin
2) LA
3) Germany
4) UK, Derby
5) UK, Manchester

Though as you indicated, they might retract Derby into Manchester 1st, or soon after Austin gets sucked into the blackhole.

I still think in the end it's going to be a high speed cratering event, right into the ground @ Mach 5.

N0mad

« Reply #1081 on: September 08, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
Interesting, they might be able to shed staff over a period of time without raising too many eyebrows but closing a studio would be catastrophic.

I can't believe they'd go that far.

Orgetorix

« Reply #1082 on: September 08, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
Interesting, they might be able to shed staff over a period of time without raising too many eyebrows but closing a studio would be catastrophic.

I can't believe they'd go that far.

And that's precisely the trap they're caught in. I don't see them being able to effect any radical labor force draw downs.

If I had more time, and better vid editing skillz, I'd mock this up with Derek as Green Leader the A-Wing Pilot, and Croberts/CiG as the Super Star Destroyer, and much hilarity would ensue...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1083 on: September 08, 2017, 03:03:39 PM »

No, how I see it, Studio 42 is in reality their main holding, it'll be the center point of any contraction. US holdings go first, pulling back toward their EU holdings, then lights out.

CIG-TX                              // Chris's friends (e.g. Tony Z et al), tech ops, PU dev
F42-UK (Manchester)         // Chris's brother Erin, SQ42, CS and God knows what else since they're clearly not working on SQ42
F42-UK (Derby)                 // Contingency plan for F42-UK downsizing most likely, since there's NO need for a studio just for face tech

F42-UK is the main and largest studio. Also Chris can escape and stay over there.

Which is exactly as I see it also, if they are even able to execute a corporate strategy in this regard.

List of Retraction,

1) Austin
2) LA
3) Germany
4) UK, Derby
5) UK, Manchester

Though as you indicated, they might retract Derby into Manchester 1st, or soon after Austin gets sucked into the blackhole.

I still think in the end it's going to be a high speed cratering event, right into the ground @ Mach 5.

Derby is cheaper than Manchester. Since they are apparently getting a bigger office for Derby, it makes sense if they relocate/fire some of the workforce in Manchester and have a small op in Derby. They could also significantly downsize Manchester and still hang on to it and Derby.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Orgetorix

« Reply #1084 on: September 08, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »
Derby is cheaper than Manchester. Since they are apparently getting a bigger office for Derby, it makes sense if they relocate/fire some of the workforce in Manchester and have a small op in Derby. They could also significantly downsize Manchester and still hang on to it and Derby.

Question I would have to pose is what is the lease agreement on the Manchester studios? I seem to remember seeing posts indicating that they still had multiple years on it, and it wasn't a cheap lease. Either way if they do start to contract it will cost them money to get out of any remaining years they have on the studios they are closing.

Which brings me back to my original hypothesis. I don't think they can contract in an orderly fashion, and still stay solvent. Doing so, in my view, would be a fatal blow to the illusion of progress that they're doing their damnedest to maintain. What we saw at GamesCon '17, and what we'll see at CitizenCon '17, shit shows as they were, and will be. Pale in comparison to layoffs, and public closures
of studios.

I think their first closure will be their final closure, so to speak. I think they know that, and even the dimmest bulb in all the studios, has to be seeing the light, and have that sinking feeling you get in your gut when, you're caught squarely between the hammer, and the digital anvil...

Moeis

« Reply #1085 on: September 08, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »
That's one. Can't wait to see more names and numbers. I'd wish Derek would hurry up with the big reveal. I've had the first mod visit on Reddit and they like to see me gone. I'd love to drop the big one there too  :D

You do realize that people leaving a company is not a sign of anything, right?  I work for one of the most highest rated companies in the world for employee satisfaction, and we still get people who leave on their own volition for various reasons all the while were still very happy with the company they are leaving.
Unless there is some kind of real proof that layoffs are happening, people leaving means nothing at all.

Moeis

« Reply #1086 on: September 08, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »
Is that 5% a year? So in CIGs case we'd be talking 20 leavers a year or so. I think it's considerably fewer than that. Sounds like a very happy workforce overall then. Nice.

Actually a 10% turn over rate is considered a healthy turnover rate, and yes that is per year.
http://www.gallup.com/businessjournal/316/truth-about-turnover.aspx

StanTheMan

« Reply #1087 on: September 08, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »

List of Retraction,

1) Austin
2) LA
3) Germany
4) UK, Derby
5) UK, Manchester

We will know things are really bad if they move their office to Hull.

Moeis

« Reply #1088 on: September 08, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
I really don't see the point in your comments here. "There's no big one", "seems like a nice company with a happy workforce", stuff like that, are all those remarks just to ruffle some feathers? Rattle some cages? See if anyone here takes the bait? Or just trolling a bit?

The thing is, you have absolutely no evidence of the turn-over at CIG. So by stating "I think it's considerably less" you are doing the same thing you accuse Derek of. Pot calling the kettle black kinda thing. The difference being that Derek does have some contacts within CIG and you don't.

It'll be fun to collect all your statements though, you know, after Derek has been proven right.

We have yet seen any proof of Derek Smart having any contacts within CIG.  There is absolutely nothing he has ever said that convinced he ever has.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1089 on: September 08, 2017, 05:30:41 PM »
That's one. Can't wait to see more names and numbers. I'd wish Derek would hurry up with the big reveal. I've had the first mod visit on Reddit and they like to see me gone. I'd love to drop the big one there too  :D

You do realize that people leaving a company is not a sign of anything, right?  I work for one of the most highest rated companies in the world for employee satisfaction, and we still get people who leave on their own volition for various reasons all the while were still very happy with the company they are leaving.
Unless there is some kind of real proof that layoffs are happening, people leaving means nothing at all.

They were not very happy that is why they left.   However, yes, it is normal for people to move jobs for reasons other than they are mightily pissed off with their employer - that just helps.

Moeis

« Reply #1090 on: September 08, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »

They were not very happy that is why they left.   However, yes, it is normal for people to move jobs for reasons other than they are mightily pissed off with their employer - that just helps.

Proof as to why they left?  Or are you just assuming they left because they were not happy?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1091 on: September 08, 2017, 05:33:32 PM »

Question I would have to pose is what is the lease agreement on the Manchester studios? I seem to remember seeing posts indicating that they still had multiple years on it, and it wasn't a cheap lease. Either way if they do start to contract it will cost them money to get out of any remaining years they have on the studios they are closing.

Which brings me back to my original hypothesis. I don't think they can contract in an orderly fashion, and still stay solvent. Doing so, in my view, would be a fatal blow to the illusion of progress that they're doing their damnedest to maintain. What we saw at GamesCon '17, and what we'll see at CitizenCon '17, shit shows as they were, and will be. Pale in comparison to layoffs, and public closures
of studios.

I think their first closure will be their final closure, so to speak. I think they know that, and even the dimmest bulb in all the studios, has to be seeing the light, and have that sinking feeling you get in your gut when, you're caught squarely between the hammer, and the digital anvil...

Downsizing is going to be very challenging and detrimental to the project due to how they have the development spread out. Also, Matt covered this in PTII of his article.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1092 on: September 08, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »

Yup quite true in fact. Except that it's more of an issue when key people leave during active development of a project that's not only three years late, but also not even 15% to completion.

This industry is one of the most difficult to get into. So people don't just leave without a good reason.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:41:57 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1093 on: September 08, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
I really don't see the point in your comments here. "There's no big one", "seems like a nice company with a happy workforce", stuff like that, are all those remarks just to ruffle some feathers? Rattle some cages? See if anyone here takes the bait? Or just trolling a bit?

The thing is, you have absolutely no evidence of the turn-over at CIG. So by stating "I think it's considerably less" you are doing the same thing you accuse Derek of. Pot calling the kettle black kinda thing. The difference being that Derek does have some contacts within CIG and you don't.

It'll be fun to collect all your statements though, you know, after Derek has been proven right.

We have yet seen any proof of Derek Smart having any contacts within CIG.  There is absolutely nothing he has ever said that convinced he ever has.

That's your problem, not mine. And nobody cares, except you guys on /r/ds.

I am not here, and never was here, to convince anyone of anything. I don't control what people do with their money, and I don't care. And I don't care what they choose to believe. That's not my thing, and it never was.

I care about one single thing: vindication (because I know with 100% certainty, that I am right about my assessment) for having been dragged into a shit-storm in which a group of people, mad over a fucking video game, have taken upon themselves to engage in targeted harassment of me, my team, my family, my games etc. All because I wrote a blog.

It's hilarious that with all your heads buried in the sand, even as most everything I write about, coming true (even as you guys ignore them until they happen), this notion of "sources", is all you guys care about. As if that's somehow important. Whether I have sources or not, or just making shit up on the fly, it's all irrelevant because the project is on the decline, is the industry laughing stock, is an on-going active scam, and stands NO chance of EVER becoming a reality.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:42:57 PM by dsmart »

Motto

« Reply #1094 on: September 08, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »

We? Do speak for yourself. It's one thing that you don't believe that, it's another to declare that for all of us. I know that Derek has inside contacts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk