Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1316956 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - General
« Reply #1815 on: February 16, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
I guess it really is true. It's way easier to just invent jpeg ships that have imaginary capabilities and sell them for ridiculous sums instead of actually putting stuff in the game.

Yes. That's pretty much it. NONE of the gameplay mentioned for this ship exists. And there is NO indication that they EVER will.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1816 on: February 16, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »
I guess it really is true. It's way easier to just invent jpeg ships that have imaginary capabilities and sell them for ridiculous sums instead of actually putting stuff in the game.

So of all the professions and associated ship capabilities that CIG have sold...what do we actually have atm ?

Grabby hands / cargo --- so you can be a trucker

What else ?

David-2

« Reply #1817 on: February 16, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »
Yes. That's pretty much it. NONE of the gameplay mentioned for this ship exists. And there is NO indication that they EVER will.

You know, there's a thing in selling a business to another business called "goodwill".  It's an intangible, but it has value.

I wonder if that's what CIG is really selling to consumers.  Some kind of intangible.  Maybe not "goodwill", but "good times".  And I'm not talking about JPEGs.  I'm talking about the hours and hours and hours of absolutely fine theorycrafting and argumentation that backers enjoy on reddit and youtube.

I mean, we're here all focused on non-delivery of a game but maybe we're the ones who are blind.  Maybe we need a different frame.  CIG's sold $175M of talking in the last 6 years, while keeping 100s of talented people employed doing ... well, whatever they're doing ...

And don't get hung up on the fact that they claim to be selling a game when they're actually just selling a nice bunch of topics for people to chew the fat over.  After all, Mazda says they're selling "Zoom Zoom" but everybody knows they're just selling cars to take you to the store or work and nobody minds that.

And that's why it doesn't matter that this "ship" is for "gameplay" that doesn't exist nor is there sign it will ever exist in the "game".  The theorycrafting is running wild right now, and that's what they're actually selling.  Those backers over there are having great fun, and we're over here missing the point.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1818 on: February 16, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
Well they are selling dreams. So.  :c00lbert:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

« Reply #1819 on: February 16, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »
Those backers over there are having great fun, and we're over here missing the point.

Actually, I think we're having fun here because we understand that point.

The idiots on Reddit are under the impression that all their theories will be in the game one day.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1820 on: February 16, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
Actually, I think we're having fun here because we understand that point.

The idiots on Reddit are under the impression that all their theories will be in the game one day.

Yes. And that's precisely why the incoming catastrophe is going to be so hilarious.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1821 on: February 17, 2018, 05:58:18 AM »
Ho Lee Crap!! I don't even...

Where we're going, we don't need no stinkin' design docs

6 yrs later; they still have no frigging clue.

Motto

« Reply #1822 on: February 17, 2018, 06:15:54 AM »
They just want to keep all options open because they have no way of how to make from the game in the long run. And it really doens't matter anymore, they are dead already. They just have to die, that's all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:47:46 AM by Motto »

N0mad

« Reply #1823 on: February 17, 2018, 06:29:04 AM »
It's hilarious. I feel sorry for Lando, this lack of clarity about such a simple issue is due to incompetence from the very top.

jwh1701

« Reply #1824 on: February 17, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »
Ho Lee Crap!! I don't even...

Where we're going, we don't need no stinkin' design docs

6 yrs later; they still have no frigging clue.

The game is still alpha so we cannot get them to much of a hard time for not having nailed down such a complex game mechanic as player death. CIG is doing things that have never been done before like player death and will take time to get it right.

It would be so much easier just to spout this nonsense then try and keep trying to inform people of the truth. Sometimes I want to post this in spectrum over and over like a mindless drone to every question from backers to see what would happen. I'm constantly mystified by these threads that they do not blink and eye over such poor project management. In cig videos I routinely see what appears to be game / programming flow charts, it makes me wonder are these even real or just backer eye candy.

jwh1701

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

jwh1701

« Reply #1827 on: February 18, 2018, 08:32:39 AM »
It's nonsense. We're actually discussing this right now on SA.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3770#post481388819

Thank you for the link they seem to believe its all lies as well. My thoughts are why would they risk lying on something that might could be verified?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1828 on: February 18, 2018, 09:57:20 AM »
Thank you for the link they seem to believe its all lies as well. My thoughts are why would they risk lying on something that might could be verified?

LOL!! You are aware that they are used to being lied to, right?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:12:23 AM by dsmart »

N0mad

« Reply #1829 on: February 18, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »
Actually, I think Trump could learn a thing or two from Chris Roberts - at least Chris's lies are believable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk