Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314067 times)

Padrepapp

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #870 on: August 14, 2017, 03:41:39 AM »
I can accept it because I don't care about waiting for a video game. My life is full of other things and other games. I lose no sleep over this. It's not normal I suppose but very little about this project is normal.

Yet you have 130+ comments about this. This shows how you don't care.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #871 on: August 14, 2017, 04:23:49 AM »
I can accept it because I don't care about waiting for a video game. My life is full of other things and other games. I lose no sleep over this. It's not normal I suppose but very little about this project is normal.

:laugh: :supaburn: :vince:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #872 on: August 14, 2017, 04:33:28 AM »
If you say so. Personally not really bothered if it was. They've had my money so now I'm waiting for a couple of cool space games. I'm in no rush.

They've added new stuff to 3.0 as well as removed stuff, it's almost as if, "Gamedev is like a jigsaw puzzle that you put together piece by piece. Like seeing how the sausage is made, it’s not always glamorous, stuff breaks (like all the time); and sometimes you put in a wrong piece that doesn’t fit (making it either a bug or a bad design choice) at all. Then you refactor it, put in a new piece that either fits, or breaks everything that previously worked 

Those are Derek's words. He understands game development is hard and unpredictable.

You see, the difference is that you don't then consistently LIE about things in order to continue SCAMMING backers out of their money.

You can take as long as you want, and do ANYTHING you want with your project when it's YOUR money to burn. e.g. back in 2014 I made the decision to do a spin-off game, Line Of Defense Tactics because I already knew that i) LoD was going to take longer ii) we already had all the assets we needed.

So in less than 12 months, we had a multi-platform (PC, mobile, XBOX1) game which later made back its entire approx $500K investment on mobile alone in less than a month. That money went back in the company, which then continued to spend it on LoD. That's called planning. And it wasn't money from backers, banks, or investors. It was all company money. And we're looking at yet another spin-off game in the LoD franchise which will make two games released since Star Citizen was announced.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Serendipity

« Reply #873 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:46 AM »

How does posting on this forum mean I care about the game taking time to be completed? I'm just passing the time. I really don't care about waiting for a video game. Posting on here proves nothing contrary to that statement at all.

Even if this isn't lying to the backers, it's at least gross incompetence. 

Again with the absolutes. It doesn't have to be one of the other. It might be that, as the caveats state, the dates were nothing but aggressive targets that had to change to reflect reality. No deadlines. No promises. Just a hard working dev team doing their best to get it done. If you'd read the caveats and words within the updates you should have noticed this possibility.

Motto

« Reply #874 on: August 14, 2017, 04:41:51 AM »
And we're looking at yet another spin-off game in the LoD franchise which will make two games released since Star Citizen was announced.

But you don't have their kind of fidelity. And you're not using the latest technology. And you're not doing things that have never ever been done before. Basically, you're not building the BDSSE, so that's no comparison. My guess is, you're just trying to hitch a hike on the whole SC Versing the Burning Down Universe... And has Sandi now signed on, or are you still negotiating with her?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #875 on: August 14, 2017, 04:43:41 AM »
Please. Not this „people don't understand game development“ stuff again. As for release dates… they are no longer with us. Are we supposed to accept this straightfaced? Who in their right mind would think that this is the most normal thing in the world to happen??

No, it's not normal. Imagine if Chris went to a publisher and said, "We're not putting dates on the schedule anymore". Their contract would be terminated immediately.

Fact is, as I stated back in May, there IS a schedule. There always was. It's just internal and goes on through 2021. And CIG has been feeding backers bullshit. Now it has become 100% clear that "Derek Smart was right" - again - and instead of continuing the farce of pretending that the public schedule is correct, they just replaced it entirely with bullshit that basically reverts everything back to square one. Remember, they weren't even doing schedules until Dec 2016, almost 18 months after I spent my own money on legal bills asking them to provide one to backers. Now it's gone again.

N0mad

« Reply #876 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:03 AM »
It might be that, as the caveats state, the dates were nothing but aggressive targets that had to change to reflect reality. No deadlines. No promises. Just a hard working dev team doing their best to get it done. If you'd read the caveats and words within the updates you should have noticed this possibility.

CR referring to 3.0 at GamesCom August 2016: "It's our big end of the year release. We're going to get it out at the end of the year, hopefully not on December the 19th"
"I get shot for making promises, but that's our goal"

He said that to a room full of people who are effectively his publishers and here we are still waiting - 8 months and counting - but it's OK because it's an "aggressive target"   :vince:

Serendipity

« Reply #877 on: August 14, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »
It might be that, as the caveats state, the dates were nothing but aggressive targets that had to change to reflect reality. No deadlines. No promises. Just a hard working dev team doing their best to get it done. If you'd read the caveats and words within the updates you should have noticed this possibility.

CR referring to 3.0 at GamesCom August 2016: "It's our big end of the year release. We're going to get it out at the end of the year, hopefully not on December the 19th"

He said that to a room full of people who are effectively his publishers and here we are still waiting - 8 months and counting - but it's OK because it's an "aggressive target"   :vince:

The goal was missed. I don't care. If the company collapses before I get my games, then I'll care. Until then I'm ok to wait and watch. People raging about missed dates in video game  releases always makes me laugh. I just don't get it. It doesn't matter to me if I play a game now or in 12 months. The funding isn't slowing down, it's up on last year's Jan to Aug, so I'm confident financial collapse isn't happening this year or early next.

Watching streamers play 2.6 at gamescom is a little naff to be fair as that's, ermmm, exactly what happened last year but getting a reasonably stable 3.0 patch soon after and then showing a chunk of squadron at citizencon should bolster backer confidence and the CIG bank balance significantly.

My crystal ball is now going back in the cupboard.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #878 on: August 14, 2017, 07:21:19 AM »
And we're looking at yet another spin-off game in the LoD franchise which will make two games released since Star Citizen was announced.

But you don't have their kind of fidelity. And you're not using the latest technology. And you're not doing things that have never ever been done before. Basically, you're not building the BDSSE, so that's no comparison. My guess is, you're just trying to hitch a hike on the whole SC Versing the Burning Down Universe... And has Sandi now signed on, or are you still negotiating with her?

Right. That's the part that we need to catch up on. It's tough being an indie you see  :laugh:

Serendipity

« Reply #879 on: August 14, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »

Right. That's the part that we need to catch up on. It's tough being an indie you see  :laugh:

Couple of questions.

What does indie mean for a game Dev company?

Who are Star Citizen and Squadron 42's publisher?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #880 on: August 14, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
Couple of questions.

What does indie mean for a game Dev company?

Who are Star Citizen and Squadron 42's publisher?

As most of us have decided that it's a waste of time engaging you in any sort of discussion, I have joined the party. So just going to ignore you. Life's too short, and you're just part of wasting what's left of it.  :wave:

Serendipity

« Reply #881 on: August 14, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
I feel grief

Motto

« Reply #882 on: August 14, 2017, 03:04:37 PM »
Well, you better get used to that. There is a lot more pain coming...

nightfire

« Reply #883 on: August 14, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
This is amazing!

Why CIG does not have private investors?

These guys really see nothing wrong with their own idiocy  :vince:

StanTheMan

« Reply #884 on: August 14, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »

The goal was missed. I don't care. If the company collapses before I get my games, then I'll care. Until then I'm ok to wait and watch. People raging about missed dates in video game  releases always makes me laugh. I just don't get it. It doesn't matter to me if I play a game now or in 12 months. The funding isn't slowing down, it's up on last year's Jan to Aug, so I'm confident financial collapse isn't happening this year or early next.

Watching streamers play 2.6 at gamescom is a little naff to be fair as that's, ermmm, exactly what happened last year but getting a reasonably stable 3.0 patch soon after and then showing a chunk of squadron at citizencon should bolster backer confidence and the CIG bank balance significantly.

My crystal ball is now going back in the cupboard.

There are people that have died waiting for SC having spent over $10k...

Now sure .. thats not proving anything much but they took CR on his word just as many Backers have.

People rage over missed dates because it is UNPROFESSIONAL to manage projects in the way CR is doing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk