Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1380090 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1800 on: February 13, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
The latest episode of Guard Frequency, which was apparently recorded prior to CIG's latest filing, has lengthy discussions about Star Citizen and the lawsuit in response to listener comments.

http://guardfrequency.com/199

- Discussion begins at 57:52.
- Tony invokes Enron at 1:00:05.
- Ortwin's position in the GLA negotiations at 1:02:25.
- At 1:05:10, Tony clearly has an unfavorable opinion of CIG's legal maneuvering to date.
- DEREK SMART DEREK SMART DEREK SMART is discussed from 1:06:32-1:09:47.

LOL! That tool, TheRealGremlich, who used to have a Twitter profile of me with a giant dildo until Twitter made him remove it, wrote a letter to the GF guys.

FF to 1:04:29

https://guardfrequency.com/200

Transcript courtesy of SomethingJones

Host:
Ok, now we get to the good stuff. Gremlich writes in and says,

Hmmm... this is close to yellow card. I'm not gonna throw the yellow card at this because he uses really GOOD WORDS. Those are some good words there but I do wanna say that, ah... I'm... when we first contacted him that whole 1990s flame war thing was foremost in my mind, but... he's OLDER, maybe a little WISER now, and again I've had reasonable adult level conversations with him on multiple occasions, so I DO think he has things to offer, for good or for bad he has MADE A LIVING IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY for 30 years.

Maybe his titles aren't the best and maybe you don't want to play them and I can't say that I've played any of them with the exception of 3000AD, which broke constantly and made me swear at him in the 1990s - like many other people... but again, he's been in the trenches and he's been doing this stuff and he has in my view improved his credibility over the 2 years or so that he's been commenting publically on this issue.

Host:
You know I will say that I think Mister DS has calmed down a little bit I think from his early hay-day of Star Citizen hatred, most of his stuff is mostly about... if you follow him on Twitter now, it's mostly about the case coverage and stuff like that. And while I certainly don't share some of his opinion on the technical side, I'm not a game developer myself but I do have a technical background that overlaps with this field... you know, I understand where he's coming from, and while I don't agree with him I understand why he's doing it to some degree and I don't think this is as malicious as some people think.

But then again, at the same time, you know... for whatever reason he seems to be literate in interviews and incendiary in his online presence. I guess that's the best way to put it.

So, like... I don't agree with him in any way, shape or form on MANY of his views, but I don't think he is a... I don't think he's an idiot.

Host:
And if Guard Frequency and Derek Smart can have a conversation about stuff, the rest of the world should be able to have a conversation that we disagree on.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:05:25 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1801 on: February 13, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »
LOL! That tool, TheRealGremlich, who used to have a Twitter profile of me with a giant dildo until Twitter made him remove it, wrote a letter to the GF guys.

FF to 1:04:29

https://guardfrequency.com/200

Transcript courtesy of SomethingJones

What is his technical background such that he thinks it trumps yours ?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1802 on: February 14, 2018, 04:39:08 PM »
What is his technical background such that he thinks it trumps yours ?

Internet shitposter, apparently.  :yikes:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dithero

« Reply #1803 on: February 15, 2018, 04:40:30 AM »
Something.. interesting.. happened the other week.

I received a marketing email from CIG notifying me about the opportunity to check out Star Citizen by purchasing some fake space ships or whatever.

I did not think much of it at the time and just hit 'spam' to get rid of it and any future unsolicited emails.

The thing is though, I am not, never have been, nor have any intention of being a backer customer of CIG. I had seen the kickstarter back in 2014 and since they already had enough money to make the game, decided to wait until it is released to check out reviews first. I may or may not have given my email to be updated when that happens, I honestly do not remember.

Never the less, CIG seem to be sending marketing emails spam to non-backers urging them to buy in to their fire sale. So much for not needing any more money.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1804 on: February 15, 2018, 05:00:07 AM »
Something.. interesting.. happened the other week.

I received a marketing email from CIG notifying me about the opportunity to check out Star Citizen by purchasing some fake space ships or whatever.

I did not think much of it at the time and just hit 'spam' to get rid of it and any future unsolicited emails.

The thing is though, I am not, never have been, nor have any intention of being a backer customer of CIG. I had seen the kickstarter back in 2014 and since they already had enough money to make the game, decided to wait until it is released to check out reviews first. I may or may not have given my email to be updated when that happens, I honestly do not remember.

Never the less, CIG seem to be sending marketing emails spam to non-backers urging them to buy in to their fire sale. So much for not needing any more money.

Yeah, they started doing that back in Dec. It appears as if they bought a mailing list and now spamming people looking for new customers.

dithero

« Reply #1805 on: February 15, 2018, 06:41:26 AM »
Yeah, they started doing that back in Dec. It appears as if they bought a mailing list and now spamming people looking for new customers.

Smacks of desperation. As if, somehow even after world record crowd funding collections, yet more money is desperately needed.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - General
« Reply #1806 on: February 15, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
Thing is that anybody who is remotely interested in the game, has already heard of it, and/or bought in. With all the bad PR, and the horrible mess that the project is in, they're not going to be able to increase their install base to any reasonable degree.

dithero

« Reply #1807 on: February 15, 2018, 08:35:44 AM »
Thing is that anybody who is remotely interested in the game, has already heard of it, and/or bought in. With all the bad PR, and the horrible mess that the project is in, they're not going to be able to increase their install base to any reasonable degree.

Hm, I had thought the same but would not be so sure. There are still people that see the tech demos and go 'This looks like a great game'. Most mainstream media do not report on the bad PR, or the fact that nothing that has been shown is actually in the game, other than for major news like the lawsuit.

The BBC ran many articles on SC back in 2014 and 2015 (last one from Feb 2016 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35555086 - mentions SQ42 coming out 'this year') and nothing since other than news of the lawsuit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42352606

This lack of information and lack of follow up on the previously positive reports contributes to people buying in unaware of the facts and the mainstream media is directly responsible for a lot of that wasted money.

Sadly, nothing will be done until such time that CIG finally admit defeat and the lawsuits from their customers start flowing. Though I strongly suspect there are plans in place for that eventuality and customers will find it very difficult to track down the right shell company to sue.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1808 on: February 15, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »
Not really. We are not in the times where gamers just buy a game without doing research. So even though they probably will get some people to give them $45 for a game, the price alone, not to mention the genre (space combat), are already barriers of entry.

Note also that if they weren't aware of this problem, they wouldn't be using every trick in the scam book to continue fleecing their pre-existing backers, nor using marketing mailing lists to send out spam.

dithero

« Reply #1809 on: February 15, 2018, 10:17:15 AM »
Yes, absolutely. It's just that.. there is apparently money coming in from somewhere, so who is still giving that money?

Following the everyone that would have bought into it already has logic, the company should have ran out of cash a couple years ago already but it has not. So what gives?

Sure, the tracker can not be taken at face value but from what financial data has been released in the UK there is at least some cash flow, enough to cover expenses for 4+ offices.

N0mad

« Reply #1810 on: February 15, 2018, 02:45:19 PM »
Good to see the Reddit getting excited about the new concept sale ship - spend more folks, they're going to need it!

I'm just waiting for the meltdown when they realise it's all going to go into legal fees rather than game development when the Crytek case doesn't get dismissed. By that logic CIG had better start selling it soon before the judge makes a decision.  :laugh:

"The Vulcan is the jack of all trades starter ship for these professions. It does repairing, it does refuelling and it does rearming, which is something we don't have in any ship currently."

No shit, because NONE of those mechanics is in the game yet, nor will be.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:50:09 AM by N0mad »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1811 on: February 15, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
New JPEG sale. The Aegis Vulcan. Currently exclusive to whales only.  :vince:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:21:03 AM by dsmart »

premiumnugz

« Reply #1812 on: February 16, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »
God they just keep shamelessly pumping shit out, its unbelievable.

N0mad

« Reply #1813 on: February 16, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
There used to be a time where they put some effort into concept sale Jpegs - they used to be shiny and cool looking ships, usually doing something exciting in the picture. Now, they can't even be bothered with that anymore - the Vulcan looks like shit. CIG really need to get their act together quickly before they end up in the discovery phase of the Crytek courtroom drama.

Or perhaps they've given up, the upper management have skimmed off enough cash to retire on and they're just waiting for the inevitable collapse.

Flashwit

« Reply #1814 on: February 16, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
I guess it really is true. It's way easier to just invent jpeg ships that have imaginary capabilities and sell them for ridiculous sums instead of actually putting stuff in the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk