Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1380022 times)

Flashwit

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1290 on: October 06, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »
Excellllent   :f5: :f5:

JoeBloggs

« Reply #1291 on: October 07, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »
Look at lines 53-68 in that diff, both weeks, under the subtitle "Crashes".

Those crashing bugs ... from the method names they're all over the place and in reasonably low level stuff that's exercised all the time, e.g.,

• CEntityComponentSystem::UnregisterComponent,
  • CSCActorControlStateUsable::QueueIdle,
  • CGameRules::PrecacheList,
  • PersistenceCache::CCacheMsgHandler::SetChildrenRootParentRecursive.

There's like 30 of these crashes fixed in the last 2 weeks alone!

So

• it's amazing they have this many crashes in foundation level code at this stage, not to mention right when they're supposed to be shipping to Evocati ...
  • it's no wonder they can't keep a system running for more than a few minutes ...
  • how many are left to fix in their bug queue?
  • to those who say that we, out here, don't know game development: Unit tests, anyone? Again, these are low-level methods!

Well... there's a possible reason for that.

If you're making modifications to the Game-Engine, you need to ask for the vendor's (Cryengine) test-cases.

Look like they didn't ship the sources with test-cases. Or they did ship test-cases, and never updated.
From the looks of those bug-reports, they look like junior-level developer bugs that can be easily fixed.

If Amazon Cryengine developers can fix and modify 70% of CryEngine, why can't the developers at RSI/CIG do so?

Also, I'm surprised nobody think about 80-bit, 128-bit long-float. Did anyone know that multiplying 64-bit causes precision?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_precision#x86_Extended_Precision_Format

Did anyone not notice this? The CPU internally supports 80-bit precision for 64-bit floats. In order to store 64-bit correctly, you need to use CPU-native C++ types.

If you just save/load in 64-bits, you're gonna cause small rounding errors that will screw-up the real-time physics engine.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:07:36 PM by JoeBloggs »

N0mad

« Reply #1292 on: October 08, 2017, 12:45:16 AM »
If you just save/load in 64-bits, you're gonna cause small rounding errors that will screw-up the real-time physics engine.

Also true for the industry standard 32 bit float values but small errors are manageable when dealing with small maps (which can still be the equivalent of multiples of kilometres in size).

If you want to screw up Physics then I'd imagine the best way to do it is with moving station physics grids. Fair play if they can make it work but since CIG made a Gamescom demo with ramps which killed players then I'd guess not.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:46:50 AM by N0mad »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1293 on: October 08, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1294 on: October 09, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

« Reply #1295 on: October 10, 2017, 12:00:15 AM »
$160M

Sometimes a video says more than a thousand Reddit threads.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ecg

« Reply #1296 on: October 10, 2017, 01:17:14 AM »
$160M

LMAO - but the SCultists will still manage to put a positive spin on it. Cause that is what they do best.

N0mad

« Reply #1297 on: October 10, 2017, 01:41:54 AM »
LMAO - but the SCultists will still manage to put a positive spin on it. Cause that is what they do best.

Since the Shills are banned I will attempt to guess what their response might be to get some discussion going:

You guys are all idiots, it's a pre-alpha and bugs are normal. Derek is completely wrong, I don't see any evidence that CIG are in any trouble whatsoever they are clearly keeping all the promises they made over the 3.0 Jesus patch release.

Derek is just plain wrong if he thinks that 6 years and $160 million is enough to make the most highly fidelicious real life simulator known to mankind -  they need lots more time and money.

Derek Smart is wrong. I bet Derek Smart wishes he could create a game like this. Don't believe anything Derek says. Derek is in a fantasy world. Derek is going to eat his words when it becomes the BDSSE. Derek is so wrong about everything.

And, by the way, I only have a passing interest in Star Citizen. I hardly ever look at any forums about the game. I think I have a fairly realistic and balanced opinion about the game, unlike Derek Smart, who is always wrong.

I think that would be in the ball park for his response.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1298 on: October 10, 2017, 04:57:52 AM »
I think that would be in the ball park for his response.

That's a pretty good summary.

As for those clowns over there, they're still seeing trees where there are rocks in the forest; and all it took was on janky video to get them to forget all about 3.0 and look to the future ----> 4.0  :laugh:

Motto

« Reply #1299 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:57 AM »
The only really good thing from those remarks is that they are actually preventing new people from spending money now on this train-wreck. It would be worse if they were saying, yeah, 3.0 is your money worth. It's a shame not more people can enjoy the crap that 3.0 is at the moment. They're still going into Shitizen Con with high hopes about progress being made. If they could experience first handed that 3.0 basically is 2.6.3.x - after almost one and a half year after Chris said they were getting there - that would hurt the sales really hard. As it should.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1300 on: October 10, 2017, 05:49:23 AM »
3.0.0b is out to Evocati. The patch notes (that's not public yet, so you won't be able to login) are truly hilarious. It will be exported and on Pastebin shortly.

Here's the thing. The same shit they did with the original 3.0.0 and the 3.0.0a (which came after the weekend release) is what they've done again with this one. You can't tell wtf they've fixed or addressed because there is no distinction between what they fixed now, before, or what is still an issue. They just lump everything in there to make it look like, well, I dunno really what they were going for there. Not to mention the fact that they listed items which they are claiming is already implemented, but as of yesterday, 93% of what they claim is in 3.0, isn't actually IN these builds.

Also, when you consider this bullshit:

"We're expecting many new players so we wanted to make sure the [3.0] user experience is *really good*. So we've decided to spend more time optimizing and polishing then we have for recent releases"

...you have to wonder wtf they're actually talking about. There are currently over 3000+ bugs in Issue Council for 2.6.3. And with this 3.0, it's safe to say that there are going to be thousands more - which will probably never be fixed. They will get it to "good enough", then fuck off to go do something else that's about making money from whales.

As I've said before, most times, half the shit they show to backers, is all made to generate hype, running local (like at the shows) client/server, or in an editor. Which means that the live experience will be totally different, and complete rubbish.

Here's the example of the Nox parking in the Cutlass.

ATV (July 2017):

3.0 Evocati (Oct 2017):

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ChubbyLargeGossamerwingedbutterfly

It's all shit. They really just rushed this build out to Evocati because of CitizenCon, which is probably when they plan to release it to the PTU.

Quote from: toanoradian" post="477237959
Derek, do you see them releasing a further revision of 3.0, like, 3.0.0c just to keep their promise of 3.0 being that really good one?

Maybe 4.0 isn't the Jesus Patch, but just 3.0.0.1.

Oh most definitely. I believe that 3.0x is the end of the line. They're going to keep refactoring and iterating until the wheels come off. There's so much they promised for 3.0, that it will take another 3-4 years to complete it -  before they even start thinking about 4.0.

If they DO survive the next few months, they will do what they've always done. That being, implement the promised features which they can, walk back or ignore those they can't, then leave them in a buggy state. Which is how we get 3000+ bugs currently in 2.6.3. But they're promoting shiny new things in 3.0 which are just the same rubbish that's never getting fixed.

1) Performance is still shit. And it got worse with this build, and it's only going to get even worse when MORE people are able to play it.

2) Netwworking is still shit. But we already knew that. And back when I said they'd be fucking dumb to touch this shit at this point, some people thought I was mad. Until they removed the critical aspects of this from the dev schedule. We've now experienced the results in 3.0 - and they're NEVER going to be able to fix it. It's too late, and they're too far gone. 1000+ client MMO? Fuck you, and get off my ship!

3) Physics is still shit; but somehow they managed to make it a LOT worse in 3.0.

4) The much touted Subsumptionm AI is NON-FUCKING-EXISTENT. It's just scripted NPCs hanging around, glitching, and doing fuck all but taking up space and impacting performance even more.

5) Mission givers don't work. Oh you want a mission, do you? Go ask Miles over there. Assuming he's at the fucking table, and not floating off 20 feet away - glass in hand.

6) The much touted "planetary tech" is as underwhelming as it is mindboggingly boring. And it's buggy as hell. And barren. The one location, Levski, is an absolute slideshow. And that's with just you and the environment.

And that's with two fucking moons and an asteroid. So much for this:

7) UI, well, I don't even know about that one. But then again, not that I am the one to talk; after all I'm the guy who develops games with the most ridiculous UI, you need to be on the autism spectrum to comprehend it. And that fucking ESC key, man. :negative:

8) There is absolutely NOTHING worth doing in 3.0. Seriously, NOTHING. When backers get this, assuming they can get in a ship, fly to a planet, and enter it - the spectacle will be over in all of 20 mins. Guaranteed. Then, the streamers are going to be doing the same repetitive bullshit for weeks on end because, well, they have nothing.

It's all still a glorified $160M tech demo that's not even a vertical slice, if you can believe that.

What Evocati are now seeing in 3.0 is PRECISELY the bane of these types of games. They're fucking DULL AND BORING if you don't have people to play with, or a robust AI and mission system for solo engagements.

And in 3.0, good fucking luck finding anyone. There could be 8 clients in your instance, and you'd NEVER see them. And when you do, there's NOTHING to do because there is no "game". Six fucking years later.

Even ED suffers from this same thing, and that's why those who don't like it, call it boring. And the funny thing is, you could be peddling rubber dog shit for hours in ED, and get some "fun" from it because everything is just so well put together. Even in my BC/UC games; I spent DECADES developing and improving revolutionary AI (check out my recent 6hr live stream) to alleviate this problem - specifically. Which is why I never even bothered to spend too much time with multiplayer for those games.

This is an absolute travesty. I don't care what anyone says, they've basically blown through all this money, spent all this time - and have this shit to show for it.

I have said it before, I will say it again: someone is going to jail over this because there is NO way on Earth they get away with this. And a bunch of ass-clowns are parked on Reddit creating bullshit theory-crafting threads, instead of inquiring about where the money has gone.

A year ago today, this is a 50K upvoted thread on Reddit over proof-of-concept that a year later is still nothing more than a pipe dream.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:52:12 PM by dsmart »

Greggy_D

« Reply #1301 on: October 10, 2017, 06:56:33 AM »

ERRRRRRLEEEEEEEE  AKKKSESSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!

N0mad

« Reply #1302 on: October 10, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
3.0 Evocati (Oct):

Well that didn't last long.
"Star Citizen ..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by MIchael Emmons.

By the same logic, then perhaps he should lodge copyright claims against ALL Star Citizen videos on YouTube (he'll be busy!). I'm sure YouTube will see sense and reinstate it.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1303 on: October 10, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
Yeah, I just updated the link with a Goon copy of it.

Motto

« Reply #1304 on: October 10, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »
Well, you could always join them. They're hiring  :dance:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk