Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1313448 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #915 on: August 18, 2017, 05:40:16 AM »
End of September maybe?

Ha ha ha ha

and I thought you didn't have a sense of humour  :lol:

October would be my guess, seeing as Sept is already knocking up on CitizenCon. But from what I'm hearing, that too is a very long shot. And unless they cut it and/or ship it with the pre-existing problems (serious hard locks, performance issues etc) like they did with 2.0, even Dec is tough.

They're between a rock and a hard place. They simply cannot release 3.0 in any condition now, and think it's going to be OK with backers. Especially since that whole "Chris is a perfectionist" bullshit went out the window a long time ago.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #916 on: August 18, 2017, 06:38:11 AM »
Uncharted, 2011 screen shot:

Uncharted - The Lost Legacy screen shot:

Kotaku review

LOL!! And Squadron 42 still hasn't even matched that.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #917 on: August 18, 2017, 06:53:27 AM »
Star Citizen

Serendipity

« Reply #918 on: August 18, 2017, 10:40:50 PM »
Squadron 42 hasn't matched that? Really?

Hogwash.

N0mad

« Reply #919 on: August 19, 2017, 12:52:33 AM »
Squadron 42 hasn't matched that? Really? Hogwash.
Yeah but once you stop looking at all the prerendered visuals and look in game.

What Cryengine can do:

StarEngine

Well at least his coffee will now be rendered with fidelicious realistic fluid physics  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:09:24 AM by N0mad »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #920 on: August 19, 2017, 05:04:21 AM »
Well at least his coffee will now be rendered with fidelicious realistic fluid physics  :lol:

LOL!! You beat me to it :D

Also...from 2015

$156M!!  :lol: :lol:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #921 on: August 19, 2017, 06:09:14 AM »
And this was from a recent broadcast

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #922 on: August 19, 2017, 06:58:51 AM »
Well, the latest schedule report is up. Good thing they're not doing dates anymore.

They went from this:

To this:

Report: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Diff: https://www.diffchecker.com/IHZVKDdv

Completed: 1
Delayed: 5
Regressed: 0
New Tasks: 0
Remaining: 8
Needs bug-fixing: 24
Total In-progress: 32
Furthest ETA: TBD or Sept 6th (was TBD or Sept 1st)

This part is hilarious.

This week we have also moved the code onto its own 3.0 branch. “Branching” is when we copy the code from our main repository, where all the developers send their fixes and implementations at any time, to a separate “branch” and start looking more closely at what is changing, to make sure that any activity happening is absolutely necessary for our target build.

Meanwhile, over there, they don't understand what "branching" means, and that it has NOTHING to do with:

Now that they're isolated from the main branch, there should be way fewer new bugs happening, which will definitely help reducing the still impressive amount of bugs remaining for evocati release.

COMPLETED

- ENTITY OWNER MANAGER - Code Complete. This now allows the backend team to properly hook into this system.

DELAYED

- IMPROVED LIGHTING FOR FOG TECH - ETA
This work is still being estimated due to cross-discipline dependencies.

- MISSION GIVERS - ETA is 25th August

- VEHICLE CUSTOMIZER APP - ETA is 4th September (was 21st August)
During recent gameplay reviews with the directors, additional items of polish and general feature feedback has been recieved and incorporated into the scheudle to achieve the desired level of polish we require before releasing.

- SHIP SELECTOR APP & INSURANCE CLAIM - ETA is 29th August (Was 15th August)
During recent gameplay reviews with the directors, additional items of polish and general feature feedback has been recieved and incorporated into the scheudle to achieve the desired level of polish we require before releasing.

- COMMS SYSTEM UI - ETA is 6th September (was 25th August)

OPEN

- MISSION GIVERS
- CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION
- VEHICLE CUSTOMIZER APP
- SHIP SELECTOR APP & INSURANCE CLAIM
- COMMS SYSTEM UI
- MISSION SYSTEM
- ADDITIONAL SURFACE OUTPOSTS
- IMPROVED LIGHTING FOR FOG TECH

BUG FIXING

- INVENTORY SYSTEM SUPPORT
- INVENTORY SYSTEM
- ITEM 2.0 SHIP CONVERSION – PART 2
- INSURANCE
- DOORS AND AIRLOCKS
- CARGO
- CARGO MANIFEST APP
- KIOSK SUPPORT
- REPAIR
- HINT SYSTEM
- PERSONAL MANAGER APP
- MISSION MANAGER APP
- MISSION BOARD APP
- PHYSICS SERIALIZATION
- DRAKE DRAGONFLY
- RSI CONSTELLATION AQUILLA
- MISC PROSPECTOR
- ROVER AND DRAGONFLY IN SHIPS
- ITEM 2.0 MULTI FUNCTION DISPLAYS
- MOBIGLAS OVERHAUL
- RENDER TO TEXTURE
- RSI AURORA
- PLAYER MANNED TURRETS
- ENTITY OWNER MANAGER
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:04:18 PM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #923 on: August 19, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »

NIDTechnology

« Reply #924 on: August 19, 2017, 08:06:47 AM »
I want to apologize to you Derek, for giving you cheek all these years directly and indirectly across various platforms over this project.

I can't believe I didn't see this impending disaster for what it is. After following their nebulous production schedule in detail for months now, it's apparent. Even if they manage to Frankenstein together something in the coming year or two, all signs point to SC forever remaining an early access alpha; a titanic abortion in more practical terms.

Now I'm just following ongoing development out of morbid curiosity.  :smugdog:

Karmic Cake

« Reply #925 on: August 19, 2017, 09:06:34 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #926 on: August 19, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
I want to apologize to you Derek, for giving you cheek all these years directly and indirectly across various platforms over this project.

I can't believe I didn't see this impending disaster for what it is. After following their nebulous production schedule in detail for months now, it's apparent. Even if they manage to Frankenstein together something in the coming year or two, all signs point to SC forever remaining an early access alpha; a titanic abortion in more practical terms.

Now I'm just following ongoing development out of morbid curiosity.  :smugdog:

Nah man, it's all good. No apologies needed. We're all gamers, we're autistic and tend to engage in all manner of tomfoolery for whatever the "gaming cause of the moment" happens to be. It's in our DNA.

This is nuthin'. Once this shit-show is over, we'll be waiting for the next one. And here were thought we had peaked fighting over NMS.  :laugh:

Motto

« Reply #927 on: August 19, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me the least if they "leaked" this news on purpose so they can feel the temperature out there... the only wise ones are the ones saying they'll wait 'till after 3.0

Best quote: Awesome I can't wait to give CIG some more money for all the promises that have fulfilled this year!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:13:54 PM by Motto »

NIDTechnology

« Reply #928 on: August 19, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
Make no mistake, the impending demos, promises and CGI montages will be spectacular. They need to be to stimulate the next round of ship sales. May burn existing fans who have put some time into following development and see the futility of the schedule, but the goal is to grow the whale farm overall. I still believe they can keep this train going for a couple more years until it derails. Perhaps siphon off $250+ million in total and spit out something akin to a really pretty but equally as shallow No man's sky with multiplayer tacked on from the get-go. Maybe even a severely scaled down version of SQ42.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #929 on: August 20, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »
Make no mistake, the impending demos, promises and CGI montages will be spectacular. They need to be to stimulate the next round of ship sales. May burn existing fans who have put some time into following development and see the futility of the schedule, but the goal is to grow the whale farm overall. I still believe they can keep this train going for a couple more years until it derails. Perhaps siphon off $250+ million in total and spit out something akin to a really pretty but equally as shallow No man's sky with multiplayer tacked on from the get-go. Maybe even a severely scaled down version of SQ42.

There was a point where I believed that a group of whales would keep this shit-show going awhile longer. Not any more. 2017 has been a major tipping point. Even the 2K or so backers still giving them money, are probably going to bail, even if 3.0 is the Jesus Patch some think that it is.

I mean, consider that they are apparently going to have a $400 (!!) ship sale at GamesCom.  :laugh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk