Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1315160 times)

Ghostmaker

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #270 on: May 16, 2017, 05:23:28 AM »

ps: Line Of Defense does not have seamless space<->planetary transitions because 1) the bases on the planets are all handcrafted 2) they needed to be separate so that our networking tech can better handle "per scene" updates, and thus be able to handle a large number of players. Mass Effect: Adromeda also does it this way.

Empyrion: Galactic Survival does not do 'seamless' transition either (though it tries); there's a definite (albeit brief) load time between transitioning from space to planet or planet to space.

Still, it lets you build your own spacecraft and bases, and at least it admits it's still in Early Access.

Lir

« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2017, 05:52:01 AM »
The recently unveiled female character model from a $148 million "game"

Uh. OK.

First off, why make her so damn plain? Realism is one thing, but most of us play games to get away from reality for a while. Why give her bags under her eyes and a face just born for frowns?

Also, the body proportions look... off. Like her legs are too short. I know, the image cuts her off at the ankles, but still. Might be a result of that though, so we'll table that objection.

The outfit looks ridiculous. The pants and jacket over top are okay, but what's with the thumb-only gloves? What the heck are THOSE supposed to be?

Maybe I'm just being a shallow guy, but I'd like my female models to at least look mildly cute or maternal. This just looks like the definition of 'cranky cat lady'.

They might have pulled those off a Cry(lumberyard? who knows who cares) stock library or something and place that model in that scenery for the occasion. I'm kidding, but the sad thing is that may well be true lol.

Edit : oh lol havent seen its a goon make up this toon seems from Fallout4
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:03:57 AM by Lir »

Flashwit

« Reply #272 on: May 16, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »
This is a real thread apparently made unironically

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6bforh/procedurallygenerated_meals_for_mess_hall/

This is where we're at I guess.

StanTheMan

« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »
This is a real thread apparently made unironically

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6bforh/procedurallygenerated_meals_for_mess_hall/

This is where we're at I guess.

I cant post there as I am banned.

They should be discussing procedurally generated cash in the real world to pay for the games development.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:16:55 PM by StanTheMan »

mixalot

« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »
The problem is that Roberts isn't a perfectionist. He wants to be one and constantly uses the word 'fidelity' in every interview to make it come across that way, but he can't pull it off. He's just not smart enough.

Nothing about the current iteration of any of SC's in-game modules, ship sales, lore, forums, or whathaveyou has any semblance of perfection. They're all half-broken, glitched tech demos that have half of their features/concepts broken.

Now it looks like he can't even get basic character creation right.

StanTheMan

« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2017, 03:48:36 PM »
The problem is that Roberts isn't a perfectionist. He wants to be one and constantly uses the word 'fidelity' in every interview to make it come across that way, but he can't pull it off. He's just not smart enough.

Nothing about the current iteration of any of SC's in-game modules, ship sales, lore, forums, or whathaveyou has any semblance of perfection. They're all half-broken, glitched tech demos that have half of their features/concepts broken.

Now it looks like he can't even get basic character creation right.

Indeed.  A perfectionist in his position would be able to project manage, would never have appointed their wife as VP Marketing, would not be lying at every convention and to every interviewer etc..

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »

And they're going to be skimming an additional $5 off the top of CCU accounts now. Wait until those people who have cheap $30 ships with LTI (for CCU down the road), find out they have to pay $5 more to upgrade. LOL!!

But don't worry though; this is totally not a scam; and according to those guys on Reddit, they have about $85 million in the bank :D :D :D

So following the CCU uproar, they've decided to revise that plan. And somehow they made it worse. Now instead of charging, they're just going to expire them. LOL!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/spaceship-prices/175177

This quote from SA pretty much covers the most egregious parts of that:

There is also a potential design issue related to the number of ships in the universe at launch. We are getting to the point where we need to drill down deeper on things like ship rarity, overall dispersion and the like. When we don’t know how many ships may be present at launch, this makes it much more difficult. The implications there are far-reaching: if Carracks are the most popular ship then we need to put more resources on exploration… if Buccaneers are everywhere then we need to build missions that will be challenging and fun for Bucc pilots. It’s something that touches every part of Star Citizen.

I feel like the guys who have gone back on their promise of "We'll never sell this ship again" several times to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars don't get to suddenly start being worried about artificial rarity on some of their spaceship jpegs. That boat sailed when CIG decided to reopen sales on limited ships like five  years ago. Also, taken literally, this paragraph implies that they're doing away with the mantra of "no best ship" and plan on weighting the number and type of missions in the final game (lol) to appease owners of whatever the most common ship is, which is  hilarious. I hope everyone's ready for Ace Combat: Worse And In Space, because fighters are far and away the most popular ships in the game, because CIG keeps selling more/better versions of them.

Also, there's no way this doesn't start a firestorm:

The second part is longer term, but very important: we will plan for a process to expire the unused $0 CCUs from the system. We want existing CCUs to be used as intended: to pick a ship that works for you, and not as a permanent ‘anything goes’ option. This will not happen immediately, but as we approach 3.0 it will be an important part of this process. And we want you to know in advance that this is coming.

Some people (most people, by Zyloh's own admission) have been holding on to CCU tokens with the intent to use them for the purpose they were meant for - as the game comes together you can figure out which ship best fits your playstyle and CCU to that to make your "final decision." People who have no idea how the  a Reclaimer is going to work but think they might want to mine, for example. They're doing this because CIG told them to, and now CIG is taking that option away before all the ships or mechanics are even in the game.

Cross Chasis Upgrade (CCU) explained:

Basically you can upgrade from one ship to another. And if you have a CCU token, it used to be free. Last week they started charging $5 to do it. Now they are going to expire them instead.

More here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ship-upgrades

And here: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4b404k/psa_how_to_use_the_ccu_ship_upgrade_system_and/

The key to it all is that you can only CCU to a ship that's currently in-game.

Let's say CIG has ships A,B,C, and D on sale in-store ready to go. You buy Ship A, but can buy a "token" to change Ship A to any of the other ships. The token costs whatever the difference is in the price of the ships, and you get to keep all the other widgets that originally came with your Ship A (LTI, Alpa access, etc...). You can buy this token, but it's not used immediately on purchase, because maybe you decide you like Ship A after all, or whatever. Who knows.

Later on, CIG announces that they are going to be making ships E,F, and G. You really want Ship G instead of Ship D, but you want to keep your LTI, so you wait and wait and wait until it gets put in the game, and CCU your Ship D to a Ship G. That's how they're supposed to be used.

Now let's say you really really want Ship D, but you want it with LTI and they're no longer offering it. They are however offering a concept sale on Ship E and it comes with LTI. You buy Ship E - still in concept - then spend dollars to CCU it to Ship D - already in game - now with LTI even though they stopped "selling" Ship D with LTI three years ago.

NOW, let's say you think you're gonna want a Ship D way down the line, but you're not sure. So you buy a bunch of tokens for each of your ships to turn them into Ship D just in case you want to way down the line. You hold on to them, eventually they put Ship D in the game but it's twice as big and $100 more than it cost when you bought the CCU tokens. The token's value doesn't change, because it allows a straight trade and you paid the difference in value at time of purchase. So now you can take your Ship A and turn it into a Ship D for $100 less than it's currently selling for, AND you still have your LTI and game package and alpha access. Even better news, LTI Ship Ds are selling on the marketplace for $100 more than they're selling for on CIG's website, so if you sell it you're up 200 bucks. So in this case it's absolutely in your best interest to just stockpile CCUs to EVERY ship possible on the off chance you decide you want one or it triples in size and price and you can make some money.

They built an insanely shitty system and now they're mad at their users for min/maxing it.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2017, 07:22:41 PM »
When they can't forsee the problems they create with CCUs what chance in hell do they have to foresee the ways people will make use of the PU  in ways players and CIG find objectionable ?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2017, 04:53:11 AM »
When they can't forsee the problems they create with CCUs what chance in hell do they have to foresee the ways people will make use of the PU  in ways players and CIG find objectionable ?

Well in all fairness, seeing as the game stands no chance of ever getting completed, let alone coming out, there is no need to play ahead for such trivial things.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2017, 06:23:05 AM »

Narrenbart

« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2017, 07:26:06 AM »
[...]
Also, the body proportions look... off. Like her legs are too short. I know, the image cuts her off at the ankles, but still. Might be a result of that though, so we'll table that objection.
[...]
Anatomically female legs are indeed shorter than male legs, this is a fact that is often forgotten because the industry sells products to make them appear longer.
If you attend a drawing course this is one of the first things you'll learn here.

Well this female modell is bland as hell - download Daz3D and you can create a better one in seconds and export it as FBX (With bones and blend shapes).

BigM

« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:30 AM »
I believe the model is perfect, it has captured a lot of Sandi and I can see where the designer made the model look just a tiny bit better looking.

All I have to say on that!  :smug:

mixalot

« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »
I believe the model is perfect, it has captured a lot of Sandi and I can see where the designer made the model look just a tiny bit better looking.

Ha, great post.

I think they used the mo-cap tech on Sandi to scan her body then tried to touch it up and add more 'fidelity' to her.

Narrenbart

« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »

Ha, great post.

I think they used the mo-cap tech on Sandi to scan her body then tried to touch it up and add more 'fidelity' to her.
That's not how it works :)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2017, 06:15:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/865191926089347072

LOL!! please read the LumberYard Starter Game notes and see if you recognize any of the hand-waving nonsense croberts were spouting last year; long before he even told anyone they were going to switch to LumberYard.

It's hilarious to me when I think about it. Back in a July 2015 blog I said:

1) They can't build the game promised. So far, with all the stuff they've cut or botched, this is playing out to be true. In year six, they still don't even have 25% of one game, let alone two games. And they had a delivery date of Nov 2014, with a 12, then 18 month cure period to May 2016. Even though croberts had said numerous times that increased stretch goals won't affect the delivery timeline.

2) Even if they could do #1, they'd need a stellar team to pull it off. Well, here we are in year six. A lot of talented people have come and gone. Those left have never - ever - developed an MMO. And the latest producer they trotted out, Eric, has never - ever - shipped a game. Of any kind.

3) They needed a custom engine to do it. In 2016, we come to find out that they were making the switch from StarEngine to Lumberyard.

4) Even if they had all of the above, they couldn't possibly do it for less than $150 million. Well, here we are at that amount, and still not even 25% of a game, let alone two games. Not to mention that at $65 million, all stretch goals were 100% fully funded.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:12:54 AM by dsmart »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk