Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314611 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #540 on: July 28, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »
And would they reply with "Oh, nice try, sorry it went wrong but nobody has ever tried it before so here you have another 155 mil. to try again" or rather "How stupid are you that you can't make one decent pizza after all those years and 155 mil. in funding?"

Never mind, I know your answer.

Serendipity

« Reply #541 on: July 28, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »
I'm not as sure as you that it has gone wrong. They haven't finished making the pizza yet. It's still having its dough stretched and toppings decided. The tomato sauce is good.

Silly analogies are silly though, it's not a pizza that they're making. Pizza is easy. Game dev is hard. Doing things never done before in gaming is harder again. I'm a patient person and don't mind waiting.

Edit: Don't forget they're making two pizzas as well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:25:59 AM by Serendipity »

kathiley

« Reply #542 on: July 28, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
Creating a cryengine map more than a few km in size is new. CIG have done that with 2.0. If there is any other cryengine game that has maps over 20km in size please let me know and I'll edit my post and thought process, cheers.

Archeage. Open world MMO, released in 2013 with CryEngine 3.

Serendipity

« Reply #543 on: July 28, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »
Creating a cryengine map more than a few km in size is new. CIG have done that with 2.0. If there is any other cryengine game that has maps over 20km in size please let me know and I'll edit my post and thought process, cheers.

If you'd found one hundreds of km across then maybe, but come on. 20 ish does not come close to millions. Behave.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #544 on: July 28, 2017, 07:45:27 PM »
Yay! July 28th schedule is out!!  :supaburn:

Yeah, that slip is incorrect. Sources tell me that no way on this God's Earth is Sept even a realistic time frame. But you already knew this, because I TOTALLY CALLED IT three weeks ago. They're now doing the delays a little bit at a time to avoid panic. Good plan if you ask me.

Analysis, courtesy of Nicholas over on SA

Diff: http://www.mergely.com/vMlIAFNy/?wl=1/
Schedule Report: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Factual but not Truthful:

Completed: 3
Delayed: 7
Remaining: 14 (was 17)
Needs bug-fixing: 14 (was 14)
Total In-progress: 28 (was 30)
Furthest ETA: TBD or Aug 16th (was Aug 10th)

Excuses:

The following lists and charts show our progress towards releasing 3.0.0, with all remaining major tasks listed.

Tasks are either feature complete, or have an ETA for completion.

Some tasks may require further QA, bug-fixing and iteration.

Tasks that delay beyond our target dates might cause the release of 3.0.0 to be delayed, or might be excluded from 3.0.0 if appropriate to maintain the release date target. 3.0.0 work is separated into Subsections: Persistent Universe Content, FPS / Space Gameplay, Engineering, UI, AI, Graphics, Backend, Network, and Ships & Weapons.The 3.0.0 Procedural Planet update marks a major advance in the Star Citizen Persistent Universe.

This week, we entered the optimization, polish and bug fixing phase for the 3.0 feature set. As there have been so many features and content implemented, we’ve encountered some stability issues that we want to address before going to a wider test audience. The ongoing work on the new Patcher system (that will save you from having to completely re-download each build) and some new bugs with CopyBuild3 (our internal version of the patcher) have also slowed us down. Because of this we have pushed back the Evocati and subsequent date ranges to reflect the additional time needed to get Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 ready for prime time.

Completed:

- DELAMAR / LEVSKI - Shop kiosk implementation – Code complete

- ENTITY UPDATE COMPONENT SCHEDULER - Planned work for 3.0.0 is complete. This feature will extend past 3.0.0 as the work is ongoing, and continual improvements will be made in the run up to 3.0.0 release.

- CARGO MANIFEST APP - Bug fixing to follow.

Delayed:

- MISSION GIVERS - ETA is 11th August (was 28th July)
Reason: some code dependencies are still present and animation rework is still in progress

- ENTITY OWNER MANAGER - ETA is 11th August (was 28th July)
Reason: LA Engineering has identified further tasks needed to support persistence and netcode.

- CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION - ETA is TBD (was 25th July)
Reason: Players will now be able to customize their characters’ heads, hair, eye color, and skin color. The team has been supporting other features, so the date for this has slipped. Production is reassessing and will post a specific projection next week.

- VEHICLE CUSTOMIZER APP - ETA is 9th August (was 27th July)
Reason: Additional code support to fix issues with the Mission Manager, Hints, and the Ship Selector have delayed this feature slightly.

- COMMS SYSTEM UI - ETA is 16th August (was 25th July)
Reason: Delayed due to team being redirected to help resolve blockers on other issues.

- MISSION SYSTEM - ETA is 9th August (was 24th July)

- GEMINI L86 PISTOL - ETA is 2nd August (was 28th July)
Reason: The latest review of this weapon highlighted issues that need to be fixed before it is signed off as complete.

Remaining Open:

- MISSION GIVERS
- INVENTORY SYSTEM SUPPORT
- ENTITY OWNER MANAGER
- CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION
- VEHICLE CUSTOMIZER APP
- SHIP SELECTOR APP & INSURANCE CLAIM
- INVENTORY SYSTEM
- COMMS SYSTEM UI
- MISSION SYSTEM
- RENDER TO TEXTURE
- VOLUMETRIC FOG (still scheduled to be completed on June 9th)
- APOCALYPSE ARMS SCOURGE RAIL GUN (still scheduled to be completed on June 9th)
- RSI AURORA
- GEMINI L86 PISTOL

Needs bug fixing:

- Item 2.0 Ship Conversion – Part 2
- Insurance
- Doors and Airlocks
- Cargo
- Cargo Manifest App
- Kiosk Support
- Repair
- Hint System
- Personal Manager App
- Mission Manager App
- Physics Serialization
- Drake Dragonfly
- RSI Constellation Aquilla
- Misc Prospector

Meanwhile over there...

The schedule's analysis is becoming harder and harder to do each week. As you probably know, the schedule only contains "features" tasks, leaving out everything around like bugfixing, release preparation, and general polishing. As tasks get completed and CIG moves to the final phases of preparation for the release, we have less and less information on what's going on, and what's causing delays.

We'll start this week with the Mission Givers, which are under an animation rework. Also, some code dependencies are missing. All that pushes them by 2 weeks.

Next is the inventory system gamecode engineering. The schedule hasn't been updated on that, so we don't know if it's completed or not.

The Entity Owner Manager, which we've learned a bit in this week's ATV (check out the persistence segment), is also being delayed by 2 weeks.

Next is UI. We start with inventory, which as for the gamecode part hasn't been updated. The Character Customisation has been update though, but all CIG says is that they don't have an ETA anymore as developers are supporting other tasks. We then have the Vehicle Customiser App, which is delayed by 2 weeks, and the Comms System UI, which is delayed by 3 weeks. Both delays are due to developers supporting other tasks.

In the AI department, the Mission System is still under work, with an additionnal 2 weeks required.

Finally, the L86 Pistol Rework is delayed by 5 days, as the quality review discovered some elements that needed improvements.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:36:38 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

EmmettLazlo

« Reply #545 on: July 29, 2017, 01:19:51 AM »

If you'd found one hundreds of km across then maybe, but come on. 20 ish does not come close to millions. Behave.

Registered just to say perhaps a touchè wouldn't have gone amiss in your reply. Kathileys answer met your challenge beautifully.

Motto

« Reply #546 on: July 29, 2017, 03:08:14 AM »
CIG is right on schedule with 3.0 for not making Shitizencon too  :D

They mastered "Ponzi Scheme" but clearly need summerschool for "Scheduling and Planning for Game Development".

So, nothing to show for at Games Com for the 3.0 release. How are they gonna explain that? Or just swipe it under the rug with a new demo clip?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:50:21 AM by Motto »

kathiley

« Reply #547 on: July 29, 2017, 04:12:35 AM »

I just wanted to see this kind of response. That's all i wanted. Thank you  :smuggo:

Serendipity

« Reply #548 on: July 29, 2017, 04:16:07 AM »

Registered just to say perhaps a touchè wouldn't have gone amiss in your reply. Kathileys answer met your challenge beautifully.

Ai, true enough. My bad for not researching before challenging. My point remains valid though. A cryengine map millions of km access is still new.

They mastered "Ponzi Scheme" but clearly need summerschool for "Scheduling and Planning for Game Development".

So, nothing to show for at Games Com for the 3.0 release. How are they gonna explain that? Or just swipe it under the rug with a new demo clip?

There will be plenty of new stuff to show off, including perhaps a Squadron demo missing from last year.

In what way does Ponzi apply? Which new investors are having their money given to which old investors?

Serendipity

« Reply #549 on: July 29, 2017, 04:17:32 AM »

I just wanted to see this kind of response. That's all i wanted. Thank you  :smuggo:

You're welcome. I stand by millions of km being new.

kathiley

« Reply #550 on: July 29, 2017, 04:23:43 AM »

You're welcome. I stand by millions of km being new.

Nobody said anything else (at least for CryEngine).
But you show perfectly, that you are not able to discuss in a neutral way.

You ask a specific question. You get a valid neutral answer. And your only reaction is: Deny the answer.
Think about it.

Serendipity

« Reply #551 on: July 29, 2017, 04:57:22 AM »
The number I picked wasn't quite big enough, that's all. The point remains. If I'd have asked for a 50km map we wouldn't be having this pointless discussion.

I was wrong, (assuming that map has no loading between zones), and I got my information from the Cryengine forums where a dev answered a question with the answer of a single map being a maximum of 13km if memory serves. That might have been specific to a different version perhaps, I don't know.

Anyway, my challenge was answered but my point remains. 64 bit positioning and millions of km is new in cryengine.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:05:46 AM by Serendipity »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #552 on: July 29, 2017, 05:39:47 AM »

Oh just wait. Sources have told me EXACTLY what they're going to be doing. On Aug 22nd, I am going to be releasing a "scoop" article with the plan. And this time, they won't have time to change it on me.

Last year when I kept saying that GamesCom and CitizenCon were just showcasing R&D demos which no basis on the game client, some people thought I was just saying shit. Even when I said the 3.0 release schedule and Roberts' claims to a Dec 19th release were bullshit, some were skeptical. Well, here we are. 12 MONTHS later.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #553 on: July 29, 2017, 05:51:05 AM »
I think that's because Chris keeps on refactoring his schedules by adding fidelity to it.

But I figured it out:

build bugfix - deliver bugfix - test bugfix - find other bugs - replan the schedule to fix bugs - build bugfix - deliver bugfix - test bugfix - find other bugs - replan the schedule to fix bugs - build bugfix - deliver bugfix - test bugfix - find other bugs - replan the schedule to fix bugs - build bugfix - deliver bugfix - test bugfix - find other bugs - replan the schedule to fix bugs - build bugfix - deliver bugfix - test bugfix - find other bugs - replan the schedule to fix bugs etc. etc. etc.

The only thing not sequential in this is the "ask for more money routine". They have too much options for that to fit it in, so they keep that one running seperately on a single permanent schedule.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:55:33 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #554 on: July 29, 2017, 05:54:39 AM »
Everyone stand back, I GOT THIS!!  :supaburn:

Ai, true enough. My bad for not researching before challenging. My point remains valid though. A cryengine map millions of km access is still new.

The "map" isn't "millions of km" across. It's not a "contiguous" piece. I've written about that before, back in Nov 2015. You should maybe read it in order to get a clear idea of how tech actually works. What makes you think that - ANY - game engine editor could load a world map that is "millions" of km across? And what evidence have you seen anywhere, let alone from CIG, to suggest that?

There will be plenty of new stuff to show off, including perhaps a Squadron demo missing from last year.

And you know this how exactly?

My sources have said that they may release a video or short scripted play through of a SQ42 segment, a game that's already +3 years late and has no internal release date.

In what way does Ponzi apply? Which new investors are having their money given to which old investors?

Oh, you think Ponzi only implies investors? Dude, no.

Raising money from new backers, in order to pay off refunding backers, is the very concept of a Ponzi scheme. That's how that actually works. And like an investment Ponzi scheme, once they can no longer refund backers, the whole thing falls apart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk